Special Services Buses

KatieS98

Earning My Ears
So, I read this on the forums:

SPECIAL SITUATIONS:
Two or more guests in a party using mobility devices who need wheelchair spots

Contact Guest Relations, or a Bus Supervisor, or ANY bus driver, and ask for one of the "Special Services Buses".
- two buses reserved for larger parties, with multiple wheelchairs.
- each bus has FIVE wheelchair stations, and plenty of seating.
- especially helpful for groups visiting from schools for the disAbled
- there is no charge to use these buses
These buses can usually arrive within 20 minutes of being requested and will take you and your party wherever you need to go. You are much better off making your request well in advance--a driver is not assigned to one of these buses until its needed. You may make arrangements, if needed, with your driver for future pickups.

On this thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

Is it actually a thing? My party would probably need it if it's real. The reason I'm doubting it is because we rang up the disability helpline and no one knew about it.
2 of our party are in ECVs and another 2 in foldable wheelchairs. When we rang the disability helpline they said we aren't allowed to fold the wheelchairs up, they'd have to take another 2 spaces on the bus, meaning we will need 2 buses every time we go out! Hiring a car isn't really an option for us as we're from England and driving is so much different in America.

Thanks for any help you can give
-Katie

That info was posted by @SueM in MN so I have no doubt it was true at the time it was posted. She recently posted similar info on another thread so that leads me to believe it is still true. I'm sure she'll be along to comment.

I noticed it says to contact "Guest Relations, or a Bus Supervisor, or ANY bus driver" rather than Disability Services. One would hope the Disability team would have that info, but it's always possible a CM isn't fully informed. 3+ mobility devices in one party is probably not a very common situation.

As to manual folding wheelchairs -- I'm sorry you received incorrect information. Manual wheelchairs may be folded and held as a stroller, but that is not required. Your party could fit on 1 bus assuming no one else with a wheelchair/ECV is onboard before you, and the 2 in manual wheelchairs don't mind transferring then folding and holding the chairs. Or someone else in the party may help to hold the folded chairs.

Enjoy your vacation!

That info was posted by @SueM in MN so I have no doubt it was true at the time it was posted. She recently posted similar info on another thread so that leads me to believe it is still true. I'm sure she'll be along to comment.

I noticed it says to contact "Guest Relations, or a Bus Supervisor, or ANY bus driver" rather than Disability Services. One would hope the Disability team would have that info, but it's always possible a CM isn't fully informed. 3+ mobility devices in one party is probably not a very common situation.

As to manual folding wheelchairs -- I'm sorry you received incorrect information. Manual wheelchairs may be folded and held as a stroller, but that is not required. Your party could fit on 1 bus assuming no one else with a wheelchair/ECV is onboard before you, and the 2 in manual wheelchairs don't mind transferring then folding and holding the chairs. Or someone else in the party may help to hold the folded chairs.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks very much :) Yea, I'm starting to believe the disability helpline was mis-informed, especially if you are allowed to fold up the wheelchairs.

So, I read this on the forums:

SPECIAL SITUATIONS:
Two or more guests in a party using mobility devices who need wheelchair spots

Contact Guest Relations, or a Bus Supervisor, or ANY bus driver, and ask for one of the "Special Services Buses".
- two buses reserved for larger parties, with multiple wheelchairs.
- each bus has FIVE wheelchair stations, and plenty of seating.
- especially helpful for groups visiting from schools for the disAbled
- there is no charge to use these buses
These buses can usually arrive within 20 minutes of being requested and will take you and your party wherever you need to go. You are much better off making your request well in advance--a driver is not assigned to one of these buses until its needed. You may make arrangements, if needed, with your driver for future pickups.

On this thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

Is it actually a thing? My party would probably need it if it's real. The reason I'm doubting it is because we rang up the disability helpline and no one knew about it.
2 of our party are in ECVs and another 2 in foldable wheelchairs. When we rang the disability helpline they said we aren't allowed to fold the wheelchairs up, they'd have to take another 2 spaces on the bus, meaning we will need 2 buses every time we go out! Hiring a car isn't really an option for us as we're from England and driving is so much different in America.

Thanks for any help you can give
-Katie
I am guessing that the helpline is a call center not even at WDW so not surprised they might not know. hate to say it but I wouldn't trust any phone call to any department at WDW. I am assuming you are staying onsite when you get here I would talk to front desk CM when you get here. again do not phone go to desk. I would not look to rent car/van as I do not know one that would work for your party without taking coming from England and the different driving. wish I have a better idea for you

I am guessing that the helpline is a call center not even at WDW so not surprised they might not know. hate to say it but I wouldn't trust any phone call to any department at WDW. I am assuming you are staying onsite when you get here I would talk to front desk CM when you get here. again do not phone go to desk. I would not look to rent car/van as I do not know one that would work for your party without taking coming from England and the different driving. wish I have a better idea for you

Thanks Betty :) Yes, I think we're going to have to hope the hotel knows about the Special Services Buses. If not, we were told by the helpline that they would at least be able to order another bus for us, which should help! As for the times we'd be going to other resorts (and would need more than 1 bus), it'll have to be 2 taxis. Which will be $100+ each time! Luckily this is only going to happen 2 times during our stay.

What lanejudy wrote is correct.
We have never used those buses, but I have occasionally seen them. I got the info I posted recently in the other thread from a bus supervisor in April 2018. I don’t remember what he told me exactly about the number of passengers, but I believe it was the same as I posted previously.

When you get to your WDW resort, you’ll notice the phone has a bunch of direct connect buttons. There is one for Transportation- that’s the number I would use. The concierge at your resort should be able to help you also.

With 2 ECVs and 2 foldable wheelchairs, you may not have difficulty getting around on the buses, especially if you are not traveling at peak times. Worst case scenario would be taking separate buses and meeting up later.

What lanejudy wrote is correct.
We have never used those buses, but I have occasionally seen them. I got the info I posted recently in the other thread from a bus supervisor in April 2018. I don’t remember what he told me exactly about the number of passengers, but I believe it was the same as I posted previously.

When you get to your WDW resort, you’ll notice the phone has a bunch of direct connect buttons. There is one for Transportation- that’s the number I would use. The concierge at your resort should be able to help you also.

With 2 ECVs and 2 foldable wheelchairs, you may not have difficulty getting around on the buses, especially if you are not traveling at peak times. Worst case scenario would be taking separate buses and meeting up later.

Thanks for getting back to me, this put my mind at rest alot. Our party has been freaking out about how to get around. Also, thanks for such an informative thread, it really helps :) although I'm sure you've already been thanked 1000 times it's appreciated

Thanks for getting back to me, this put my mind at rest alot. Our party has been freaking out about how to get around. Also, thanks for such an informative thread, it really helps :) although I'm sure you've already been thanked 1000 times it's appreciated
We have lots of helpful people here. So, feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!