Sooooo undecided....and confused

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
Dining plan vs no dining plan

I've just listed out my ADRs and assumed an "average" for QS meals. I have AP and DVC discounts, so I tried to account for all that,too.

We have 2 rooms: 3 people and 2 people. 1 room is 7 nights and 1 room is 6 nights (we are keeping one room on last day because of very late flight and want the option of showers, rest etc)
So, I have an awful lot of combos as far as how to 1) list the people in each room and 2) choosing different plans for each room.

Since I know about how many TS and QS I will "need" I have a pretty good idea on how to narrow things down.
And I have.
But the numbers are just so close.

I think the best dining plan option (closest match to what we intend to use) will cost us about $200 MORE than if we pay OOP.

However, I did not include any alcoholic beverages if OOP and very few desserts. Also, I am limiting our snacks to 1 per person per day if OOP and planning on a breakfast or 2 of cereal in the room.

So, for $200, we could have drinks and desserts and extra snacks if we want them and I am absolutely sure we would not need to spend any add'l cash OOP for meals and wouldn't NEED to eat cereal in the room. We will be ok without all that, but wouldn't mind having them and I kind of like the idea of not being "limited"

1) WWYD?

3 people in our group are 21+ but the young just turned 21 yo does not drink (at least not with us).

2) If we are pooling credits from a room with Deluxe DP and a room with QSDP, does who booked which plan (and their 21+ status) matter for ordering?

My D does not drink soda, so she will almost always just drink water. Her BF (21 non drinker) likes soda. So, I was thinking he could order a beer/wine/whatever for me or dh (bonus drink for one of us) and DD could order a soda for him.

3) Would this be possible?

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

2) If we are pooling credits from a room with Deluxe DP and a room with QSDP, does who booked which plan (and their 21+ status) matter for ordering?

My D does not drink soda, so she will almost always just drink water. Her BF (21 non drinker) likes soda. So, I was thinking he could order a beer/wine/whatever for me or dh (bonus drink for one of us) and DD could order a soda for him.

3) Would this be possible?

It doesn't matter who books the plan or who does the ordering as long as someone over 21 picks up the alcohol from the QS and/or has I.D. at TS.

Yes, BF can order a beer and DD order a soda and then everyone switch drinks.

As to WWID....I can't answer that as DDP never makes sense for our family. Sounds like it might for yours this time around.

Every think of adding the Deluxe Dining plan for one of the rooms and sharing the credits amongst your whole group? It’s $116.25 pp/per day. 3 credit pp/per day(QS or TS).

It doesn't matter who books the plan or who does the ordering as long as someone over 21 picks up the alcohol from the QS and/or has I.D. at TS.

Yes, BF can order a beer and DD order a soda and then everyone switch drinks.

As to WWID....I can't answer that as DDP never makes sense for our family. Sounds like it might for yours this time around.

I keep re-running numbers and am leaning toward DXDP for just one room and cash for the rest. I think it will give us exactly enough credits for our TS we have planned and almost enough snacks. Our OOP will consist of about 8 QS meals per person and 2 breakfasts in the room (because we really don't have time for breakfast on EMH mornings anyway).

We are staying in studios at BWV, so we can make coffee in the room and since we are not big soda drinkers, 1 mug per room will likely be enough if someone wants to run and get a hot chocolate or something every once in awhile. If it's not, we'll buy mugs as needed.

Possibly the best of both worlds.....so I hope!

My TS meals come out to $1300 if on cash (no alcohol) and I feel like I'm pretty accurate because a few are AYCTE. So, for $1395 I can get 36 TS credits (need 35) and 24 snacks, 2 mugs. So, for $95 I will get alcohol with dinner, desserts if we want them, 24 snacks (hoping to use at Festival of the Holidays at Epcot for mini-meals/max value), 1 QS meal, and 2 mugs.

Really, the alcohol tips the scales. We aren't big drinkers at home, but don't mind a drink with dinner when on vacation / dining out. Maybe we won't save a lot, but we shouldn't "lose". If I didn't have AP / DVC discounts it would be a bigger savings and an easier decision.

Every think of adding the Deluxe Dining plan for one of the rooms and sharing the credits amongst your whole group? It’s $116.25 pp/per day. 3 credit pp/per day(QS or TS).

Yep, just posted above. I think that is what is going to work best.

I can get 36 TS credits (need 35) and 24 snacks, 2 mugs. So, for $95 I will get alcohol with dinner, desserts if we want them, 24 snacks (hoping to use at Festival of the Holidays at Epcot for mini-meals/max value), 1 QS meal, and 2 mugs.

Not sure how you're figuring your credits, but remember, at any a la carte place, every person who orders gets app, entree, and dessert. If all 5 of you order, that's a TON of food. You may be able to share and stretch those credits a bit further, so you don't have as many OOP QS meals.

Not sure how you're figuring your credits, but remember, at any a la carte place, every person who orders gets app, entree, and dessert. If all 5 of you order, that's a TON of food. You may be able to share and stretch those credits a bit further, so you don't have as many OOP QS meals.

I actually totally forgot about the appetizer. Yes, we will probably be able to stretch things a bit then! We could pay for the most expensive QS meals with dining credits left over.

I may actually replace one of my AYCTE meals now....lol. You can't share on those, obviously.

Thanks!

We are a family of 6 with 2 rooms at Pop with free dining. One room with 2 people have upgraded to DxDP for 8 nights. We have 48 TS credits to feed 6 full fledged adults who will happily enjoy the included cocktails at our meals. Half of those TS credits will be used for 2 signature meals (California Grill brunch and Flying Fish dinner), the rest will still be plenty to cover our 6 remaining days of TS because there is no way we need or want 6 entrees, 6 apps, and 6 deserts at each meal. More likely sharing, especially at places like Sanaa, Skippers Canteen, Spice Road, and Yak & Yeti, that have portions easily shared. Not sure it would work as well on DDP, but since you’re considering DxDP, I think there is plenty of food to share.

I am totally rethinking my ADRs now. We are a party of 5 and I'm looking at some of these appetizers and thinking we can make do with 3 TS credits for the 5 of us. Are there limits on the appetizers in terms of price? I'm looking at ESPN club and nachos are $19 and 18 wings are $22. Are those considered for 1 person??? :scared1:

I am totally rethinking my ADRs now. We are a party of 5 and I'm looking at some of these appetizers and thinking we can make do with 3 TS credits for the 5 of us. Are there limits on the appetizers in terms of price? I'm looking at ESPN club and nachos are $19 and 18 wings are $22. Are those considered for 1 person??? :scared1:

As long as they don't say "for two" you should be good.

I have same dilemma. 2 rooms 4 actual adults and 2 “Disney” adults (10&12). I can get DxDP for 2, which gives us 1 TS each day for all 6 of us, plus a few snacks. Looks like DxDP is a little more expensive than OOP for the restaurants I booked, but would give flexibility for more drinks, apps, and deserts. We are DVC so we will have 2 meals a day in the room.

OTOH, it’s WAY more than I spent 18 months ago on our last trip. Amazing how high prices have gone. I guess I could eat more QS and less AYCTE to get the cost back down.

I have same dilemma. 2 rooms 4 actual adults and 2 “Disney” adults (10&12). I can get DxDP for 2, which gives us 1 TS each day for all 6 of us, plus a few snacks. Looks like DxDP is a little more expensive than OOP for the restaurants I booked, but would give flexibility for more drinks, apps, and deserts. We are DVC so we will have 2 meals a day in the room.

OTOH, it’s WAY more than I spent 18 months ago on our last trip. Amazing how high prices have gone. I guess I could eat more QS and less AYCTE to get the cost back down.

The prices have skyrocketed, and you can reduce the cost but the question is do you want to? WE decide ahead of time how we want to eat, book out meals and go from there. I love it when the family dynamics on a trip allow for two rooms, with two kids in one of the rooms. DxDDP in one room, no plan in the other. But that does not always happen. Darn!

This is what we’re doing too, same as you, 3 in one room and 2 in the other.

If costs are close, do what makes your vacation more enjoyable. Love the idea of going home to no/minimal bill because you pre-paid? Do the dining plan! Will the idea of possibly spending more eat away at your soul? Don't do the dining plan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!