Special Diet request

batt01

Mouseketeer
We are taking my 3.5 year old daughter to WDW in June. I'm so excited!

She has autism and is on a very strict gfcf diet. About the only thing she will eat are bananas and almond milk plus a special gfcf pizza that I make myself.

If I put together the pizza, do you think I could have someone bake it in an oven for me? I can go about three days on one pizza, so I should only need to cook one during my short trip.

I can mix everything I need in my room and even put it on a special pan. I just need it to be baked at 350 for 15 minutes or so.

We are staying at All Star Music.

Thanks!

Off the top of my head I would say the answer is probably no. In any major commercial kitchen they are not allowed, by Health Department rules, to bring in food from an "unknown" source. Also, most commercial kitchens will throw out any foods returned by a diner. Even if, for example, a steak is done rarer than called for, rather than re-cook the one that had left the kitchen they will throw it away and do another.

I just spoke with the chef from CRT and they are very used to doing gf/cf diets. As a matter of fact when I said that my sons have autism she asked if they were on this diet. The chef insisted that he could do whatever we needed.

Call 1-407-824-5967. That's the special dinner number or something and they should be able to give you all the info that you need.

tonia

we leave tomorrow!

My son (age 28 months) has different food issues (diabetes and severe peanut allergy) but I called the number mentioned and they got me in touch with one of the head chefs at the CR (where we plan to stay) and he said he'd make sure we would have something DS could eat for any meal we planned to eat at the hotel at whatever spot - including the Food and Fun Center which is like their food court. He made a note of our trip dates, names and said to contact him a week beforehand. They put the info on their schedule and plan to have food available for him for the meals we specify.

I don't know how the kitchen works at AS but hopefully they can help you out the same way. I was very impressed with their service. I got a call from the chef at CR within hours after making my intitial call to the number mentioned above. He was willing to provide pretty much anything he could that would help. If I don't trust the food at the fast food spots at least I know we should be safe at the hotel eating....without having to do major sit-down meals the whole trip!

Have fun!

i'm going to throw this idea out there -- even though i've always had WONDERFUL experiences with the chefs at WDW. i have multiple food allergies and have spoken with many chefs from home before each trip and they are very helpful.

however, if your daughter needs things to be EXACTLY right (not at all uncommon among kids), i wonder if you could try cooking the pizza you make in a toaster oven? you might be able to pick one up at wal-mart once you arrive and leave it behind or ship it home when you go. also, you'd be able to test out how well it works at home before you leave.

just a thought....

dj

I used to be a Public Health Nurse and I am now in Infection Control, so I'm quite certain that you would not be able to have any of the restaurants cook your pizza for you. Unless Florida is way different than the states I have worked in, they would be cited for doing something like tthat.
I'd suggest doing what the other posters suggested as far as contacting WDW.
If you need to bring the pizza, rather than take it uncooked, could you cook it at home, keep it at a cool temperature during travel/storage and then just re-warm it? The food courts usually have microwaves available and it also might be possible to get a microwave and a refrigerator in your room from the resort. Try calling the WDW Special Needs number to explain your needs: (407) 939-7807
That would be a much easier way to go than trying to find somewhere to cook your uncooked pizza or trying to have a toaster oven in your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter