Space A Travel (MAC Flights)

briarwolf

Straight on till dawn
I am considering using Space A to travel from Fort Dix New Jersey to Germany. Any one have any success stories or Horror stories? Is it worth the risk of spending a couple days on stand by? I am married with one daughter and my wife works in the civilian sector, so spending too many days waiting for flights could ruin the trip. I appreciate any constructive input.

We've only flown space A for one trip--it was back in 1998 and we took space A from Okinawa to Tokyo. We were fortunate and didn't have a problem getting the flights we wanted--but at that time there were several flights taking that route each day, and there were only two of us.

The flight from Okinawa to Tokyo was on a C9 modified for medical passengers--basically a regular airplane but TONS of extra leg room! It was awesome!

The flight from Tokyo to Okinawa... well first I should mention that though we did get on, there were several people who arrived after us that did not get on. We also met a woman (dependent spouse) and her 3 children in the terminal who told us she and her kids had been trying to catch a flight back to Misawa (I think?) for a couple days, and hadn't been able to get space!
When we got on the plane, it was a C-130. We sat in what was essentially net "hammock" things...it was loud, they handed out earplugs before the flight. The flight took about twice as long as the Okinawa to Tokyo because of the type of plane. And, there was no bathroom. They explained to us they had a bucket behind a curtain for us to use. The AF personnel explaining it asked the gentlemen to please try to refrain from using it if at all possible and to save it for the ladies...but that didn't happen. I don't know too much about "the bucket behind the curtain" because I didn't even try to use it--I can't even bring myself to use a porta potty so even though I had to go badly, I just held it!

If you don't have a ton of time to wait for flights, I would only chance it if you are ok with paying for a regular, commercial flight at the last minute so that you/wife/daughter can get back if needed.

Check the regulations carefully Air Mobility Command (AMC replaced MAC several years ago) has some pretty tight restrictions in place regarding who can us Space A due to the number of deployed personnel and the fact that dependant family members of personnel stationed OCONUS have preference. The biggest risk you take is that you would get flights over but not be able to get home since your wife has a civilain job she will need to get back to.

I am considering using Space A to travel from Fort Dix New Jersey to Germany. Any one have any success stories or Horror stories? Is it worth the risk of spending a couple days on stand by? I am married with one daughter and my wife works in the civilian sector, so spending too many days waiting for flights could ruin the trip. I appreciate any constructive input.

First, a couple of things...

Even though your Army superiors probably said differently, Space-A is no longer referred to as "MAC" (an acronym for the old Military Airlift Command, which went-away in 1992). The organization has been known as "Air Mobility Command", or for short, "AMC", for the past 19 years.

And, if you like forums like this one, two of the best places on the internet for basic travel information/tips is www.pepperd.com or www.spacea.info

Also, if you are on Facebook, take a minute and "Like" the Ramstein Passenger Terminal. They are posting some really good information there, too.

One thing you will not find on the internet is specific flight schedules, as those are not advertised in public forums due to force protection issues.

Have fun!

From our own experience we had no problems getting from Germany to Dix, but couldnt get back out and instead left from Dover. There were alot more flights to Europe outbound from Dover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!