Southern California (& Disneyland): Backstage Magic Meets Thread

I liked when they had the GCH for BSM as it was more convenient for getting to the park.
But the pricing still seems weird. What "pluses" are included?
This kind of reminds me of when they had a WDW ABD and they had originally had the Polynesian (which is pricey) as the main hotel. Then a year later they had changed it to the Yacht or Beach Club Hotel and didn't change the price. It was weird. That ABD doesn't exist anymore.

Sooo, I'll come right out and ask the question. Is ABD planning to decrease the price of this trip given the permanent change to lower-priced accommodations? We're planning to do this trip in 2018. Frankly, the hotel change doesn't bother me at all since we are DVC members and typically stay at the Grand Californian for our regular Disneyland visits. I actually welcome the opportunity to check out the Disneyland Hotel, because I've never stayed there. But it does seem that ABD is going to be saving money as a result of this change, and it sure would be nice if it passed those savings on to its guests!

ABD has changed hotels for many Adventures.

For example.....

ABD used to stay next to St Marks Square in Venice. They now use the Hilton Molina Stucky which is on the other side of the canal.

I am told this is because this hotel has a pool and that families demand a pool when visiting Venice.

I don't foresee ABD lowering pricing.

I am passing along info that I have been given. These are not my views.

No matter how you rank DL hotels....the DL hotel is the original and that's ABDs stance on why this is being done.

Last edited:
I appreciate you sharing the news, Kevin! My husband and I have completed 2 Backstage Magic trips and plan to do another in a couple years, hopefully a DIS trip! :) While I understand Disney's reasoning for switching hotels, I am disappointed in the change and do feel like it is a downgrade. However, this will not change our wanting to go on our 3rd trip.

Disney probably has to bail out ESPN which is bleeding money by the millions. Disney outside ESPN would have a pretty healthy financial sheet.

I know it has been talked about extensively and it won't change the outcome,but it seems odd that they would change to DLH because it is the original and fits better with the trip. If that were indeed the case, why start with the GCH? The thought process doesn't add up. Honestly, I'm going to Disney and I'm going to pay Disney prices,which I know going into it, so it's fine.

I appreciate you sharing the news, Kevin! My husband and I have completed 2 Backstage Magic trips and plan to do another in a couple years, hopefully a DIS trip! :) While I understand Disney's reasoning for switching hotels, I am disappointed in the change and do feel like it is a downgrade. However, this will not change our wanting to go on our 3rd trip.
And this is why they do it. Because they can. They charge more, or you get less for your money, and people still come. That's the Disney way.

Sayhello

And this is why they do it. Because they can. They charge more, or you get less for your money, and people still come. That's the Disney way.

Sayhello

Exactly! It is a business, and while I may not always like it, well, somehow the mouse finds a way to get my money I will go and enjoy every minute and not worry about it. It is all about the experience.

Exactly! It is a business, and while I may not always like it, well, somehow the mouse finds a way to get my money I will go and enjoy every minute and not worry about it. It is all about the experience.
Precisely! ::yes::

Sayhello

Our family LOVES the Disneyland Hotel. Yes, the rooms are not as plush as the GC but the vibe is fantastic. It has my favorite pool on any Disney property (love the cabanas) and great food (Steakhouse 33; Chef Mickey's). We always choose to stay there when it's just the 3 of us. It is one of our favorite Disney hotels. GC is SO much like the Wilderness Lodge, it just seems kind of generic to me. DH is funky and a lot more fun. I think it's a great change that you will enjoy. And, it is not that much farther away and the monorail stop is really close.

Our family LOVES the Disneyland Hotel. Yes, the rooms are not as plush as the GC but the vibe is fantastic. It has my favorite pool on any Disney property (love the cabanas) and great food (Steakhouse 33; Chef Mickey's). We always choose to stay there when it's just the 3 of us. It is one of our favorite Disney hotels. GC is SO much like the Wilderness Lodge, it just seems kind of generic to me. DH is funky and a lot more fun. I think it's a great change that you will enjoy. And, it is not that much farther away and the monorail stop is really close.

And Trader Sam's!

We are signed up for July 16. This will be our first ABD trip and are super excited about it. We are a little bummed about the switch to DLH. We love DLH, but have never stayed at the GC and were looking forward to it. Is anyone else here going July 16?

Does anyone know whether or not Disney gift cards or Disney Visa rewards are viable payment methods at the Disney Studio Store, Disney Soda Fountain, etc? I've been squirreling away cash for spending money for awhile now and I've prefer to carry gift cards, but I don't know if I should limit the amount to what I anticipate for food & spending at DL or if I can include my probably Disney shopping sprees on the LA portion of the trip as well.

Hi Folks,

I have received the following from ABD:

Good morning Kevin,

Thank you contacting Adventures by Disney!

I just spoke with our partners and they have confirmed that although all activities are subject change, Walt's Apartment is still scheduled to be visited for the 2017 season.

The apartment is still not ADA compliant. You must be able to climb stairs to visit.

Hi Folks,

Good morning Kevin,

I just spoke with our partners and they have confirmed that although all activities are subject change, Walt's Apartment is still scheduled to be visited for the 2017 season.

The apartment is still not ADA compliant. You must be able to climb stairs to visit.

Fantastic! Hopefully we get to see it on our trip in December. Thanks Kevin for the information

Hi Folks,

Good morning Kevin,

Thanks for this update!

Is there a way to update the first post with the current dates for this trip? I know some people many many pages back said they were going on my week. But there are a lot of pages to reread to find that information! LOL I was hoping to see if there were any other teens going on our July 30-August 4, 2017 trip so my daughter could chat with someone before we travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter