Space mountain intensity

Jokiho

I like to drink wine
Hi folks,

I have a member of my party that does not like large dips in rollercoasters. So for example, she refuses to go on splash mountain. Now in WDW space mountain has a dip. Not a large one, but there nonetheless. Does space mountain in disneyland have one? I looked at a youtube video and didn't see one. It just seems to go fast in the dark. Perhaps i'm missing something. Can someone help me out?

I think the Matterhorn and BTRM will be ok.

Hi folks,

I have a member of my party that does not like large dips in rollercoasters. So for example, she refuses to go on splash mountain. Now in WDW space mountain has a dip. Not a large one, but there nonetheless. Does space mountain in disneyland have one? I looked at a youtube video and didn't see one. It just seems to go fast in the dark. Perhaps i'm missing something. Can someone help me out?

Matterhorn is similar to space mountain at wdw. It has a few tiny drops.

Our space has one tiny drop about half way through on a straight away part of track.

Matterhorn is similar to space mountain at wdw. It has a few tiny drops.

Our space has one tiny drop about half way through on a straight away part of track.

Ok good, that's what I thought I was seeing in the video. I think it should be fine. The flashing lights at the beginning make it seem much more intense. Probably it's all psychological

Ok good, that's what I thought I was seeing in the video. I think it should be fine. The flashing lights at the beginning make it seem much more intense. Probably it's all psychological
Not sure when your trip is but we are getting hyperspace mountain back at the beginning of May and it will likely be here for the summer. It has projections and flashing lights so you can see the track more as you ride.

My daughter talked me into going on Space Mountain and I was terrified. I truly felt like I was going to be thrown off the ride, no matter how hard I held on. Never again.

I have trouble with drops. It took a long time to be ok with ToT/GotG and Screamin and they're still really scary. I'm still working on being ok with Splash. In terms of drops, Space is mild and never gave me trouble. It's about equivalent to (or possibly milder than) Thunder Mountain. That's in terms of drops - there's still speed and darkness and turns, but personally those don't bother me.

There's one noticable dip to warn her about. It always helps me to know when the drops are coming so I can relax for the rest of the ride instead of constantly anticipating it. If you go during the Hyperspace overlay, you can tell her exactly what to look for before the dip (you're about to have a head on collision with a tie fighter IIRC).

I have trouble with drops. It took a long time to be ok with ToT/GotG and Screamin and they're still really scary. I'm still working on being ok with Splash. In terms of drops, Space is mild and never gave me trouble. It's about equivalent to (or possibly milder than) Thunder Mountain. That's in terms of drops - there's still speed and darkness and turns, but personally those don't bother me.

There's one noticable dip to warn her about. It always helps me to know when the drops are coming so I can relax for the rest of the ride instead of constantly anticipating it. If you go during the Hyperspace overlay, you can tell her exactly what to look for before the dip (you're about to have a head on collision with a tie fighter IIRC).

Unfortunately we will be there next week. I would love to try the hyperspace version. Oh well! I think the dip will be ok. I don't like big drops myself so I'll be avoiding GotG even though I'm a huge comics fan. I can do Splash because the animatronics is worth it over the big dip. i'll just close my eyes for that plunge. My sister refuses though. For space mountain at WDW I remember a small dip, but it was so quick that before the realization of the terror sets in you're pretty much already done with the ride. Sounds like DLR version is the same in that respects.

It is a lot smoother than Matterhorn. There is a tiny drop -- maybe a tiny amount of air time also.
Most of the turns are right turns, knowing this and being prepared may make it less intense.

Hi folks,

It is a lot smoother than Matterhorn. There is a tiny drop -- maybe a tiny amount of air time also.
Most of the turns are right turns, knowing this and being prepared may make it less intense.

This is good to know. Preparing her that the turns are mostly right turns will probably make her feel more at ease. Thank you!

Unfortunately we will be there next week. I would love to try the hyperspace version. Oh well! I think the dip will be ok. I don't like big drops myself so I'll be avoiding GotG even though I'm a huge comics fan. I can do Splash because the animatronics is worth it over the big dip. i'll just close my eyes for that plunge. My sister refuses though. For space mountain at WDW I remember a small dip, but it was so quick that before the realization of the terror sets in you're pretty much already done with the ride. Sounds like DLR version is the same in that respects.
My daughter took years before she’d go on Splash Mtn, and refuses to go on ToT, but WDW Space Mtn was always her fav! Go figure.
Sadly when we were at DL in Sept it was closed, so we never got a chance to try the DL version. She wouldn’t ride Tot at DL, but loved GOTG at DCA! So I’d try it, like Splash, you may find the theming worth it.

Yes, much of it is designed to make you think you're going faster than you are. In addition to what's already been mentioned, fans blow in your face as you go. Virtually all of it is in the dark so it's impossible to see the drops coming. But when they do, they're not really that big. I'd put it on par with Big Thunder. Matterhorn isn't far off either.

Bear in mind: they recently added a single-rider line. That may help you ride it more than once.

The drop is pretty small on Space Mountain.

If you want to avoid the dip on the Matterhorn take the track on the Fantasyland side (by Alice in Wonderland). Here is a link showing the Matterhorn two sides:

The drop is pretty small on Space Mountain.

If you want to avoid the dip on the Matterhorn take the track on the Fantasyland side (by Alice in Wonderland). Here is a link showing the Matterhorn two sides:

Very helpful! Yes definitely planning on it

I was there last week and rode it. I agree that drops are barely noticeable. It's the curves I felt most because you can't see them or brace for them.

I used the single rider line and practically walked on when the standby line was 80 minutes.

Because SM is dark, all the dips and such seem all the more intense.
I wold have them try BTMRR and if that's fine for them, go for SM. But if it's too intense, skip it.

I was there last week and rode it. I agree that drops are barely noticeable. It's the curves I felt most because you can't see them or brace for them.

I used the single rider line and practically walked on when the standby line was 80 minutes.

Love that Single Rider line at SM. I think because it's so well hidden, barely anybody uses it. It was awesome!

I agree that SM isn't that intense, but the darkness can make it feel a little more so. I would rank the coaster intensity as Matterhorn < Big Thunder Mountain < Space Mountain, so I agree with the idea to build up to it.

I honestly don't find Space intense at all - it's fun but I really don't think any ride at DLR is intense compared to other coaster parks with much bigger rides. I overheard one mother tell her child that Space was like BTMRR in the dark and I think that is a pretty good explanation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!