• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest fares are open thru 8/3

I've been holding my breath waiting for these flights to open, but the cheapest fare I can get out of Hartford is $112 each way. I'm holding out for a better fare. Last year I got $93 roundtrip nonstop. I want a bargain fare!

Us too - the best we found was $189 out of Providence. We are gonna ride it out for a while and see if they go on sale.

Yep no bargains there and I have been waiting for the end of June/beginning of July. Hopefully, the fares will go down.

barbnbrian,
That is a great airfare and I would book it now and hope that it goes down.
Last year I got 75.00 rt and this year 101.50 rt. But, that was before the security charge.

I agree with Gail, If you find an airfare you can live with on Southwest, BOOK IT. They are really good about providing travel credit if the price goes down, hopefully you fly enough to use it on another trip. (we do). We purchased fully refundables a few months ago for a one way we needed. $77 each. I've been sleepwalking to the computer every Monday evening at midnight (PST) and this week I was finally able to snag the $34 seats. I thought about trying this on our C to C portion, but I'm glad we got what we did on the first day because those flights are now full and the price never came down. orlando is such a popular destination that it's tricky to get those low fares. :)

Gail, what's a PITA?:D

Jenn, we also fly out of PVD. That is a good fare. Don't forget the service charge added due to security measures. That makes the ticket under 180.00. We are going in march and I booked the tickets as soon as they were available. I paid 207.00. I checked back everyday and rebooked my seats for 142.00 a few weeks ago. Now they are up to 263.00. The refund has already shown up on my credit card and we have not even gone yet. If the tickets go down you get a refund, if they go up or become unavailable for your dates you are out of luck. Book them.;)

Just to clarify in case someone is wondering, it seems SW is now giving you refunds on your credit card, not issuing credits for travel. I don't know if this has something to do with 9/11 because I know they always have issued travel credits. I was pleasantly surprised when I was told there would be a credit on the charge card. I even called back and asked two other people if this was true and they said yes. So now there is really no reason to wait for a sale because you will get your money back and have the dates you want. i guess they could change this policy at any time, but that is how they are doing it now.

pbhunt

Explain why you went to the computer every Monday evening at midnight for the fares?

The refund to cc is only on certain "refundable" fares. Otherwise, you will get a credit for travel within one year, from original booking date.

Pluto4President, I booked my first fare of $207.00 under a promotional fare. When it went down again to $142.00 I rebooked and was credited on my credit card. When I booked the 207 it was the cheapest fare available so I do not think it was refundable but I may be wrong.

Me again, I just checked the SW website and the original flight I booked was listed as nonrefundable. It also said a credit towards future travel would be issued. I do not know if they have changed their policy, but I changed four tickets, my sister changed two and my dad changed one. They were all nonrefundable and we all got credits on our credit cards for the difference in price of the flights. This is a much better way to go than the travel credits so I hope this is something they will continue to do.

coachv, SWA releases their sale fares (Click'nSave Specials) at midnight (PST) on Monday evening/Tuesday morning every week. At least on this last schedule release, the cheap seats (we want) have been gone by Tuesday morning. :)

I should add, that I found out this past Monday night, that you can't actually purchase the new, lower fares at Midnight. (They reboot the computers???? says SWA rep.) I went back to bed and got back up @1:45 to make the purchase. I know, all that for $80, but this is our first 10 day vacation, WDW/Cruise and I'm trying to save money wherever I can.

PS. Thank you Gail, I have not read that one. As an enforcement officer, I think that many of the folks I encounter probably use that phrase about me, too! LOL it doesn't really go away, when I'm on vacation. I was going through many possible strange acronyms, in my mind., Thanks:) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter