Soy milk question

momx2

DIS Veteran
My will be 14 month old is allergic to regular milk. She is on Soy milk, not formula, but milk. It only comes in those carboard container where we live. First, is there anywhere near WDW I can get it. (Not the drink, but soy milk.) Second, I can't leave in my cooler because it is cardboard, any suggestions. We're staying on site at ASMo and was there last Sept and the only fridge is $10.60 per day, ouch!! Any ideas that doesn't cost me that a day. Of course, if I have to I'll pay it, but would rather not.

I would call ASMo to see if they carry it in their gift shop. You could put your ice in baggies if you are afraid that when it melts it will make the cardboard soggy, but it should be ok.

I did not see it at the ASMo this past January. If you could get it off site you could pack a plastic container in your luggage and transfer the milk into it to store in the cooler. We kept a cooler at ASMo and added ice to it each day from the ice machine. So easy and so much cheaper that the fridge rental. Do they have the single serve no refrigerate boxes of this like they do regular milk? I remember seeing this asked before but don't remember. That would be ideal and still a better deal than the fridge.

Jordan's mom

You could also put the soy milk container in a sealed plastic bag, too. That way if your ice bags leak, the cardboard won't get wet.
You might also want to look into the small thermo-electric coolers. They look like a regular cooler, but they plug into your car cigarette lighter outlet or a regular household type outlet. I saw them in a Sunday paper ad a week ago. I think it was Walmart and it was about $30 -$40.

We didn't find any at WDW - had to get it offsite at the grocery story. We used Tiffany Town Car from the airport to WDW so we took advantage of the 1/2 hour grocery stop.

My dd also drinks soy milk I got the juice box size single serve (Edensoy Extra) and stored it warm. Each day I would put one box in a baggie at night and chill it in the ice bucket. I also carry one single size box with me (warm) and ask for a cup of ice when we go to lunch. Then I just pour the soymilk over ice and serve it to dd - it chills down fast enough for her.

Good Luck and enjoy.
TJ

Target sells the electric ones also. We have a large one like in the add and a smaller one from target that fits between the seats of a mini van and has 2 built in cupholders. I think it runs for around 50 and one a little smaller around 30.

You may want to check with Guest Services. Because there is an allergy involved they may be able to help with reduced cost refrigeration, or the hotel may have a provision to keep it for you. I know they do this for medications that require refrigerations. I'm just not sure about replacement products for allergies...

Seems that too many people were claiming medical reasons so they won't do that any more. If you do have medicine that needs refridgeration they will offer to store it for you but won't discount your mini fridge.

To the OP - I just noticed that your child is 14 mos - at this age you could try the soy follow up formula - comes in ready to pour cans and powder. I know its more expensive and not something you may choose for day to day use but it may be just what you need on a trip. I used this up to about 20 months off and on with my dd. The powder can be mixed with cold water and the ready to serve pouredin a sippy with ice. The ready to serve cans could be chilled in the ice bucket or a cooler without becoming soggy like the soymilk carton.

TJ

You know, we put a cardboard Lactaid Milk carton right down in the ice in our cooler and it held up for as long as it took the kids to drink the milk (a couple of days at least.) I think I will put it in a plastic bag on this trip, but I don't think you need to be overly concerned about putting it in a plastic bag in your cooler. We buy our stuff before leaving home, so can't help with where to buy.

Thanks for all the responses! We just got our first minivan and I was thinking about buying one of those small electric coolers for between the seats. I think this would be the perfect time to do so. Also, I did find some single serve soy milk. It says soy milk beverage though, but has calcium, vit. D, etc. probably fine for just taking out warm with us in the parks. My pediatrian doesn't like follow up formulas for some reason, but would probably be fine for short term. Thanks again.

momx2 .. I really like the cooler we keep in the van. It come in very handy with kids. We often keep drinks in it or put left overs from resturants in it. It will even hold a gallon of milk if you put it in just right. It will drain the battery if the car is not running. I think they say to not keep it plugged in for more thna 1.5 hrs. when the car is not running. You can buy a pwer converter for it but I just use the one that came with our bigger cooler. Once , because we forgot the pwer converter, we took it into a hotel with us and filled a gallon ziploock with ice and it kept everything cold all night.
You might want to check a health food store. I think a friend use to get powdered soy milk at one.

Originally posted by momx2
Thanks for all the responses! We just got our first minivan and I was thinking about buying one of those small electric coolers for between the seats. I think this would be the perfect time to do so. Also, I did find some single serve soy milk. It says soy milk beverage though, but has calcium, vit. D, etc. probably fine for just taking out warm with us in the parks. My pediatrian doesn't like follow up formulas for some reason, but would probably be fine for short term. Thanks again.

Hi Mom2x - Just wanted to say I find that so interesting - so many pediatricians have so many different opions. It was our pediatrician who recommended staying on the follow up soy rather than the soy milk or drinks. She felt there was to much sodium in the over the counter soy milk/drinks. I actually made the switch myself at about 20mos since it was breaking my budget to buy formula !! My dd is now 5 and I do notice more variety and brands of soy than when she first started drinking it.

I bet in a real pinch you could even use the regular soy formula from the baby stations or the stores in WDW if you had to. I used to mix the formula with just a pinch of chocolate or strawberry powder because she didn't like the taste as she got older. Have a great trip!
TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter