spectator with young kids?

margot31

DIS Veteran
So we arrive on friday evening for the half marathon my husband is running. I have two small kids. 4 & 2. We are staying at all star music family suite. I was thinking of going right over to magic kingdom as my first spot and jump on the monorail to go to epcot. We think my spouse will be at the end of the pack and not sure what time I need to leave the resort and all.

I have two strollers I could use. A double runner or a single umbrella. Not sure which would be best for my situation.

This is our first run disney experience so I am very very lost. I am good with disney as we are pass holders but never run disney.

Race starts at 5:30. The later corrals will go off after 6AM.

You should probably at least be on your way to the Magic Kingdom around the time the race starts.

Then monorail is an easy ride the finish.

In terms of strollers it would be what ever is easiest for you to get through to the locations you want to spectate.

You should probably at least be on your way to the Magic Kingdom around the time the race starts.

In terms of strollers it would be what ever is easiest for you to get through to the locations you want to spectate.

One concern is crowds of spectators. Both are fine. If I could keep the double opened and keep the kids contained which means crowds would be lower vs higher and the single stroller and keep the other on my hand.

One concern is crowds of spectators. Both are fine. If I could keep the double opened and keep the kids contained which means crowds would be lower vs higher and the single stroller and keep the other on my hand.
You’ll experience better crowds the earlier you get to the spectating spots I would think. Main Street does get pretty crowded and certain spots are sectioned off for cheer squad packages.

As I am thinking further...should I be leaving at when it actually starts or more when my husband should be starting. Like I said he will be in the back of the pack....

As I am thinking further...should I be leaving at when it actually starts or more when my husband should be starting. Like I said he will be in the back of the pack....
The earlier you leave the better spot you will have to see him so it really depends on what you want to do.

Are you relying on bus transportation or will you have a car? If bus, there will probably be a gap from 5 to 6ish when the buses don't run--the buses from hotels to Epcot stop at 5 and the buses from Epcot to the hotels start back up at 6. I can't swear to it since I've never been a spectator, but you better check it out. If you have a car, you can drive to Epcot.

MK is at 5 miles into the race. If, say, your husband started at 6, ran 10mpm pace and didn't stop for character photos he would get to MK before 7am. You would be unlikely to see him if you waited and got a later bus.

@DopeyBadger does wonders with his spreadsheet figuring this out. Find out your husband's bib number/corral and estimated pace and he can estimate better times.

But bottom line, I would take the last runner bus (5ish) and head to MK.

Last edited:

I can’t help with timing but I would definitely take the double. Then at least there’s a spot for each of them to sit/sleep/rack up data on your phone (just kidding - put on the WiFi!). My kids don’t come with us but if they were, I would bring the double packed to the gills with food, candy, entertainment, and plenty of blankets and changes of clothes. Also pick up some noise makers and glow sticks. Both will entertain them and they can participate in the rowdiness of the crowd.

I can’t help with timing but I would definitely take the double. Then at least there’s a spot for each of them to sit/sleep/rack up data on your phone (just kidding - put on the WiFi!). My kids don’t come with us but if they were, I would bring the double packed to the gills with food, candy, entertainment, and plenty of blankets and changes of clothes. Also pick up some noise makers and glow sticks. Both will entertain them and they can participate in the rowdiness of the crowd.

My husband wants us all there....plus we only live 3 hours away so we were going to make a quick trip to feel better about buying the annual pass. Last marathon i spectated for was the marine corps one and that was when we were in college so it was easy to run around DC trying to see him.

I would take the doubed so the kids have someplace to sit. We chose not to go into the MK. We started at TTC and walked over to Poly where we had time for a quick breakfast before our runners went by. Then we hopped on the monorail for Epcot. Don't forget to bring supplies for a sign!

I would take the doubed so the kids have someplace to sit. We chose not to go into the MK. We started at TTC and walked over to Poly where we had time for a quick breakfast before our runners went by. Then we hopped on the monorail for Epcot. Don't forget to bring supplies for a sign!

What time did you get to TTC? I thought I might be able to leave the resort around 6 which would be his start time and go to MK first. This is our first...and I feel like the website doesn't give much info. Plus we have never stayed at a value resort so not sure the time to get to MK and all. Like I said it was easy doing the MCM years ago cause the people I was spectating with well we know DC and all and I didn't have small kids.

Are you relying on bus transportation or will you have a car? If bus, there will probably be a gap from 5 to 6ish when the buses don't run--the buses from hotels to Epcot stop at 5 and the buses from Epcot to the hotels start back up at 6. I can't swear to it since I've never been a spectator, but you better check it out. If you have a car, you can drive to Epcot.

MK is at 5 miles into the race. If, say, your husband started at 6, ran 10mpm pace and didn't stop for character photos he would get to MK before 7am. You would be unlikely to see him if you waited and got a later bus.

@DopeyBadger does wonders with his spreadsheet figuring this out. Find out your husband's bib number/corral and estimated pace and he can estimate better times.

But bottom line, I would take the last runner bus (5ish) and head to MK.

I would prefer to use disney transportation even though I will have my car. But like said I am so lost on even good places to go and really where I should be to max out what I can see type thing. He is only doing the half marathon and from what I am reading anytime they go near the resorts only those (from what I am understanding on the run disney website) staying at that hotel are only able to see. So I am very lost.

So we arrive on friday evening for the half marathon my husband is running. I have two small kids. 4 & 2. We are staying at all star music family suite. I was thinking of going right over to magic kingdom as my first spot and jump on the monorail to go to epcot. We think my spouse will be at the end of the pack and not sure what time I need to leave the resort and all.

I have two strollers I could use. A double runner or a single umbrella. Not sure which would be best for my situation.

This is our first run disney experience so I am very very lost. I am good with disney as we are pass holders but never run disney.

I'll take a stab at it!

First, here's a listing of recommended spectator viewing locations for the HM:

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.50.01 PM.png

https://guide.rundisney.events/spectator-viewpoint-locations/

The bus transportation schedule:

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.50.54 PM.png

So if you plan to take the bus from All Stars to EPCOT to board the monorail for either TTC/Poly or MK, then you need to be on the bus no later than 5:00am. It says buses start running again at 6:00am from "Finish Line to Host Resorts". However, every year prior to this, the first bus to leave the resorts after they stop running at 5am is a 7am bus. So possibly a new starting time of 6:00am, or possibly a misstatement of sorts. The 5k bus definitely does not start running at 3:30am from the finish to resorts because in year's past it wasn't until 6:30am. So I'd say to be on the safe side, either ask the person in charge loading the buses (MEARS employee at the bus pickup location at AS) or assume 5am is the very last bus leaving AS.

From that bus, you will be dropped off at EPCOT. From EPCOT, get on the monorail that takes you to the TTC. You can either watch for him at the TTC and then walk to the Polynesian Hotel (many people do this because you can see your runner twice). Or you can continue on from the TTC to MK where you will see him once (but in the spectacle that is Magic Kingdom Main Street). The spectator guide above says "Accessible to guests of Polynesian". However, it has said that in the past as well and others have done the TTC/Poly viewing prior without issue (of course who knows if this is the year they try and prevent people, but I'd be surprised).

2016 Guide:

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 1.14.08 PM.png

I'm assuming your DH has found his waiver, bib number, and thus corral assignment. If not, then go here:

Waiver - LINK
Bib Number - Found at the bottom of waiver
Corral Assignment - LINK

I estimate the start times for the different corrals to be very close to this:

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 1.00.38 PM.png

I'm splitting the difference and assuming by back of the pack that he will be close to a 15 min/mile HM pace. So I placed him in Corral G (a pure guess on my end and you can provide me with his corral assignment and I can change the timing of this chart).

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 1.01.20 PM.png

So I gave you multiple scenarios where he is running a 14 min/mile through a 15:30 min/mile. The "TTC" would be the estimated time he would arrive at that location around mile 4. Then "Main Street" and also "Polynesian". It also lets you figure out how much time you'll have before you need to get back to the finish line.

-The monorail to the TTC from EPCOT takes 15 min of ride time.
-The monorail to MK from TTC takes 15 min (and is a bit of a transfer).
-The MK to EPCOT finish area seems to take around 15+15+10 (~40 min) + 15 min walk to finish area = 55 min.

Here's an old thread that might be helpful:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/help-with-marathon-spectating.3652184/

And this was that person's outcome:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/help-with-marathon-spectating.3652184/page-3#post-58653571

"I hope this is helpful for others - if I had it do over I would board a bus at 4:50am - go to Epcot - check out the starting area - monorail to TTC - watch my runner at TTC - monorail to GF - watch my runner at GF - monorail to TTC - monorail to Epcot - watch my runner enter Epcot - and then walk to finish and watch my runner finish."

So we arrive on friday evening for the half marathon my husband is running.

Be aware that the HM is Saturday morning. You are suppose to pick up your bib the day prior (Friday). The expo closes at 7pm on Friday.

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 1.10.51 PM.png

There is an unadvertised emergency pickup the morning of the race at the race staging area, but this is unadvertised and does not mean it will happen again. So I'd be sure to pick up prior to 7pm on Friday to feel safe.

At this point i am about to say forget this buddy we will see you back at the resort when you are done. Not saying I don't want to support him but this bib thing and all he hasn't given me the info only the general emails from run disney and its just still all confusing to me. I figured busses would still be moving around to help...so I can only get a bus to epcot at this point and go from there?

At this point i am about to say forget this buddy we will see you back at the resort when you are done. Not saying I don't want to support him but this bib thing and all he hasn't given me the info only the general emails from run disney and its just still all confusing to me.

runDisney emails are spotty. So he may or may not have even received an email informing him that waivers/bibs/corral information is available. Just use the links right here:

Waiver - LINK
Bib Number - Found at the bottom of waiver
Corral Assignment - LINK

All you need to know is his last name and birthdate and you can find his waiver. The #at the bottom is the bib# which correlates to the corral assignment on the other link. It'll take about 60 seconds total to find the info.

I figured busses would still be moving around to help...so I can only get a bus to epcot at this point and go from there?

All normal buses won't be moving around yet as the theme parks won't be open. So the buses available for race purposes are run through a contracted company MEARS (like giant coach buses instead of normal Disney buses with plastic seats). So yes, at 5am the only bus available is from your hotel to EPCOT. There is no bus that takes you directly from your hotel to TTC or from your hotel to MK until the normal theme park buses start. Since MK doesn't open until 9am on 1/12/19 (HM day), then the theme park buses won't start running by the time even the last people are running through Main Street. I will also say that the buses can get busy leaving from the hotels. So showing up at 4:55am for a 5:00am bus may or may not work depending on how busy your hotel is.

What time did you get to TTC? I thought I might be able to leave the resort around 6 which would be his start time and go to MK first. This is our first...and I feel like the website doesn't give much info. Plus we have never stayed at a value resort so not sure the time to get to MK and all. Like I said it was easy doing the MCM years ago cause the people I was spectating with well we know DC and all and I didn't have small kids.

The problem is that the runners are using road so it's difficult to get where you want to be. We didn't want to take a chance of missing our opportunity to get where we wanted to be on time. We took one of the last race buses so about 455. I assume we went to EP and monorailed to TTC, those details are fuzzy. One of runners was in the fast group and we got to TTC well before the race started. You'll see that they do allow cars on the road in front of the TCC/poly/GF, but it's a matter holding cars to take turns on the road and you're driving by the runners. I would not be comfortable trying to drive into the area once the race starts.

Thank you for all this info...now its all starting to make more sense to me. Its hard to talk with him as we are both stressed from our days and his training so it makes talking very hard. Heck he just walked in and is like i don't want to do this one thing we were going to do now and I'm like good thing i didn't buy tickets. but what are we doing now as my parents are visiting........

But this info is getting more helpful about us viewing his running and all.

I actually don't think you can take a double stroller on a race bus. You might not even be able to take a single. With little kids, it might make more sense for you to go later to the finish line viewing area at Epcot.

I actually don't think you can take a double stroller on a race bus. You might not even be able to take a single. With little kids, it might make more sense for you to go later to the finish line viewing area at Epcot.
I have seen a stroller, but since race busses are coaches, not Disney busses, the driver put the stroller under the bus in the luggage compartment, so I think you’d need to be able to hold onto the children on the bus and put them back in the stroller when you arrive.

I have seen a stroller, but since race busses are coaches, not Disney busses, the driver put the stroller under the bus in the luggage compartment, so I think you’d need to be able to hold onto the children on the bus and put them back in the stroller when you arrive.

Even with this info...maybe we will take my car plus with people trying to get back to resorts after the race....Will TTC parking be opened early for the spectators?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter