• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest splendours for a family of 6

whiteside61

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm spending January trying to plan our family's summer vacation, and instead of our usual trip to the beach, I am thinking about a trip to the grand Canyon! (never been) I love the itinerary of the SW splendours tour, but for a family of 6 (our children are 18, 16, 11,and 11) it seems so expensive....almost 13K before airfare. Do you think it is worth the cost for a large family? Could we do the trip much cheaper on our own? Any advice?
Thanks!

We are a family of 6. My kids are ages 19,11,9, and 6. We took the Southwest Splendors trip in August. I was very concerned about the cost as well. Any trip with a large family is expensive, but this was going to be the most expensive trip we had ever taken. It was the best decision I ever made. It was truly the trip of a lifetime. I have a friend with a family the same size as mine, who also went to the Grand Canyon this past summer. She had a "nice" trip and her family "enjoyed" it. We had an AMAZING trip that surpassed all our expectations. If you can afford the cost, go. You will not regret your decision. Everything was top notch and the memories will last a lifetime. In the end, with extra excursions that we did, and the airfare, the cost was around $18000. My husband was skeptical before we went, both with the cost and the group tour aspect, but he had me book Quest for the West for this July before we even got back home. Can't encourage enough to bite the bullet and take this trip. I feel sure you won't regret it!

Thankyou for your reply! That is just what I needed to hear. You are right that any vacation with a large family is expensive and we are used to paying for it, but this may one of the priciest trips we've taken. With the disney attention to detail I'm sure it will be incredible. We too will be planning an august trip. I'm worried about the heat...did you just get used to it after a while?

The heat was not bad at all. Temps were high, but no humidity, which made such a difference. It was much more tolerable than the Louisiana heat where we live. As long as you were in the shade, you were actually comfortable. Disney gives you cooldanas to wear and a hat with a wide brim is a must. Any other questions, just ask! You might also check out sayhello's trip report. She went a few months before me, and her report was invaluable in my planning. The link is in her signature line--just search for any of her posts.

You might also check out sayhello's trip report. She went a few months before me, and her report was invaluable in my planning. The link is in her signature line--just search for any of her posts.
Aw, shucks! :goodvibes Guess I need to post just so whiteside61 can have easy access to my report! ;)

I traveled alone, so I can't comment on the cost for a large family, but as far as the cost being worth it -- ABSOLUTELY! It was one of *the* best vacations I've ever taken, and so much more relaxing, knowing Disney/ABD was taking care of all of the details for me. Shlepping my luggage from place to place, shlepping *ME* from place to place, arranging wonderfully fun, in depth activities, and being there for us all the way. Honestly, I don't think you could do the trip cheaper on your own (except maybe for the Hotel choices), but then you would have a cheaper, but not nearly as good & comprehensive vacation. I'm biased, but I say: Go for it!

See link in my Signature for my Trip Report! Then see what you think!

Sayhello

When are you thinking of going? We are booked on the Aug. 14 Southwest Splendors trip - me, DH, DD11, and DD9.

Our experience so far with ABD has been outstanding. We did the Viva Italia trip last August and simply can't say enough good things about yet. Yes, it is pricey, but they add so many extra magical treats, and take care of every detail for you. We had an amazing time, and met lots of great people - in fact, we got together this past weekend with a family from the trip, who made us a pizza party just like the one we enjoyed in Rome (ok, almost just like it).

Let us know what trip you decide on.

Thank you all for your replies. Sayhello, your trip report sounds amazing and I know my family would love it! now I just have to figure out if we can afford to go with one in college and several in private school.....It does sound like the trip of a lifetime and a perfect family vacation.:goodvibes
If we go, we will probably shoot for the first part of august before schools start back, but I will post when and if we do!!
One more question...it appears from the itinerary that the Thunderbird lodge has been substituted for the Grand hotel. Do you think this is a good switch? I think for the view it probably is.....

I'm so excited! I just booked our trip for the six of us leaving on July 25!
:cool1: The kids don't know yet, but i think they'll super excited when we tell them. Our oldest daughter was hoping for an island trip somewhere, so this is a big departure, but something I have always wanted to do!!
Yippee!!

I'm so excited! I just booked our trip for the six of us leaving on July 25!
:cool1: The kids don't know yet, but i think they'll super excited when we tell them. Our oldest daughter was hoping for an island trip somewhere, so this is a big departure, but something I have always wanted to do!!
Yippee!!
Congrats! You will *love* it! But then, I'm biased! :thumbsup2

To answer your other question, from what I know, the Thunderbird is a bit more "rustic" than the Grand Hotel, which was nice, but not super fancy to begin with. HOWEVER, The Thunderbird is on the RIM of the Grand Canyon, which means you can wake up to sunrise over the canyon, and don't have to worry about getting ferried back and forth to/from the hotel on the Canyon day (the Grand Hotel is 2 miles outside the park). They do say "Location, location, location!" and the Thunderbird definitely will have that. Just don't expect a lot of amenities...

I'm really interested to see what people have to say about the Thunderbird as they start returning from this trip this year.

Sayhello

I just have to chime in too! Hi "Sayhello" and "Jenbadeaux"!
We took the Southwest Splendors trip last August with our family, including DD11 and DD8, and it was hands down one of the best trips we ever did. Sayhello's trip report was terrific for planning and knowing what to expect.
As for the heat--I was also very concerned, but Disney does an outstanding job of providing bottled water and sunscreen--and making sure everyone is doing ok. Our kids had a terrific time with all the kids on the trip--we also just got together with 2 other families that travelled with us a few weeks ago for dinner and to talk about what a terrific time we had.

In short--you could definitely do the trip on your own for less money--but it wouldn't be the same. Disney really does create "magic"!

Glad to hear that you decided to go--and hope you tell us all about it when you get back!

Turtlemom :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter