Someone else parking the RV

My DW is like some other wives referenced here She won't get behind the wheel of our coach even when its a straight line She is not happy that I signed us both up for Drivers Confidence course offered by Lazy Days in Dec

My wife will not drive the truck and trailer setup in a straight line let alone back it up.

When we had our 21' hybrid, my DW would drive from rest area to rest area on the interstate. No corners, no backing, just pull in and out and she was willing. Once we got our 35' TT, that was done. She won't even think about maneuvering that one at all!

Ok i am the wife. On the trip in oct i did actually sit behind the wheel, start the coach, and pull it forward about 10 feet. Bert said he was going to make me drive this trip from one rest area to another, but not with all the issues we had. Plus i was supposed to watch all the driving videos again. At a minimum i would like to start it and pull it forward a little further.

As far is if something happens to Bert, i have a friend at work who actually has his CDL. He has not driven in a while but i still said i would fly him where ever i was and pay him mightily to get my coach back home. I do also like the answer, sell it where it is.

DW's response was a more harsh. "Sell it where it sits"

Ouch.

j

I'm certain that is where my wife would land. Not only driving, but operation, emptying tanks, set-up, etc... She sets up the inside for the family but has nothing to do with any of that! I am positive she would never use it again. It would likely be a call to AAA to have it towed to the closest dealer!

i will admit i do know how to do all the tanks and help with them. I also am learning about electrical systems. I am not mechanically inclined, but honestly i hate saying i can't do something just because i am a chick. I wanted the RV as well so i figure i should learn how to fix it. That is actually the only reason i am going to try hard to conquer my fear and learn how to drive it. Plenty of women drive trucks so i can do it. In general though i hate driving. I don't even want to drive my car. Yes it is fear of driving and even in my car i have plenty of it. I am getting better though just by sitting in the passenger seat of the rig. I definitely should not be sharing all this, but maybe it will help me get in that driver's seat.

The women who don't drive, set up, back in, dump tanks etc. are missing out on the whole 'nother world of "girls trips" - nothing like a road trip with my ladies! Plus DH and I just like having two drivers to switch off. And not to be crude, but there is nothing that having different *ahem* gender bits is going to do to help or hinder navigation of a vehicle.

The other thing I often remind fellow women who are hesitant: who is responsible for driving a huge fleet of roughly 30 foot vehicles around the streets and backroads of the nation carrying our most precious cargo? Yep, female school bus drivers.

The women who don't drive, set up, back in, dump tanks etc. are missing out on the whole 'nother world of "girls trips" - nothing like a road trip with my ladies! Plus DH and I just like having two drivers to switch off. And not to be crude, but there is nothing that having different *ahem* gender bits is going to do to help or hinder navigation of a vehicle.

The other thing I often remind fellow women who are hesitant: who is responsible for driving a huge fleet of roughly 30 foot vehicles around the streets and backroads of the nation carrying our most precious cargo? Yep, female school bus drivers.

I'll help if I'm there. I'm just retiring from managing a fleet of 150 school buses - and they are all 36 ft long. I have my CDL. If you can drive we can teach you how to back up.

Or maybe this could be a part time job for me? (Not interested in driving a Disney bus.....)

Is there a Camper World or something close by? (Pretty sure there is). Call them and ask if they know someone who would provide this type of service.

I will say I am surprised that Disney has not added pull through sites (,for an extra fee of course)

I will say I am surprised that Disney has not added pull through sites (,for an extra fee of course)

Seriously, why should they? The campground was there (most of it) way before pull throughs were a fairly common need. They take up twice the space of two sites (not always, but can).
Sure, they could add them across the road, but, why do it? They make more money the way things are - how many campers would pay double, or time and a half for a pull through site? We sure wouldn't. Backing in is not 'that' hard. They know people 'will' adjust, just to get a site there!!!

We have no problems backing in, but we've seen plenty of campers who really struggled, and if Disney can charge almost twice as much to pull through campsite (which I'm sure many of those same campers would pay) why not? Disney is all about catering to people's wants, not sure why this would be any different?

They did have a few at one time. 600 loop I believe. Prior to the 600 loop expansion. I can vaguely remember them being discussed back when I first joined up I believe.

Pull throughs are nice, but as NoM pointed out, they take up more room thus cutting into real-estate. Their demand just isn't enough, even at a higher rate.

Not a bad idea mind you.

I am. I keep telling DW that is what I want to do part time during the winter months, but she is not biting. Maybe one of these days.

It's a relatively easy job to get almost anywhere, including Disney if you have a clean driving history. My friend and I were talking to a driver while we were with them with no one else on the bus and Disney is always looking for drivers. They can't keep enough of them just like most places these days. The pay is small, much less than we pay our new people just starting. The Disney buses we were riding on were all pretty upgraded, driver wise. I rode the buses quite a bit this time, since I had to put my vehicle in the shop while we were there. I saw no bad behavior from passengers, mostly kids wanting to stand and parents wanting them to sit for safety, and lots of people just happy to be on vacation at Disney. I saw a lot of good drivers, very little aggressiveness. A few years ago I had stopped riding the buses because I didn't like what I was seeing. Either I got the cream of the crop this time or things have improved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter