Something “special” for 14 yo girl?

Tigger in a kilt

DIS Veteran
My younger niece has an appointment at BBB. Her older sister (14) would hate something like that, but I try to treat them equally, so I’m trying to find something “special” we can do with her on our upcoming WDW trip. Edit: They live on the west coast of the US and we live in the U.K., so these 3 days in WDW are our only chance to see them this year.

My husband said to just give her the cash equivalent (about $80?) of what we spend on her sister, but I would like to find something slightly more creative!

I thought about doing the Pick a Pearl in Epcot with both girls, and get a necklace for the younger one and nicer/grown up earrings for the 14 year old.

Here are the catches:
a. they are only at WDD for 3 full days, so we are very limited in time; b. neither girl is especially into Disney, though both are excited about their first WDW trip; and
c. we are already paying for their hotel, flight, tickets, MNSSHP entry, meals and spending money, so I don’t want to spend loads of extra money.

An experience is probably better, though a nice piece of jewellery or something else special (maybe a nice snow globe?) would also be ok. I don’t want to just buy her an extra sweatshirt, for example. Experiences are tough though, because her sister would always be there and that makes it less just about her.

I had looked into the cake decorating at Amorette’s but I can’t make the timing work. She enjoys cooking, so maybe there would be something interesting at F&W?

I may be overthinking this, and she may be perfectly happy with $10 for an ice cream and a ride on Space Mountain while her sister in the BBB, and she would never say anything to me if she did feel jealous that her sister got more. However, any suggestions would be very welcome, so I can start thinking about options. Thank you.

Last edited:
How about if you take her out before going on the trip for lunch and to get her hair done, maybe even an outfit or swimsuit for the trip?

How about if you take her out before going on the trip for lunch and to get her hair done, maybe even an outfit or swimsuit for the trip?

That’s a lovely idea and I would definitely do that, except she lives on the west coast of the US and I live in the U.K. This is our “meet in the middle” trip with the girls! Thank you so much for the suggestion though, and I really should have included that info in my original post. Thank you!

There are some beautiful Alex and ani style bracelets in the parks for around $50. My 15 yo niece loved the one she picked out. Pick a pearl is great but can be time consuming depending on the wait to pick and the time needed to set the Pearl's in jewelry.

Is she "girly" for her age? My 11-year old DD is always asking to get her nails done. The 50-minute manicure is $55:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/spas/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/senses-spa/

If she's not girly, what about going shopping at Disney Springs at Uniqlo or something like that? My DD likes shopping for cool hoodies. Give her a budget and she can pick a souvenir. Only downside is that it takes a bit of time off the parks. Works best if you were already planning to eat over there.

If she would like a makeover experience, she isn't too old to do Pirate's League in Adventureland. As others have suggested, perhaps take her shopping down Main St. while her sister is at BBB? If you have time, you could go to one of the resort salons for a mani/pedi. I think pick-a-pearl is a good idea or perhaps something in one of the shops in EP. Does she like make-up or perfume? The shops in Italy and France have some nice items that aren't Disney related (Guerlain, Aqua di Parma, etc.). If you are heading to Disney Springs, there are a ton of shops there as well.

If she is into cooking/baking check out the specialty experiences at the F&W - I took my dd to "cooking with" and we saw Buddy the cake boss, still a highlight memory of hers not just wdw but in general. (I loved it as well, pricey but so worth it!)

I think there is a list here on the Dis of the specialty experiences you can book at F&W, some are more costly than a BBB however so it may not be an option unless you do it 1-1.

My younger niece has an appointment at BBB. Her older sister (14) would hate something like that, but I try to treat them equally, so I’m trying to find something “special” we can do with her on our upcoming WDW trip. Edit: They live on the west coast of the US and we live in the U.K., so these 3 days in WDW are our only chance to see them this year.

My husband said to just give her the cash equivalent (about $80?) of what we spend on her sister, but I would like to find something slightly more creative!

I thought about doing the Pick a Pearl in Epcot with both girls, and get a necklace for the younger one and nicer/grown up earrings for the 14 year old.

Here are the catches:
a. they are only at WDD for 3 full days, so we are very limited in time; b. neither girl is especially into Disney, though both are excited about their first WDW trip; and
c. we are already paying for their hotel, flight, tickets, MNSSHP entry, meals and spending money, so I don’t want to spend loads of extra money.

An experience is probably better, though a nice piece of jewellery or something else special (maybe a nice snow globe?) would also be ok. I don’t want to just buy her an extra sweatshirt, for example. Experiences are tough though, because her sister would always be there and that makes it less just about her.

I had looked into the cake decorating at Amorette’s but I can’t make the timing work. She enjoys cooking, so maybe there would be something interesting at F&W?

I may be overthinking this, and she may be perfectly happy with $10 for an ice cream and a ride on Space Mountain while her sister in the BBB, and she would never say anything to me if she did feel jealous that her sister got more. However, any suggestions would be very welcome, so I can start thinking about options. Thank you.
Give her a Disney gift card and let her spend it for anything she wants on Main Street while her sister has her BBB appointment. Your husband could stay at BBB with the younger one, while you accompany her on her shopping spree.

Great ideas here - thank you all very much!

I am definitely gong to look into what F&W classes are on when they are there. I hadn’t thought of that, but she would probably really enjoy it.

She’s not a girly girl, but she might enjoy buying some perfume or similar in Epcot. I hadn’t thought of the time element for getting earrings set at the Pick a Pearl, but that’s a very good point, and will likely take up far too much of our only Epcot day.

I’m not sure if we will get to Disney Springs, but we are staying at POR, so maybe we will make the effort to go down there on our last night if she hasn’t found anything she likes by then. I hadn’t even thought about that, thank you.

The gift card/shopping spree suggestions have made me realise that I’m being too rigid, so I really appreciate it. I think I was being unreasonable in wanting her to have a “sensible, grown up” present or experience. She will only just have turned 14 (she’s actually still 13) and what is special to her may not be what I think of as special. Plus, it’s not like I’m sending her sister to college - she’s going to BBB, which is certainly not an objectively sensible use of money!

One of my biggest joys in life is being an aunt, and while I’m very grateful that I am trusted with doing so much with my nieces and nephew, it makes me happy that I’m mostly seen as the “fun” aunt. I have a very responsible, grown-up job and I enjoy it when I’m able to enjoy the world through the girls’ eyes. The 14 year old is my oldest niece, and has always extremely mature and sensible, so she isn’t going to spend $70 on rubbish. So I am going to loosen up, give her the extra money and let her buy what she wants: that will be far more special to her than anything I decide is “special”.

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate all the suggestions.

My DD15 recently bought an adorable ring at WDW. She got it in Mouse Gears in Epcot in their jewelry section. It's a Pandora ring (a cute little bow), so not Disney themed. She loves it!

14 years old, limited time ....

It's a gamble to think she'd want a makeover, I wouldn't do something that is the same as the little (pearls), no real time for special event .... I would take her to Main Street shops that sells Pandora, Alex & Ani etc. The shops there feel more specialized and exclusive and are a treat to shop in more than some other parks shops.

It would be a nice time (without taking too much time) to let her pick something special with you there. PP posted an app to give you some ideas. Give her a price range and let her pick out something special she'll have to keep and be a nice reminder of a nice trip.

My DD15 recently bought an adorable ring at WDW. She got it in Mouse Gears in Epcot in their jewelry section. It's a Pandora ring (a cute little bow), so not Disney themed. She loves it!

14 years old, limited time ....

It's a gamble to think she'd want a makeover, I wouldn't do something that is the same as the little (pearls), no real time for special event .... I would take her to Main Street shops that sells Pandora, Alex & Ani etc. The shops there feel more specialized and exclusive and are a treat to shop in more than some other parks shops.

It would be a nice time (without taking too much time) to let her pick something special with you there. PP posted an app to give you some ideas. Give her a price range and let her pick out something special she'll have to keep and be a nice reminder of a nice trip.

Thank you both. I think you are right that I should let her pick something out herself, so that it is special to her. My guess is that she is likely to go for jewellery, and it sounds like there are some great options, but it really should be her decision. Thank you!

Thank you both. I think you are right that I should let her pick something out herself, so that it is special to her. My guess is that she is likely to go for jewellery, and it sounds like there are some great options, but it really should be her decision. Thank you!
I think a gift card is really a lovely idea because even if she isn't particularly into Disney - I guarantee she will want a special souvenir.

That being said, I was going to suggest a Henna tattoo at Animal Kingdom or Epcot. Very fun for tween / teen (heck even for an adult) and it usually lasts about a week. So a bit better that BBB in that regard.

I think a gift card is really a lovely idea because even if she isn't particularly into Disney - I guarantee she will want a special souvenir.

That being said, I was going to suggest a Henna tattoo at Animal Kingdom or Epcot. Very fun for tween / teen (heck even for an adult) and it usually lasts about a week. So a bit better that BBB in that regard.

That sounds like a fun idea - thank you! I will ask her mom how she feels about that, but I remember getting one on vacation at 14 and I thought I was the coolest person who ever lived!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!