South Carolina's Lowcountry?: A Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort Trip Report!

Looks GREAT!:thumbsup2

Wherever I am on vaca, must have an ITALIAN NIGHT! YAY!:cheer2:

My cousin was just on the Island and discovered an Italian place, Flora's, I believe, that they really loved. We'll have to try that next trip.

Great photos Danielle! I especially liked the ones in Big Murgie's Den...the clothing style really fit the location. :thumbsup2 And of course beach portraits are always awesome and these were no exception.

Thank you, Glenn! We are so in love with the photos and they are already on display in our home. I love looking at them and reminiscing about our fun trip!

Beautiful pictures!

Thank you so much!

Looks GREAT!:thumbsup2

Wherever I am on vaca, must have an ITALIAN NIGHT! YAY!:cheer2:

We try to do that, too! Mmmm, so yummy. :)

My cousin was just on the Island and discovered an Italian place, Flora's, I believe, that they really loved. We'll have to try that next trip.

Would love to hear what you think about it!

5/13/2014
Mini-Golf & Swimming

Today was Chris's birthday, so we let the birthday boy pick out some activities he'd like to do. We were also finally going to utilize some of the food we bought from Kroger and decided to cookout for dinner. Chris suggested playing a round of mini-golf at Pirate's Island, which was next-door to the resort.

We got to Pirate's Island before lunchtime so we had the course all to ourselves. And bonus: Chris got to play for free since it was his birthday! There were two courses to pick from and we chose the one with the waterfall. We started out by taking a hokey picture with Chris and my Mommy in the stocks.

We had so much fun trying to bring our best game. :rotfl2: My mother was surprisingly the only one that got a hole-in-one. Overall, our scores were shameful, but Chris and I tied for first place.

The winners!

It was starting to get pretty humid out, so we thought we'd head down and cool off at the pool for a little bit. I wanted to make sure I got to try the resort slide, since I loved the one at Vero Beach so much.

Everyone else seemed to have the same idea since we couldn't find any tables out in the sun, so we put our belongings at a table near the recreation window. My parents stayed by the table to nap and read, while Chris and I went off for a swim.

We played with some of the giant beach balls that were being tossed around, did some handstands, and went down the slide. OH BOY, this waterside was so much fun! (It was even better than Vero Beach'sbut shhhh, don't say anything to Mickey! ;) )

I started to work up an appetite from all of our swimming, so we headed back to the room and prep for our dinner.

To be continued

Last edited:

Great report! Love the photo shoot! I just booked some nights at HHI this morning for April. Did you remember the name of that Italian restaurant? That lasagna sure looked scrumptious!

Laurie

Great report! Love the photo shoot! I just booked some nights at HHI this morning for April. Did you remember the name of that Italian restaurant? That lasagna sure looked scrumptious!

Laurie

Hoping to go to HHI early June '15...I "jotted" down some interesting HHI tidbits of info and I have a note saying Ombra Cucina Rustica...Is that the name?
I have written that it is right out of the main Shelter Cove Area in a small shopping area with Wendys.. Hopefully, that is the one you were referring to...If not, who knows, maybe a new one?
Enjoy!:dance3::yay:

Laurie

Hoping to go to HHI early June '15...I "jotted" down some interesting HHI tidbits of info and I have a note saying Ombra Cucina Rustica...Is that the name?
I have written that it is right out of the main Shelter Cove Area in a small shopping area with Wendys.. Hopefully, that is the one you were referring to...If not, who knows, maybe a new one?
Enjoy!:dance3::yay:

After looking at a map, the italian restaurant is called Bella Italia! :thumbsup2 Hope you both have fun planning your trips next year...I wish I could stow away in your suitcases! :laughing:

Aren't waterproof cameras fun? We love ours! Makes for some fantastic vacation memories.

Hope that we can use this list if not '15 then '16!

The tips are REALLY HELPFUL! Added Bella Italia to the list!:thumbsup2::yes::

So glad I found this trip report! We are hoping to visit HHIR in April 2015 and information is hard to find. Enjoying reading your report. :)

Great TR! I haven't stayed at this resort, but I've been going to HHI since 1990 - we had a timeshare in Shipyard Plantation. Now, my parents have retired and live in Bluffton, just off the island, so I'm down there every few months. I love it!

Skull Creek Boathouse is one of my favorite restaurants there, great choice!

It looks like in order to get to Signals and order a Dole Whip, you need a resort key card - is that right? I may have to stand outside and bribe someone to buy me a Dole Whip, I had no idea they are that close to my parents' house! Forget Dairy Queen, I want a Dole Whip! ;)

Do you know if you have to be a guest at the resort to shop in the Mercantile store?

Looking forward to more of your TR! :)

Great trip report! LOVE to finally find some great pics of HHI disney - we usually do palmetto dunes condos every year , LOVE HHI. Considering staying at disney at some point, we are spoiled by being oceanfront at Captain's walk next door to the disney beach house :) But you might convince us.

The pool certainly looks INVITING right about now!:):thumbsup2
FREEZING COLD, brrrrr.......:eek::scared1:

So looking forward to HHI early summer!:):woohoo:

Love your review and pictures.
Is there a fee for mini golf
also someone mentioned that there is a zip line is that true

Aren't waterproof cameras fun? We love ours! Makes for some fantastic vacation memories.

They really are! :thumbsup2

Hope that we can use this list if not '15 then '16!

The tips are REALLY HELPFUL! Added Bella Italia to the list!:thumbsup2::yes::

So happy you are finding this TR helpful! Thanks!

So glad I found this trip report! We are hoping to visit HHIR in April 2015 and information is hard to find. Enjoying reading your report. :)

Thank you so much!

Great TR! I haven't stayed at this resort, but I've been going to HHI since 1990 - we had a timeshare in Shipyard Plantation. Now, my parents have retired and live in Bluffton, just off the island, so I'm down there every few months. I love it!

Skull Creek Boathouse is one of my favorite restaurants there, great choice!

It looks like in order to get to Signals and order a Dole Whip, you need a resort key card - is that right? I may have to stand outside and bribe someone to buy me a Dole Whip, I had no idea they are that close to my parents' house! Forget Dairy Queen, I want a Dole Whip! ;)

Do you know if you have to be a guest at the resort to shop in the Mercantile store?

Looking forward to more of your TR! :)

Yes, to get into Signals you need a KTTWC. You might be able to get one from the resort itself, at the quick service window. Guests may visit the resort, so I don't see why you couldn't go to the gift shop, but I don't have a definitive answer. Thanks for reading along!

Great tips... I added them all to my tripadvisor account. Can't wait to read the rest.

Thanks!

Great trip report! LOVE to finally find some great pics of HHI disney - we usually do palmetto dunes condos every year , LOVE HHI. Considering staying at disney at some point, we are spoiled by being oceanfront at Captain's walk next door to the disney beach house :) But you might convince us.

You really should stay with Disney! It's super magical! pixiedust:

The pool certainly looks INVITING right about now!:):thumbsup2
FREEZING COLD, brrrrr.......:eek::scared1:

So looking forward to HHI early summer!:):woohoo:

I know, too cold here! Let's go back to HHI!

Subscribing!! We just booked our fist trip to HHI!! I'm loving your TR!!

Thank you so much for reading!

Love your review and pictures.
Is there a fee for mini golf
also someone mentioned that there is a zip line is that true

Thanks! Mini golf was $11 for adult, $9 for children. Our birthday boy got in for free, so that helped save money. I haven't heard anything about a zip line, sorry!

5/13/2014
Cookout

We still had quite a few leftover groceries that we bought from Kroger the first night, so we decided to use them for Chris's birthday BBQ cookout. I called down to the front desk and asked for grilling supplies (like tongs, spatula, grill brush, etc.) and Mousekeeping brought it up lickety-split. Mommy told us to gather everything and follow her because she had found a perfect grilling location…and I have to admit, she did a great job. Look at that marsh view!

While the guys grilled, I decided to lay down in the adjacent hammock.

We ended up having traditional picnic foods like: chips, watermelon, hot dogs and burgers. Ahhh, it felt like we really kicked off the summer season! So yummy.

After our meal, we went back into our villa and had key lime pie for dessert. I had picked out dinosaur and lego brick candles to decorate (totally Chris) :) and we sang happy birthday.

Overall, it was a very fun and relaxing day at the resort. We ended the night by watching tv together and then began to pack up our belongings and get ready for our departure the next morning. :sad1:

To be continued…

5/14/2014
Departure

Sadly, the day had come…It was time to leave fantasy and magic behind and go back to the real world. :( I ran to the Merchantile to do some last minute souvenir shopping and then walked around the grounds to get a picture with the resort sign.

Goodbye, my new favorite resort!

We took a pit stop in Bluffton, SC to try Kelly's Tavern--a recommendation that Chris had been given for a killer reuben sandwich. It didn't look like much from the outside, but the owners were so friendly and…oh my gosh…the sandwich really did live up to the hype. I can still taste it. Chris was a happy camper.

After our lunch, we got back into the car and headed back towards the airport.

Bye, South Carolina!

We ended up running into more travel issues back at the airport…After dropping off our rental car, going through security, and getting to the gate, our flight had been canceled (something to do with Obama visiting the NJ area), so all subsequent flights were canceled for the whole week! :crazy2: We ended up having to get another rental car and driving overnight to get back in time for work the next morning. Very exhausting, but kinda fun since I got to spend more time with my family.

We had such a great time at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort! We still talk about this vacation and how it is probably one of the best we've ever taken. If you ever get the chance to try Disney's best kept secret, do it! :cheer2:pixiedust::thumbsup2

The End

This officially concludes my trip report--If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm going to try and write up a post-trip including a budget breakdown.

Thanks for reading along! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!