Southwest - Do I need to pay for early check in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly, I never said anything about switching with people who paid for EBCI. I'm sure most of the people on the flight won't have paid for it.

How will you know who did and who didn't pay? Do you plan on asking? Seems a bit rude, and I wouldn't answer that question.

No, you're right -- but I don't really care where we sit. Basically, I don't care if we have the least desirable seats on the whole plane (all the way in the back or wherever the least desirable seats may be) as long as it's two together (would actually prefer window and middle, not aisle). Also, part of my reasoning was is that we have many flights from my city to MCO every day (even several direct flights), so I don't really think the flight down would be at capacity where I'd have this problem to get just two seats together if checking in right on the 24 hour mark, but you never know.

Just thinking it through since I see so many other people comment on these types of threads that they don't find it worth it and never have trouble with finding two seats together if they check in right at 24 hours. I hate to throw away money if not necessary, but if most people said I shouldn't take the chance, I have no problem spending the extra money. So, that's what I'm looking for -- feedback based on experience.

Unfortunately what has happened on past flights does not mean the same thing will happen on yours. I'll say the same thing to you as I did to the OP--which would make you more upset, paying for EBCI and finding it was unnecessary, or having to split up on the aircraft, and someone maybe having to sit alone? If you would rather save the money (which is understandable, no one likes to throw money away) then don't pay. But accept that your family may split up, and that it is kind of rude to ask other people to move if your family does end up split up. Sorry, but I find it pretty nervy to not pay and then have the intention of asking others to move for you if you end up without seats next to each other.

Either accept the risk and the consequences that may go along with it, or don't.

Do you think I should get EBCI just for the two of us for the flight down or do you think someone would easily switch with us (if we didn't get seats together) given the circumstances,
I just have a few questions/comments:

1) Don't go in thinking people will be willing to switch..TBH it's not the type of thinking that will give you a more positive outlook on the situation (for example if people don't want to move now you're going to be upset and may even gripe later that people didn't move perhaps thinking they are selfish for not doing so)

2) Given what circumstances?? Do you feel comfortable asking each and every passenger their backstories on why they chose to sit where they chose or if they have any personal, medical, etc reasons for why they chose to sit where they did? If you don't, then don't go in thinking your situation warrants something by thinking 'given the circumstances'. I do not know about pre-board however in your specific situation but those are gate agent decisions.

3) You mentioned you don't care where you sit on the plane as in the location of the seats but you do care about sitting next to each other. Your preference is perfect for airlines that have assigned seats where you can control if you buy tickets for a specific flight because you can see how many seats are open next to each other. Your preference is however not ideal for an airline like SWA where no assigned seats exist and it's a completely different seating situation for each and every flight you are on.

What generally happens is that the mom and child are standing at the front of the plane next to a flight attendant as the request is made that someone (or two someones) give up their seats for the mom and child. Most of the people up front are pre-boarders, Business Select passengers, A-Listers or EBCI passengers who, in my experience, don't even look up because they don't want to be "guilted" into giving up the seats they wanted or needed or paid for. The whole situation is awkward. I wouldn't want to be the person nervously standing up there at the head of the aisle if I could prevent it.

Nobody wants to pay for something and then discover later that they didn't need to spend that money. EBCI is essentially insurance for people in your situation.
Heck it isn't even just for people who paid for EBCI.

It's the people who found the seat they wanted (where ever that seat was located at in the plane) and then suddenly someone shows up and says "hey can you switch because I want to sit with my kid/traveling party" (paraphrasing what would actually be said but you get my point).

To me paying or not paying for something in the exact case of SWA doesn't matter since they have open seating.

Paying for Delta Comfort+ seats and then being asked to switch would however have me wanting the difference in fare given back to me if I was then moved back.

The reason for this is because it will be both kids first time flying, and my younger child has a peanut allergy and want to be able to clean his area with wet wipes and control who he sits next to. From what I can tell, SW doesn't allow pre-boarding for peanut allergies (or at least not consistently).

Is this true? On other airlines they use preboarding for those who need a little more time. I would think someone with allergies that need to wipe down his area would fall into this category.

If I were you, and were hell bent on saving the fees I'd buy two, and ask for pre-boarding for the other two. If you are denied pre-boarding you and the 11 year old will use the ECBI tickets. If you get to preboard the 15 year old and DH use the ECBI tickets. Though in my experience, a 15 year old really isn't all that upset about not sitting next to a parent. Many prefer not to sit next to their parent.

Is this true? On other airlines they use preboarding for those who need a little more time. I would think someone with allergies that need to wipe down his area would fall into this category.

If I were you, and were hell bent on saving the fees I'd buy two, and ask for pre-boarding for the other two. If you are denied pre-boarding you and the 11 year old will use the ECBI tickets. If you get to preboard the 15 year old and DH use the ECBI tickets. Though in my experience, a 15 year old really isn't all that upset about not sitting next to a parent. Many prefer not to sit next to their parent.
EBCI is attached to specific tickets. You can't just trade at the gate.

Just buy the dang EBCI if it's important. Consider it part of the full cost of the ticket and move on.

EBCI is attached to specific tickets. You can't just trade at the gate.

