Son's First Trip - Advice needed

heatherj

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! I just was reading over some of the posts here and am already getting some great ideas from that alone.

While we are not new to Disney by any means this will be my youngest son's first trip. He just turned two and will just be three when we go. We will be going the first week of May next year. I think we will be staying at the Poly - because of the ease of transportation to MK and EPCOT.

Here's my question(s): DS will be just three when we go - he will not be able to walk then (most likely) and may not be able to stand well yet then either. So therefore his stroller will have to function as a wheelchair.

What things should we know ahead of time to make this trip as fun for him and for my other two boys and as easy as possible.
Does anyone have any recommendations? This is all new to us. I am so excited to be taking him on his first trip! Ican't wait - but I know it may be challenging too. Now just in case it helps - he doesn't speak and some other more minor disabilities but healthwise - he has no problems.

I truly welcome any of your thoughts or suggestions . . .

Heather

You can get a card which will allow you to use your ds's stroller as a wc. I'm sure Sue or another expert here will do a better and more through job of explaining exactly how you do this, but I just wanted to welcome you to this board!!! If you tell us what he (and your other soms) like/don't like, I am sure there will be lots of suggestions for you.

:wave: Cupcake

Here's the information that cupcake mentioned. :)
The special card is called a Guest Assistance Card - we call it a GAC to avoid typing so much, but I have no idea if WDW CMs call it that too.
You can request a GAC at any of the parks at Guest Services. You don't need a doctor's letter or any proff, just your DS and an explanation of what special needs he has. The GAC is not meant to (and usually won't) eliminate or shorten your wait in line, but it will give you conditions or a place to wait that is more appropriate for your needs. There are different messages that can be stamped on the GAC to let the CMs at the rides see what needs you have. One of the messages is to be allowed to use a stroller as a wheelchair; which allows the stroller to be brought into lines and building where strollers are not usually allowed.
The GAC is usually issued for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability) and is usuaaly dated to be valid for your entire trip. You don't need a GAC from each park; one GAC is valid in all the parks. There may be times when you are asked to split into groups of less than 6 - that's usually situations where the wheelchair accessible area is small or they already have/expect a lot of wheelchair guests.
To use the GAC, show it to the CM at the ride entrance and you will be directed what to do. At MK, some of the lines are not totally wheelchair accessible, so you may be directed out of the main line at some point. At AK and the Studio, almost everything is wheelchair accessible, so you will be able to wait in the regular lines.

You said he doesn't speak, is he starting to use any alternative communication (sign language, picture boards)? How well does he seem to understand? My DD is non-verbal and I can give more info if I know about him.

Sue and Cupcake thanks for the info.

He really has no means of communication at this point. Because of his age we are just now trying to figure out what will work with him. We as his parents just kind of "know" what he might want. He seems to like "visual" we think. He's very content shopping and walking different places - which is one reason we think he might like Disney - perhaps he can't ride everything - but Disney is a very visual place.

We are concerned about things like parades and fireworks. Things we think he might like (again very visual) but how we will be able to ensure he will be able to see since he's in a stroller - and quite heavy to hold for extended periods of time.

Even silly things like - how do you respond when people who can't tell he is disabled try to tell you not to go this way - or that we can't use his stroller, etc. What is the "right" thing to say?

Even things like - the type of stroller we might want to buy or use.
We use one now - a Kolcraft - but he's pretty tall and his feet get stuck in the wheels, etc..

So sorry - so many questions . . . .

Heather

He really has no means of communication at this point. Because of his age we are just now trying to figure out what will work with him. We as his parents just kind of "know" what he might want. He seems to like "visual" we think.
He might like a picture communication board. If this quick explanation doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll expand on it.
For example, you might have one page that has pictures of items he likes to eat for snack. Start out with a small number, like 2 realistic pictures -digital cameras are great for that. He can point to the item he wants (you may be beyond 2 pictures already or you may have to start out with some exercises to show him a picture represents a real thing - I don't know where he is at). Anyway, we had communication pages put up with velcro or magnets all over when DD was little. She had food ones for each meal and snacks. SHe had toy ones, and things to do ones. Very powerful for a non-verbal child to be able to communicate anything. If you haven't already, you probably will be working with a Speech/Language person -they also work with alternative methods to communicate.
We are concerned about things like parades and fireworks. Things we think he might like (again very visual) but how we will be able to ensure he will be able to see since he's in a stroller - and quite heavy to hold for extended periods of time.
Many people with kids in strollers just park the stroller up along the curb on the parade route, so you won't be alone doing that. With a GAC, you could also use the handicapped viewing areas, although that might not work well with your other kids. When we've used them, they are usually quite busy.
Even silly things like - how do you respond when people who can't tell he is disabled try to tell you not to go this way - or that we can't use his stroller, etc. What is the "right" thing to say?
That's what the GAC Stroller-as-a-wheelchair card is good for. Some people are clueless though anyway. When DD was about 4, we were going into the Land at Epcot, where strollers are not allowed (unless you have a GAC). DD's wheelchair was not the type that could be confused with a stroller - it had big back wheels and a very un-stroller-like seat. The CM left us in with no trouble, but a mom behind us came up quickly with her stroller and blocked our entrance. SHe told the CM that if he let us in with our "stroller" , he had to let her stroller in too. The CM (and the poor lady's DH) tried to explain that our "stroller" was a wheelchair, but she was just not giving up. She pretty much made a fool of herself.
Even things like - the type of stroller we might want to buy or use.
We use one now - a Kolcraft - but he's pretty tall and his feet get stuck in the wheels, etc..
There are special needs strollers made for bigger kids. Some of them are really expensive and have specialized seated. Some kids don't need anything like that and can do with just a large size umbrella or jogging stroller. If he has a medical need for a stroller (which it sounds like he does), your insurance should actually pay for a special needs stroller. Tlak to your Physical or Occupational Therapist or the doctor. I don't have any more time right now, but there's a website called something like adaptivemall.com that has lots of good info about special needs strollers. You should be able to find it by doing a google search on "special needs stroller."

Welcome, HeatherJ!
My DS (5 years old) is high functioning autistic with speech delay and some fine motor skills problems. He loved the shows (Little Mermaid, Playhouse Disney,etc) on his first trip when he was 2. We used the GAC on our last trip (he was 4) and yes, we did get one stupid comment while using our stroller in line. One Mother kept pestering me saying (you can't take the stroller in line). I tried to tell her that I had permission, but finally showed her my GAC and told her my son had a disability. People around us just looked at that lady like she was the rudest person on earth. She did apologize. I think you will find that most people will not take it to that extreme though. One word of warning about those people mover things (those floors that move like a conveyer belt), those might be difficult for your son to maneuver.
Have fun on your trip!!!

DS 5 uses a wheelchair, but it looks a lot like a stroller, especially with the "roof" on. We always get the GAC and are sometimes ask for it. My three older kids are pros at answering "its a WHEELCHAIR" when we're told that strollers can't go into any place.

Unfortunately, as my son ages, his disabilities are a bit more apparent and fewer people question him. You would have never guessed when he was younger.

Sheila

Thanks everyone!

We are so excited to be taking our youngest this time.

I am just not sure what to expect, etc..

Thanks for all your replies - if you have any more thoughts, ideas or advice - please feel free to share them.

I am sure I will have more questions as the time approaches (seems forever away).

Heather

You may want to see if you can't get a "wheelchair/ stroller" , which are more suited to the needs of a larger, non-walker, such as your DS. If insurance of the Commonwealth doesn't yet cover this, there are a number of organizations that recycle adaptive equipment. Here in Massachusetts (another commonwealth ;) ) it's an organization called "Pass-it-on" which collects adaptive equipment that is now too small for our boy and drops off stuff he can use, all for a delivery fee and perhaps a donation. We passed along our wonderful "Panda" wheelchair stroller, that DS used from age 2 to age 4, and received his "Gorrilla" carseat (made by Tumbleform), thru Pass-it-on. I would imagine that there is a similar type operation in Pennsylvania as well (or maybe we're just lucky in Mass).

Good luck, and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter