Space Mountain and a Scooter

Was just there and there was someone in an ECV at BTMRR in the holding area right behind me strange and this was at the world
That is very strange, they were quite specific, all ECVs had to be parked at the top by where they take you in the exit and you either had to take a manual chair down or walk down. Now personally given the choice, I would walk down because I can and that will help conserve the battery by not needing to go up the hill to exit, but it wasn't even an option to take the ECV in and this was riding two separate times with the same rules.

Ok, I am going to ask, what is it about the queue here that prevents ECVs from being taken all the way in?

And why does Disney World have so many attractions with this restriction?

The ones I know of are:
  • Big Thunder (I get it would be a tight squeeze, but it could be done)
  • Buzz (The door between the loading and unloading area is apparently too narrow)
  • Haunted Mansion (Although there was a point in time where they were allowed, but went in through the exit, I know because we did it)
  • Pirates (Again there was a point in time where they could be accommodated by going backstage, but it would take longer than the FP queue)
  • Star Tours (As I understand they didn't build the ramps with enough strength to withstand the weight of ECVs)
  • Tower of Terror (This is apparently due to a single pole that makes it impossible for most ECVs to make the turn, so why not remove/move that pole?)
  • Rockin' Roller Coaster (I am not sure why here)
  • Flights of Passage (ECVs can go most of the way, but not completely, so this means it isn't limited to just older rides)
  • Spaceship Earth (Here you can at least get close to the exit ramp and walk up it or use a wheelchair and again it makes sense that it would be hard to fix this without completely changing the unload area)
  • Magic Kingdom Railroad (I really don't know why ECVs aren't allowed to rid it when the Disneyland Railroad allows it)
  • TTA (Speed Ramps definitely are the issue here and a major refurbishment would be required to change this)
  • Space Mountain (Back when it had the speed ramps at the exit, I understood not allowing ECVs, at least until needing one at Sea World and ECVs being allowed on speed ramps there, but now that isn't even an issue)
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle (Really don't understand why no ECVs allowed there)
These are the ones I know of off the top of my head, seems like quite a lot to me, some can be fixed, some can't be, but I am wondering why they don't fix the ones that can be and definitely don't understand Space Mountain or Enchanted Tales with Belle. I also am aware that some of these have alternate entrances for those who can't use a wheelchair in the queues, but that is still not equal as it misses some key preshow elements at some of these attractions.

For Rock n Roller Coaster, I presume the issue is the hallway between the load and unload platforms. I remember it was quite tight there and you also need space there since there is the practice seats for those who have issues getting in and out.

For Space Mountain, if an ECV was allowed in by accident back when there was the speedramp, they would need to fully clear out the speedramp, stop it and then let the ECV on. Since the new exit open, I imagine that last room is the issue with the tight turns.

Pirates was mentioned as one that you can't take a scooter through. Does it have tight turns? I've only used my walker on it with a FP+ so I can't remember the last time I went through the standby line.

Pirates was mentioned as one that you can't take a scooter through. Does it have tight turns? I've only used my walker on it with a FP+ so I can't remember the last time I went through the standby line.
It actually has to do with the fact that the exit is in a completely separate location than the loading area, otherwise an ECV could easily navigate the queue at Pirates.

If push came to shove there is an alternate entrance backstage that they can use, but they try everything to avoid that, which makes sense both from an operational standpoint and a story line standpoint since half of the ride is the queue in Disney World.

It actually has to do with the fact that the exit is in a completely separate location than the loading area, otherwise an ECV could easily navigate the queue at Pirates.

If push came to shove there is an alternate entrance backstage that they can use, but they try everything to avoid that, which makes sense both from an operational standpoint and a story line standpoint since half of the ride is the queue in Disney World.

But other rides have separate loading and unloading areas. Is the Pirate one just more difficult for the CM to move the scooter from one to the other? Can you take the scooter through the FP line or do you have to transfer to a wheelchair first?

But other rides have separate loading and unloading areas. Is the Pirate one just more difficult for the CM to move the scooter from one to the other? Can you take the scooter through the FP line or do you have to transfer to a wheelchair first?
Yes, it is because you unload at a low level and load at a high level, so to get the ECV to the exit, it has to be taken in very small elevator, which only works if someone is riding the ECV, which CMs are not allowed to do.

You have to transfer to a wheelchair before going through the FP line. If you or a member of your party cannot push the wheelchair through the queue, then they may have a CM push you. If one isn't available that can push you, they may say you can't ride. If you push hard enough at that point, they do have an alternate entrance backstage that they hate using and honestly, if you can avoid using it, I would, as half the Pirates ride there is the queue, it is much more a walk through attraction with a boat ride at the end than the Disneyland version is.

But other rides have separate loading and unloading areas.

I believe it is 2 entirely separate buildings for load/unload for Pirates, rather than simply different-but-adjacent locations.

You can ask for CM assistance to push. They may be able to help if a CM is available. I would not expect to be taken backstage.

Enjoy your vacation!

Space is one of the hardest to get into and to have a wheelchair. Older rides werent made when wheelchairs and scooter were popular.

So I have never had issues using my ECV at DisneyWorld in the past several years, praising DisneyWorld for being a place I could still enjoy just like a completely mobile person! Thinking of doing a solo trip...now i have to transfer to a manual wheelchair and i may not be able to ride if a CM can't push me? I can't walk distances or stand for a period of time...no more Disney for me? Distressing.....or am I over reacting? I no longer do Space but some of the other ones.....

So I have never had issues using my ECV at DisneyWorld in the past several years, praising DisneyWorld for being a place I could still enjoy just like a completely mobile person! Thinking of doing a solo trip...now i have to transfer to a manual wheelchair and i may not be able to ride if a CM can't push me? I can't walk distances or stand for a period of time...no more Disney for me? Distressing.....or am I over reacting? I no longer do Space but some of the other ones.....
You can still do Disney only a few rides you have to use a wheelchair for and I think the CM will help you out if you are alone but if they can’t then it is not like every ride is like this their are still most of the ride lines are ECV accessable

This definitely doesn't apply to every attraction, the only attractions I know of where this is an issue are as follows (and I will detail if there are alternatives that I know about):
  • Magic Kingdom
    • Pirates
    • Big Thunder
      • Some have apparently been allowed to take and ECV down, we were not on this last trip, but others have since we got back, not sure if it has to do with size of ECV or some other factors
    • Splash Mountain
      • They will ask you to leave the ECV a bit from the loading dock, but you can take it down if you ask, just if there are already a certain number down it may take a few extra minutes.
    • Rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island
    • Peter Pan (although last I saw they can make it a very short distance that you would need to walk)
    • Enchanted Tales with Belle
      • Sometimes ECVs will be allowed, sometimes they won't.
    • Magic Kingdom Railroad
      • You can take the ECV up to load, but the ECV cannot go on the train, so you have to do a round trip. This one still is odd to me since Disneyland allows ECVs on the train.
    • Winnie the Pooh
      • They can allow you to use the exit here if no CM is available to push, as that is how they have helped us in the past.
    • Space Mountain
    • Haunted Mansion
      • If no one is available to push, they should be able to find accommodations for you, but I don't know what they may or may not be at the current time.
    • Buzz
      • If no one is available to push, there is an alternate entrance around the side, but you miss the entire queue.
    • Main Street Transportation
      • I have not tried at Disney World, but I know at Disneyland if you have an ECV and really want to ride the transportation, they will make an exception and allow you to do a round trip. I don't see why you couldn't politely ask to do this there as well.
  • EPCOT
    • Test Track
      • If no one is available to push you, there is an alternate entrance through the exit. I know this, as this is also the entrance that must be used for service animals.
    • Finding Nemo
      • This one sometimes allows ECVs through the queue and sometimes doesn't. If they don't and no one is available, they have an alternate entrance.
    • Journey Into Imagination with Figment
      • The queue is fully accessible; however, sometimes they put the ECVs further down the hall than others, so if you need it to be close by when you get off, let them know when you board.
  • Hollywood Studios
    • Tower of Terror
      • There is an alternate entrance through the exit, you have to go to the entrance of the ride and let them know you will need it though. You will miss all but the boiler room of the queue.
    • Rockin' Roller Coaster
      • There is an alternate entrance through the exit, again, you must go to the entrance and let them know you need it. You will miss the entire queue.
    • Star Tours
      • I haven't used an ECV to go on this one, so I don't know if there is an alternate entrance or not.
    • Alien Swirling Saucers
      • The ECV could be taken through the queue, but I can stand and walk short distances, so I stood once we were on our numbers to board. There may be the option to take your ECV up to the ride vehicle and have them bring it back, but you would need to ask.
  • Animal Kingdom
    • Flights of Passage
      • The majority of the queue is accessible to ECVs; however, once you reach the preshow room you would need to transfer to a wheelchair. So before getting in line, I would ask what options there are when you reach that point, as I truly don't know.
Those are all of the attractions that I know of with accessibility issues with ECVs, there are some I don't really ride, so it is possible there are a couple of others, but that should give you some idea of what to expect and where there are alternate entrances.

This definitely doesn't apply to every attraction, the only attractions I know of where this is an issue are as follows (and I will detail if there are alternatives that I know about):
  • Magic Kingdom
    • Pirates
    • Big Thunder
      • Some have apparently been allowed to take and ECV down, we were not on this last trip, but others have since we got back, not sure if it has to do with size of ECV or some other factors
    • Splash Mountain
      • They will ask you to leave the ECV a bit from the loading dock, but you can take it down if you ask, just if there are already a certain number down it may take a few extra minutes.
    • Rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island
    • Peter Pan (although last I saw they can make it a very short distance that you would need to walk)
    • Enchanted Tales with Belle
      • Sometimes ECVs will be allowed, sometimes they won't.
    • Magic Kingdom Railroad
      • You can take the ECV up to load, but the ECV cannot go on the train, so you have to do a round trip. This one still is odd to me since Disneyland allows ECVs on the train.
    • Winnie the Pooh
      • They can allow you to use the exit here if no CM is available to push, as that is how they have helped us in the past.
    • Space Mountain
    • Haunted Mansion
      • If no one is available to push, they should be able to find accommodations for you, but I don't know what they may or may not be at the current time.
    • Buzz
      • If no one is available to push, there is an alternate entrance around the side, but you miss the entire queue.
    • Main Street Transportation
      • I have not tried at Disney World, but I know at Disneyland if you have an ECV and really want to ride the transportation, they will make an exception and allow you to do a round trip. I don't see why you couldn't politely ask to do this there as well.
  • EPCOT
    • Test Track
      • If no one is available to push you, there is an alternate entrance through the exit. I know this, as this is also the entrance that must be used for service animals.
    • Finding Nemo
      • This one sometimes allows ECVs through the queue and sometimes doesn't. If they don't and no one is available, they have an alternate entrance.
    • Journey Into Imagination with Figment
      • The queue is fully accessible; however, sometimes they put the ECVs further down the hall than others, so if you need it to be close by when you get off, let them know when you board.
  • Hollywood Studios
    • Tower of Terror
      • There is an alternate entrance through the exit, you have to go to the entrance of the ride and let them know you will need it though. You will miss all but the boiler room of the queue.
    • Rockin' Roller Coaster
      • There is an alternate entrance through the exit, again, you must go to the entrance and let them know you need it. You will miss the entire queue.
    • Star Tours
      • I haven't used an ECV to go on this one, so I don't know if there is an alternate entrance or not.
    • Alien Swirling Saucers
      • The ECV could be taken through the queue, but I can stand and walk short distances, so I stood once we were on our numbers to board. There may be the option to take your ECV up to the ride vehicle and have them bring it back, but you would need to ask.
  • Animal Kingdom
    • Flights of Passage
      • The majority of the queue is accessible to ECVs; however, once you reach the preshow room you would need to transfer to a wheelchair. So before getting in line, I would ask what options there are when you reach that point, as I truly don't know.
Those are all of the attractions that I know of with accessibility issues with ECVs, there are some I don't really ride, so it is possible there are a couple of others, but that should give you some idea of what to expect and where there are alternate entrances.
As of a few months ago A2S you can take your ECV in when you get to the load area you will wait by a different entrance and you then can take your ECV close to the ride vehicle and once you are in the CM will park it now at the end of the ride your ECV might be pretty fair away

Hopefully they will change rules for ecv
Why? The reasons for the rules for the attractions where you can't bring ECV are simply due to physical barriers.

One could make the argument that FOP was poorly designed since they didn't think about this, but really a lot has to do with widths and in some cases ramps that won't support the weight of an ECV.

I am not saying I like the issues and I think many of the locations could be fixed, but I understand why there are issues.

I was just watching a YouTube video form someone that went just a little while ago and their was an ECV in the test track line.

I will never be able to ride Pirates again. Not because I can no longer walk unassisted - but because I can't get back out of the darn boat without a Hoyer lift. I can walk with a walker, I can stand, but I cannot step up.

I will never be able to ride Pirates again. Not because I can no longer walk unassisted - but because I can't get back out of the darn boat without a Hoyer lift. I can walk with a walker, I can stand, but I cannot step up.
Never say never, I can think of methods that with minor modifications to a few of the boats and the ride system that they could develop the boat so the side opens on one of the rows. It would need to use seals similar to what walk in bathtubs use. There would probably be a small lip (no larger than a door jamb would have) to step over and the reason the ride system would need to be modified would be to bring the boat higher so it is level with the dock.

I don't know that Disney will ever do this, just saying I could see it being physically possible to do with minimal expense, so never say never, as it is always possible they could do it.

Never say never, I can think of methods that with minor modifications to a few of the boats and the ride system that they could develop the boat so the side opens on one of the rows. It would need to use seals similar to what walk in bathtubs use. There would probably be a small lip (no larger than a door jamb would have) to step over and the reason the ride system would need to be modified would be to bring the boat higher so it is level with the dock.

I don't know that Disney will ever do this, just saying I could see it being physically possible to do with minimal expense, so never say never, as it is always possible they could do it.
Of course they could make it happen - but I just doubt that they will.

Oh I fully agree with you.

But, like @arminnie says, they probably won't :(

I have always wondered why they couldn't just install those seat lifts that they already use at the pools at every Resort. That would allow folks of all abilities who either can get in, but can't get out/can get out, but can't get in/can't get in or out to sit on the lift and be lowered into the boat, just as if they were getting into the pool. Install one of those at every boat ride, please. Then there would be no need for specially modified boats to accept mobility devices; you transfer to the pool lift, and away you go.

But, they probably won't :(

Oh I fully agree with you.

But, like @arminnie says, they probably won't :(

I have always wondered why they couldn't just install those seat lifts that they already use at the pools at every Resort. That would allow folks of all abilities who either can get in, but can't get out/can get out, but can't get in/can't get in or out to sit on the lift and be lowered into the boat, just as if they were getting into the pool. Install one of those at every boat ride, please. Then there would be no need for specially modified boats to accept mobility devices; you transfer to the pool lift, and away you go.

But, they probably won't :(
There are actually some restrictions as to where those can be installed and used. I wonder if they would work with boats or not. Additionally, it may be that they would take too long to use. A side that opens would reduce the time it takes, but would most likely be more expensive than the lift. Although, Disney would want to theme the chairs, so they may cost more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!