Just buy the dang EBCI if it's important. Consider it part of the full cost of the ticket and move on.

Eh, they never look at the boarding passes, so this would in theory work.

But I agree. Just buy it.

Eh, they never look at the boarding passes, so this would in theory work.

But I agree. Just buy it.
I would say they rarely look at boarding passes. But I have been on flights where you were required to show your ID at the gate. Again it's rare but it has happened.

I would say they rarely look at boarding passes. But I have been on flights where you were required to show your ID at the gate. Again it's rare but it has happened.

After seeing a rash of line abusers boarding in the As with C boarding passes and the gate agent not even looking at the pass, I'm a little jaded.

After seeing a rash of line abusers boarding in the As with C boarding passes and the gate agent not even looking at the pass, I'm a little jaded.

Interesting. I've always seen them send the people back to their correct group. Plus, most people in line around me are pretty savvy to people in the wrong group/order edging in line.

I can understand that. I'm just passing along my experience; I don't think they look indepthly at the boarding pass 100% of the time but in the rare instance that they request an ID you could be taking a risk if you swap tickets.

I'm sure there have been people in the incorrect boarding position as well as boarding group but I have also seen at times what @pigletliz described as well. I know that generally speaking on each flight there is probably one of those kinds of people for sure. But as far as abusers the most I have witnessed by far is Delta pre-boarders.

Interesting. I've always seen them send the people back to their correct group. Plus, most people in line around me are pretty savvy to people in the wrong group/order edging in line.

These people all boarded in the correct number position, just in the wrong group. They kept their boarding passes crumpled up until they got to the gate agent, who never looked at the pass while scanning it.

Whether it's just the 2 of us, or we are flying with our grandkids, we ALWAYS buy EBCI. It's just part of the price, like paying for luggage. Not buying it would be stressful, and not something I want to think about on vacation.
Yep, this exactly. Before they started EBCI everybody just sat at their computer at the 24 hour mark to check-in asap. Nowadays I'm never not on a full flight (CHI-ORL) going either way. So I always get EBCI. I don't even have small kids anymore, but I still want to sit with my family. OP could just have one adult and one child board early, sit on the same side of the aisle and place a bag on aisle seat across from them. Then when they all reunite Dad sits where the bag is and Mom and the kids are right across from them.

Yep, this exactly. Before they started EBCI everybody just sat at their computer at the 24 hour mark to check-in asap. Nowadays I'm never not on a full flight (CHI-ORL) going either way. So I always get EBCI. I don't even have small kids anymore, but I still want to sit with my family. OP could just have one adult and one child board early, sit on the same side of the aisle and place a bag on aisle seat across from them. Then when they all reunite Dad sits where the bag is and Mom and the kids are right across from them.
I have no hesitation at all taking a seat, especially an aisle seat, with an unattended bag sitting on it.

Your odds of a lone middle seat staying empty long enough are pretty decent though.

If your flight is coming up soon, I wouldn't pay for it. If it is like 3+ months away, I might.
I just want to put in my two cents that EBCI is worth buying even just several weeks before the trip. We sometimes travel on relatively short notice, and even then, we're usually in A group with EBCI.

I have to ask, if you don't want to pay for EBCI why do you think someone should give up their seats for you? Do you think that that is fair of you to expect?

I agree that choosing not to pay for seating, then asking others to give up their seating (whether they paid extra for early boarding or stalked it at 24 hours) to accommodate you is presumptious and selfish.

I have no hesitation at all taking a seat, especially an aisle seat, with an unattended bag sitting on it. Your odds of a lone middle seat staying empty long enough are pretty decent though.
Same here. I buy EBCI so my autistic son can sit next to me and near a window with a decent view, so he'll stay calm and occupied during the flight. I pay to be able to take any unoccupied seat when our boarding turn comes up, and someone's bag sitting there to hold a place for someone else who chose not to purchase EBCI (there is no other reason for it to be there 2 minutes into boarding) does not make that seat occupied.

The one time I had to tell another passenger I was taking a saved seat it was a middle seat, actually, because my son wants the window and I always sit in the middle next to him.

Last edited:
I have no hesitation at all taking a seat, especially an aisle seat, with an unattended bag sitting on it.

Your odds of a lone middle seat staying empty long enough are pretty decent though.
Yeah that was only meant as a tactic that might work...no guarantees. Like I said I always buy EB so I know I can sit with my family. I've seen some pretty desperate faces on passengers boarding with low 'B' or 'C' tickets and I don't want to deal with that. For $15 a person it's worth it to know we will be seated together in a forward part of the plane.

I just want to mention this, to give a different perspective...

I had a flight with a connection and I bought the ticket with EBCI within a few days of when the flights were released. There was a delay on the first leg of the connection and when I made it to the gate for the second flight, boarding had already begun and I got on the plane way past my A-group boarding number. So just because a parent/child board the plane late and they ask for folks to move so that a parent can sit by their child, it should not automatically be assumed that they did not buy EBCI:hippie:.

I ALWAYS buy EBCI for my family, Myself, DH and DD. The flying is part of my vacation adventure and I want to enjoy every minute of it, not wasting energy being stressed about our seating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter