Son needs bi-focals

kandb

DIS Veteran
My 8 year old son has been wearing glasses since he was 4 years old. The doctor said now he needs bi-focals. We got him the frames that get darker if you go out into the sun, maybe that will help with the line that is obvious? His bottom prescription is 3.50 on both eyes. They are polycarbonate lenses (break resistance) and I am hoping that are not super thick and don't look that bad. He has strybismus in both eyes. The doctor does not think he will need surgery and think eventually the eyes will correct themselves. I feel bad for him since no one in his class last year had glasses and now he has to wear bifocals which look even worse. Hopefully he won't have to wear them too long. I am hoping they are not too hard to get used to. Anyones young child have to wear them? Any advice?

Our daughter had straybismus in both eyes and she had surgery when she was 7. It was the best thing we did for her. She is now 32. It immediately improved her vision and boosted her self esteem. I would get a second opinion on that portion of his problem.

My son (now 16) wore bifocals from the time he was 3 till he was in 5th grade. He also had 2 surgeries. Although he still wears glasses, his eyes corrected themselves enough that he does not need bifocals anymore.

Like you, I felt bad that he had to wear bifocals, but if that's what he needs, then that's what he needs. I tried to keep my concerns to myself and my son really did not have any problem with them. As far as I know, none of the other kids really commented on them other than simple curiosity. He even did his 3rd grade inventor/invention project on Benjamin Franklin inventing bifocals and had an old pair of his as a visual aid.

If you dislike how much your son's prescription magnifies his eyes there are certain kinds of polycarbonate that can minimize the magnification. (I think my son gets high-index polycarbonate. They're a little more expensive, but they're worth it to us.)

I teach in K-5 special education and two of my kids wear bifocals; both are in second grade (well, they'll be in 3rd grade when school starts in 2 weeks), one has strabismus. If it's any comfort to you, none of the other kids really seem to notice that these 2 wear glasses (they are in different classrooms) or say anything about it, that I've noticed (and I have lunch or recess duty with this grade level several times a week). I wouldn't focus on it making him look different from the other kids. I think kids at this age level are pretty accepting, IME. It's also really amazing to see the changes in kids when they get glasses/bifocals. It's like they didn't realize they couldn't see well, until they finally can literally see what they've been missing. It's pretty exciting to watch a kid be so excited about being able to see well!

It's also really amazing to see the changes in kids when they get glasses/bifocals. It's like they didn't realize they couldn't see well, until they finally can literally see what they've been missing. It's pretty exciting to watch a kid be so excited about being able to see well!

That's true. We took my son to the ophthalmologist because his eye was turning in (strabismus) but we hadn't noticed any problems with his eyesight. He liked to look at books, had no trouble with his shape sorter, etc. But once he got his glasses, it was pretty amazing. He kept running his fingers along the stitching on his quilt (white stitching on white fabric) like he'd never seen it before. And maybe he hadn't!

Why not get him progressive lenses. That way there is no line at all. When I needed bifocal's in my 40's I started off with progressive's and had no problem with them at all. I have heard if you start off with the line's it makes it harder to go to the progressive lenses. The only problem that I have ever had is that I am a computer programmer and as my eyes got worse i finally had to get a pair of computer glasses to wear for close up work and then my regular glasses with bifocals for reading. I have wore progressive bifocals for 14 years.

Why not get him progressive lenses. That way there is no line at all. When I needed bifocal's in my 40's I started off with progressive's and had no problem with them at all. I have heard if you start off with the line's it makes it harder to go to the progressive lenses. The only problem that I have ever had is that I am a computer programmer and as my eyes got worse i finally had to get a pair of computer glasses to wear for close up work and then my regular glasses with bifocals for reading. I have wore progressive bifocals for 14 years.

At least when my son had his, progressives were not an option for kids' lenses. The lenses just aren't large enough to do it. (I also started wearing progressives a few years ago, and the optical shop steered me away from certain frames because they didn't have enough vertical height for the progressives to work well. Lined bifocals can be more compact.)

I'll just chime in to say that I needed bifocals when I was younger, and they were NOT the no-line kind, ha ha. Anyway,my vision corrected to the point that I no longer needed the bifocal. Also, I didn't find that they damaged me socially (not that I was ever all that popular). Mostly, other kids would ask about them and it was a conversation starter. I don't think anyone much cared about the glasses being bifocal or not.

My DD10 who has worn glasses since she was 3, has worn bifocals since she was 5. Yes, her lenses are thicker than my standard lenses, but she honestly doesn't mind since it means that she can see what she's doing. Last winter she was fitted for contacts, so that's also an option, she just prefers to wear glasses. She is use to being one of the only kids in her class wearing glasses, but again, could care less because wearing them means that she can see things. When she was fitted for bifocals we did ask for the lenses to be as thin as possible, but they are thick. The line is noticeable if you stare at them. We were told that some kids will grow out of them in a few years, but most likely DD won't because her eyesight is so bad.

I can't remember the condition, but dd16 had eye surgery at 3, after a year of patching didn't work. It was a piece of cake, would rather have skipped that horrible year (she hated the patch).

Former Optician here -

The thickness of your glasses is determined by the curve of the lens needed, not whether it is a bifocal or not. Bifocal lenses and single-vision lenses should be the same thickness so long as they are exactly the same Rx.

"Far-sighted" lenses/Rx's start with a + (ie +.50, or +3.75) and will be thicker in the middle, making the eye appear larger. "Near-sighted" will start with a -, like -1.25 or -4.50, and the edges of the lens will be thicker than the middle. OP didn't specify which Rx her son has, so we as posters have no idea which lens her son will have unless she can clarify. Bifocal lenses can be made from both + and - Rx's.

I think most, if not all, optical manufacturers require children to wear polycarbonate lenses for safety reasons, because they are stronger and more shatter-resistant. These lenses are inherently thinner and lighter than plastic, or the glass lenses some people may remember from their youth lol

Progressives can be make from any lens material, and are actually a trifocal-ish lens since there is an intermediate distance. These lenses "progressively" (gradually) switch from distance to reading, eliminating the need for a line. This would not work for strabismus because the lens' (specifically the bifocal part) job is to draw the eye toward the optical center of the two focal points of the lens - this is part of the vision therapy that the bifocals are needed for in the first place. Kids don't really "outgrow" this condition, rather, the bifocals retrain the eye to focus where it needs to focus by strengthening the eye muscles. The PP was also correct - there needs to be a certain # of millimeters from the optical center of the lens to the base of the frame so that the area of progression isn't cut off, making it very difficult to fit a child-size frame. It *can* be done, the frame just has to be long enough to fit the progression.

Transition lenses don't get 100% back to clear when indoors, so keep that in mind - you will looking at your sons eyes through tannish-colored lenses. I'm personally not a huge fan of Transitions because I don't like the look of the constantly-tanned tint, but some people seem to like them. It's personal preference. I don't think that transitions will "hide" the bifocal any better than clear lenses will.

Hope this helps....if anyone sees anything incorrect above, feel free to chime it...it's been about 13 years since I've last worked in optical, so I'm not sure I'm completely in the loop on the newest recommendations and innovations!

Last edited:
Your son has been wearing glasses for half his life, so it's normal for him. I'm sure he'll adjust easily and be happy to have improved vision. I think more children wear glasses now than in previous generations, and they are less likely to be teased. Be positive and don't make a big deal of it. Let him pick out the frames he likes.

My son had to wear bifocals at that age. We were also told no progressive lenses. He's an adult now and wears simple single vision lenses.

I am 49 and am far-sighted and have strabismus in one eye. I've worn glasses since I was 18 months old. I didn't need a bifocal lens until I was mid-40's. I went straight to progressive lenses and was told I needed to pick a longer frame to accommodate the progressive lens. I agree with the pp that said kids lenses are probably too small.

I was teased horribly as a kid about my glasses and I hated it. I hated not being able to see much more. I work in a school and it seems kids don't tease about them as much. The important thing is for the op's son to be able see properly.

I just wanted to echo that my son is in 4th grade and they don't even seem to notice that kids wear glasses (or braces). It definitely isn't a reaso to be teased there.

My 8 year old son has been wearing glasses since he was 4 years old. The doctor said now he needs bi-focals. We got him the frames that get darker if you go out into the sun, maybe that will help with the line that is obvious? His bottom prescription is 3.50 on both eyes. They are polycarbonate lenses (break resistance) and I am hoping that are not super thick and don't look that bad. He has strybismus in both eyes. The doctor does not think he will need surgery and think eventually the eyes will correct themselves. I feel bad for him since no one in his class last year had glasses and now he has to wear bifocals which look even worse. Hopefully he won't have to wear them too long. I am hoping they are not too hard to get used to. Anyones young child have to wear them? Any advice?
I have worn glasses since I was 3. And I wear bi-focals. Did the DR. mention the line being invisible? I would ask. Since wearing glasses so long I never had a hard adjusting to bi-focals. I also am getting the transitions. I had eye surgery at about age 6 on the muscles. In fact I am waiting for my new glasses to come in. If it were me I would start out seeing how he feels about wearing them and how he sees from them. I would also let my child know how special they look with them. Don't stress to much. Take it one day at a time.:hug:

Thank you all for the great information and the kind encouragement. We did go pick out his frames and new glasses yesterday and he did seem excited. We got transitioning frames for when he goes out in the sunlight. I know he needs them and hope he will adjust quickly. His eye doctor said no to progressives, so I ordered the ones with the line and I am sure he will be fine. PS-we went to Costco and the frames, lenses with transitioning? lenses (get dark in the sunlight), came to $108. I was really happy with the optician also. He was really nice and helpful. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their summer.

As an adult I NEED bifocals but can't seem to get the hang of them. I am constantly switching to readers. I am surprised that kids can do them. But again kids seem that be able to pick up things easier then us "old folks."

As an adult I NEED bifocals but can't seem to get the hang of them. I am constantly switching to readers. I am surprised that kids can do them. But again kids seem that be able to pick up things easier then us "old folks."

How long have you had them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter