Space Mountain....underated?

2hapykdz

DIS Veteran
As a kid in the 80's Space Mountain was IT!!!! Now that I'm almost 50 and there is soooooo many more thrilling and immersive rides at WDW......I still think that SM is up there in the top 5 and it just doesn't seem to get any love anymore. Every time I go, I say....."still one of the best ride experiences"!!! Thoughts?

When I was a kid, I absolutely lost my mind riding it. I still really do love it for that nostalgia part of it. But, realistically, it's a kiddie coaster, but since it's in the dark, it's more thrilling because you can't anticipate the movements. I guarantee you that if the lights were on, you'd laugh a little. DOn't get me wrong, I still love it.

Honestly it's probably on the side of being overrated.

It's essentially a kiddie coaster but it's made thrilling because it's in the dark. It's primeval whirl on steroids. But I wouldn't consider it underrated with how long it's lines usually are daily.

With that said, it's a fun ride.

Honestly it's probably on the side of being overrated.

It's essentially a kiddie coaster but it's made thrilling because it's in the dark. It's primeval whirl on steroids. But I wouldn't consider it underrated with how long it's lines usually are daily.

With that said, it's a fun ride.
I agree, because as you said, OP, there are so many more thrilling and immersive rides now.

It’s a must do for us. I love the classic disney rides. Pandora is cool and Star Wars land will be worth checking out, but, to me, Small World, POTC, Haunted Mansion, The Mountains, etc are DisneyWorld.

I like it and we try to ride it once every trip but I have to admit its ones of the rides if the line is to long or we don't have a fast pass I can skip.

I love it, but I don’t think it’s underrated. It’s very popular and usually has a significant wait. It’s a must-do for many people. I can’t wait for my kids to go on it when they’re tall enough (and want to)!

Are we talking SM in Disneyland California or Disneyland Paris? Then yes underrated.

SM at WDW is overrated. Last time I was there I swore it off as it is just not enjoyable. The theming is there but for goodness sake fix the stinking track because "whiplash is fun!".....said no one ever!!

As a kid in the 80's Space Mountain was IT!!!! Now that I'm almost 50 and there is soooooo many more thrilling and immersive rides at WDW......I still think that SM is up there in the top 5 and it just doesn't seem to get any love anymore. Every time I go, I say....."still one of the best ride experiences"!!! Thoughts?
It's a very popular ride even today, so I can't agree that it doesn't get love. The lines to get on it are intimidating if you don't have a FP.

As a kid in the 80's Space Mountain was IT!!!!

It’s still my favorite ride after all these years. Love everything about it. The music, theming, etc. For me it embodies a happier version of the future than the dystopian scenarios that kids today are offered.

I do not like it. Neither does DH or dare devil DD. Too rough.

And in my case, I don’t like coasters in the dark. Love, love, love coasters when I can see but I don’t even care to ride BTMR at night.

Over rated for my family’s tastes.

I dont like the WDW Sm.. it really hurts my legs with all the crazy movements. Im not huge but 200lbs 5'7 with some big thighs. I leave with bruises.

I actually think it's overrated. I love the design and I love it for nostalgia but it's quite a bland ride. It's not much different to a carnival rollercoaster. I still go on it several times when I am on vacation there but I like the idea of it more than what it actually is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter