Sometimes I hate my body (pathetic whining)

Elaine -- unfortunately the gastro I'm going to is considered one of the best in our area, and the only one I'm willing to drive to (and I'll also admit I don't want surgery and I'm scared that's what he'll say it will take). I take too much time out of my life and work for doctor's visits as it is. I don't want to drive 2 hours to get to a different doctor on the other side of town just to have him tell me "don't eat a, b, c, or d, eat e, f, or g instead" when I have *other* allergies to/problems with e, f, or g. :(

It's like the usual answer to lactose intolerance is to drink soy milk or use other soy products. Only I'm allergic to soy products :rolleyes:

Or the gastro told me to lose weight (Sorry, but I'm *in* the "good limits" for my height and age group, I'm not going to kill myself by dieting to become a twig :mad: And the "you're a good weight" diagnoses comes from my GP and Endocrinologist ). I said this is the weight I maintain when I eat breakfast. He said what do you eat. I said (at the time) oatmeal. He said switch to a banana or an orange. I *can't* eat a banana or an orange. The banana makes my mouth break out, the orange does the same plus a stomach ache, and neither give me the energy I need to make it through the day until lunch. He had no other suggestions for food :rolleyes:

I've got the same problem my mom has -- too many different doctors trying to treat too many different things and so giving contradictory instructions. If I only had one problem, their solutions would work. But doing something to solve one problem causes a different problem.

I'm just a mess :rolleyes:

Originally posted by loki
heya..I dont post often..and no flames pls

No flames here, loki's wife (I forget your screen name, though I remember you :teeth: )

The chemicals are exactly the problem on a large number of the foods I eat. With the fruit, at least half the time it's the sprays they use on the fruit while they're growing. At least I'm pretty sure. Because when I use the organic ones, I don't have nearly the problems I have with non-organics. Only again it's that time problem... our grocery stores here don't reliably carry organic fruits and veggies, and those that do are an hour+ away. :(

Or the problem with some restaurant foods has typically come back to them using MSG or some other flavor-enhancer. MSG is the worst. But, oddly, there are a couple of restaurants that use MSG on their foods and I have no problems (or limited anyway) with them.

Other times it's just pepper or spices. I just can't handle spicy food. I know that, so I try to avoid it. I can do ground pepper if it's been ground a long time (like the black pepper from the grocery store). I can't do freshly ground pepper or cracked peppercorns. And anything spicier... ugh. That's one I can avoid.

Then there's the fast foods. McD's and such just give me stomach aches. I think it's the grease. So I try to avoid those. But there are times when the only option that sounds good is something like McD's. So I just put up with heartburn after that.

Ditto fried foods (other than, for some reason, KFC's original recipe. I do okay with that).

I actually do okay with breads, eggs, and pasta if there's not a lot of spice on them, but even still I have a hint of a problem usually.

If I went through the whole list of foods I couldn't have, I find I'd probably be better off living 100 years ago when you were growing and raising your own food :rolleyes: :p

Why hasn't the gastro done an endoscopy to rule out esophogitis or ulcer? Do you have IBS? Has he done a colonscopy?

Oh, Rajah, how I can relate. I eat so little that it is affecting the levels of nutrients in my blood. I can't eat milk products, and most red meats. I only have 1/3 the normal amout of intestines because it keeps being taken out. I know what causes my problems, but it doesn't make it any easier to eat. I'm not allergice to anything (thank goodness), but if it has fiber, I can't digest it. I am now taking whole food supplements, and next week I am buying a juicer. Being from the Boulder area where organic is so important, finding good, organic fruits and veggies won't be a problem. I hope you're able to find something out. There's nothing worse than having stomach problems. It affects your whole life. {{{{HUGS}}}} to you, and keep us posted on what the docs find out.

Originally posted by A kid at heart
Why hasn't the gastro done an endoscopy to rule out esophogitis or ulcer? Do you have IBS? Has he done a colonscopy?

He did. I don't have IBS, I have whatever the consistant heartburn/acid stomach problem is. Acid Reflux I think is the common name but there's another. I also have a hernia that I think they said is typically inherited and can be surgically corrected if it causes too much trouble. No ulcer.

You poor thing. I hope you find some relief soon:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter