Southwest flights sold out after only 1 day schedule open??

Luvmypetz

Mouseketeer
Could it be the Boeing plane issue and they’re uncertain what’s available? Anyone else have no flights available?

I don't use SW; but if you're looking for the dates that were supposed to be released yesterday, the release was delayed until 3/18.

Their site says "We are currently accepting air reservations through November 2, 2019. On May 23, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through January 5, 2020." What dates are you trying to book for?

The flight I was on was a boeng max8 and it suddenly showed up as sold out. It seems that when you see all 3 classes sold out unless its a flight in the next few days then most likely it was a max8 cancellation. If you click the flight number on desktop it will tell you they type of aircraft so you can confirm if it is a max8

I booked today for Oct 31st flights. I agree with @Elizakapeka that the ones with sold out for all 3 classes are due to the max8. There were also some flights with just the Wanna Get Away fare sold out for my date which I'm assuming are truly sold out. For me prices were high. Got a one way to MCO from STL on 10/31 for $247. Earlier this week I purchased a one way to MCO for 8/9 and it was only $117. Hopefully prices will go down and I can get a credit. Keep checking, things will open up.

Their site says "We are currently accepting air reservations through November 2, 2019. On May 23, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through January 5, 2020." What dates are you trying to book for?
Sat 10/19 thru Sun 10/27 BWI to San Diego. Good to know it’s the Max issue and hopefully something becomes available

Thanks for posting! I looked yesterday and there was nothing and then I look this morning after I read this post and they are soooo expensive! I didn't realize October was everyone's fall break. That's not a thing in the midwest....

A lot of the sold out are not even Max8 planes but reflect current shifts. They aren't just cancelling all the Max flights. Sometimes they are shifting equipment from another route and cancelling that one.

We have a long california weekend planned and the schedule opened today for the return trip. It's ridiculous pricing. I'm hoping it will come down once the MAX issue is worked out. They already cancelled one of my flights but were super nice about rescheduling it to a different day for me since that day no longer worked with the reschedule.

I don't use SW; but if you're looking for the dates that were supposed to be released yesterday, the release was delayed until 3/18.

That's what I thought too, as I was scouring online yesterday to book only to find out they postponed until Monday-- decided to just check out their website today & they opened up the next batch of flights! I was taken aback... glad I randomly checked so I was able to get the flights we need for our October Disney trip but I would have booked them first thing this morning to try to avoid any sell outs/rate increases.

I hope the aircraft situation gets worked out before the summer season starts. The Max 8 planes are so much more comfortable than the 737.

Thanks so much for posting about this, I never would have thought of it as a way to check if my upcoming flight is cancelled. I looked up my flights to MCO In early April, and it looks like they have cancelled them. Don’t know what to do now, ugh! Not sure why SW hasn’t told me it’s cancelled...maybe they’re waiting to see if things change in the next few weeks?

Yeah that is what they said because I had my alarm set for the 14th and saw that they pushed it back. But guess what? They are open. Seriously annoying.

I was checking for a friend earlier today. she is booked for a cruise out of San Juan in April. Right after the Max 8 news broke I looked and saw the 2nd leg was on a Max 8. Today, after she asked me to look again as she was concerned it would be cancelled, all 3 price options read sold out, but the aircraft has changed to 737-800. I'm hoping it just reads sold out while they confirm availability of the 737-800. I wonder what the likelihood of the flight being cancelled all together is and at what point SW will notify her so she can make changes. She is flying in the day of (against my advice) and any delay would be a real problem.

I was checking for a friend earlier today. she is booked for a cruise out of San Juan in April. Right after the Max 8 news broke I looked and saw the 2nd leg was on a Max 8. Today, after she asked me to look again as she was concerned it would be cancelled, all 3 price options read sold out, but the aircraft has changed to 737-800. I'm hoping it just reads sold out while they confirm availability of the 737-800. I wonder what the likelihood of the flight being cancelled all together is and at what point SW will notify her so she can make changes. She is flying in the day of (against my advice) and any delay would be a real problem.

I had three upcoming flights booked on the max8. When the planes were grounded, they all switched to showing sold out for all three options. I guess they changed the aircraft those flights are assigned sometime between yesterday and today, because now all three flights are still showing sold out, but with different 737 planes on them. If I were your friend, I would switch my flights.

Last month I booked flights for June to go to a family gathering. I had checked before the grounding to see what type of plane we were going to be on, one leg was on the Max. I'm a nervous flier, so this really worried me and I was considering changing our flights. My dh told me that we had been on the Max last Jan, so glad I didn't know that then! I just checked again and it shows that we are now on a different 737, hope that stays the same. I realize a lot could happen between now and June. I feel bad for anyone who is affected by cancelled flights in the next few days/weeks. There's a letter from the CEO on the Southwest website, if anyone is interested.

I've been tracking Delta flights for our fall trip to NYC and have not yet bought them because there's a small chance our school calendar might change. (Grrr.) Anyway just looked at fares and they are way up for Delta too! Looks like all the airlines are taking advantage of the decreased aircraft supply as an excuse to raise prices!

My husband flies for Southwest, and my understanding of it is they are currently reshuffling their schedule a bit, so the website might look a bit funky. However, the Max 8 only makes up about 5% of their total fleet, so it shouldn't have huge, lasting impacts if it stays out of the air for a while. Hang in there folks!

Thank you so much for this post. Our family was waiting for SW to post their October dates. PPs are correct. There are many ??? about the flights and the costs are very high. However, after juggling many logistics, we booked our flights to California and will be enjoying Halloween on the West Coast this year. So fun to think about! Again, many thanks! You may have saved our trip! (or at least our wallet!)

Was very frustrated as well with timing of this release. We 100% have to fly for our October cruise so I was trying to be on top of the release to get the best price. Prices for the way down were reasonable so I booked on SW. The sunday return flight to Indy? 297 one way or wait til 8pm for 200 one way. This is insane. Booked allegiant for flight home. First time every not flying SW due to price (all other non-SW flights due to location or time). Have never flown allegiant, could be a disaster, but if it is good and we like it SW really screwed the pooch by forcing this loyal customer to check out a competitor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!