Something Different!

DryCreek

Peter Pan (never grows up)
OK, I'll have to confess that this trip report may be on a different tangent than what you typically read here, but I just couldn't find any other forum area where it would fit better.

First, a little background. I am a huge fan of Disney parks and resorts. My wife? Well, let's just say she tolerates trips to Disney properties as long as I allow her "enough time to savor the memories from our most recent visit". So, I'd classify her as a non-believer in the pixie dust department.

But, surprisingly enough, I was able to "get some Disney in" during a business trip with her last week. My wife had to attend a meeting and sale in Macon, MO., so I researched things to do locally while there. Well, little did I know - the Walt Disney Hometown Museum was only about 30 miles away! I made time to go there and spent a little over an hour going through the exhibits.

http:\\home.windstream.net\dclonghorns\Photo021.jpg

Photo021.jpg

It was a real treat seeing where Walt spent his formative years and how the rural lifestyle influenced him and piqued his interest in nature. There wasn't as much on display as they'd like to have, but they are off to a great start. They are having to create special display cases that are sealed in order to display many of the older light and humidity sensitive documents bequeathed to them. The original planning models of the Disneyland Main Street buildings are interesting. Just looking at each section of the original park through the models (diorama's?) makes you wonder if Walt would approve of the changes made through the years, and the current state of Disney Parks leadership.

Anyway, I guess that you can get a little Disney in no matter where you go - providing you can do a little planning!

Oh, and the other thing about this place - it is right on a BNSF main line (triple tracked by the museum), so any railroad fans out there can get their fix of that too! They told me that over 70 trains per day rumble by the old Marceline Santa Fe depot. I even saw the odd UP freight passing through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter