Sounds You Can Still Hear In Your Mind

The “woosh-whoosh” sounds of the monitor of my baby’s heartbeat when I was in labor.

My grandma’s voice, saying my name.

The eerie sound in 2006 when Buffalo had a surprise snowstorm in October, while trees still had leaves on them. It was so very quiet, with everything covered in snow, but then the frightening sound of branches cracking with the weight of the snow. We lost a lot of trees.

Train whistles. On a quiet night i can still hear one from far away but most trains are required to be silent in this area. I love the sound of the click clack of the train cars with the intermittent whistles. My aunt lived right next to a train track and I slept like a baby when I visited.

Last edited:

My great-grandmother had a beautiful singing voice, and she often sang The Rose in No Mans Land, which was a WWI song about Red Cross nurses. I can still see her sitting at her tiny kitchen table while she sang.

Train whistles. On a quiet night i can still hear one from far away but most trains are required to be silent in this area. I love the sound of the click clack of the train cars with the intermittent whistles. My aunt lived right next to a train track and I slept like a baby when I visited.

I love the sound of trains too. All our windows are closed for the winter but in the summer, late at night, we can hear trains. The closest tracks to us are blocks and blocks away.

They've got one of those gas stations on Sanibel that looks straight out of the 40's/50's and dings when you pull in! We saw it a few weeks ago, it was cool.
For me that sound of of the two AM stations out of Philly remind me of my childhood....News Radio 1060 and WWDB, which coincidentally was my eldest sons first "word".

I haven't listened to that station in years, maybe decades, but I can still hear that jingle...."KYW...News Radio...1060."

The jack in the box I had as a child, the rooster on my see and say.

My favorite was the coyote yelping.

I apologize that this topic brought back bad memories for some posters. Sorry for your losses.

The sound of a vinyl record dropping from the stack onto the turntable and the tone arm swinging over and the needle touching down. The sound of the needle hitting the end of the record.

The sound of our neighbor singing so loudly he could be heard over the lawnmower he was pushing. Luckily, he had a good singing voice.

The sound of Tinkerbell “ringing her little bells” telling me to turn the page in the book that went with the record.

The sound of my body hitting the wood floor when I fell off the top bunk of the bunk beds (where I wasn’t supposed to go in the first place).

The sound of my foot being broken.

the sound of my nose being broken..............both times

the frightening sound of branches cracking with the weight of the snow

sound of my roof collapsing from a snow storm (sounded like gunshots when the beams broke)

others-

the keypunch terminal i created inventory cards on (it was a mutant huge, loud ibm)

wooden roller coasters (big dipper, santa cruz ca)

the woosh of pneumatic tubes (worked in an old building that still had operational ones that we could send stuff downstairs in)

metronomes....endless, countless metronomes for hours on end :crazy::crazy: (had to test them when we got shipments at the music store i worked in).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter