Songs that depict a real life event

very edgy NYC
First recorded by the famous jazz singer Billie Holiday, ‘Strange Fruit’ is a song about the lynching of black people in the American South in the first half of the 20th Century. ... First recorded by the famous jazz singer Billie Holiday, ‘
It's tragic how Billie Holiday left this world too. It's a disgrace how she was treated in the end.

Wiki- "On May 31, 1959, Holiday was taken to Metropolitan Hospital in New York for treatment of liver disease and heart disease. The Federal Bureau of Narcotics, under the order of Harry J. Anslinger, had been targeting Holiday since at least 1939.[94] She was arrested and handcuffed for drug possession as she lay dying, her hospital room was raided, and she was placed under police guard."
Legacy- "The authorities levied one final insult by arresting her on her death bed on narcotics charges after someone allegedly found heroin in her hospital room."

Lynyrd Skynyrd's "That Smell":

LS guitarist Gary Rossington got drunk and high, and crashed his new Ford Torino into an oak tree in Jacksonville, Florida.

Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Gimme Three Steps":

Ronnie Van Zandt: In a biker bar in Jacksonville, he had a gun pulled on him for dancing with another man's woman.

Blue Oyster Cult's "Morning Final": Based on a true story of a subway murder that happened at the 23rd Street subway stop in Manhattan in the early 1970s.

Belleau Wood by Garth Brooks. Though the events didn't actually happen at Belleau Wood but other battle fields. I'm partial to it since I spent 2 years on USS Belleau Wood as ship's doctor.

I LOVE the Edmund Fitzgerald. I think out of nostalgia since I grew up in Upper Michigan and it was very popular at that point in my life.

The bombing of the 16th street Baptist church. Joan Baez. Birmingham Sunday

On 15, Sept 1963, the 16th St. Baptist Church, where a voter registration drive had been taking place was bombed by members of the KKK killing 4 children and injuring 22 people.
Just one week prior, Governor George Wallace stated that to stop integration, Alabama needed a few first class funerals.

Last edited:
"Another Day In Paradise"

She calls out to the man on the street
"Sir, can you help me?
It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep
Is there somewhere you can tell me?"

He walks on, doesn't look back
He pretends he can't hear her
Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
Seems embarrassed to be there

Oh think twice, cause it's another day for
You and me in paradise
Oh think twice, cause it's another day for you
You and me in paradise

Johnny Cash Lyrics

"Hurt"
(originally by Nine Inch Nails)

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

n 2002, Johnny Cash covered "Hurt" to commercial and critical acclaim; it was one of Cash's final hits released before his death, and the related music video is considered one of the greatest of all time by publications such as NME. Reznor praised Cash's interpretation of the song for its "sincerity and meaning", going so far as to say "that song isn't mine anymore."[2]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter