Some thoughts on the park attractions

XStAnt

DIS Veteran
My wife and I just returned from a Holiday Week trip to the World. Here are my thoughts on the attractions at the various parks. We are both in our mid 30s with no children (yet) so our perspective may be a little different than others.

Magic Kingdom:

Great Rides: Alien Encounter, Space Mountain (still great even if technology is a little outdated), Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear, and Haunted Mansion. I've also developed a better appreciation for Main Street as I've gotten older.

Disappointments: Pirates of the Carribean, Timekeeper, Country Bears (technology needs to be updated).

Didn't do IASW, Peter Pan, Snow White or Winnie the Pooh.

Epcot:

Great Rides: Test Track, Body Wars, Cranium Command (highly under rated), Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Illuminations.

Disappointments: Ellen's Energy Adventure, the Land, Food Rocks, Living Seas (just a big aquarium, I expected more from Disney), the Maelstrom, El Rio del Tiempo.

Favorite Countries: UK, France, Germany, Morrocco, and China.

Least Favorite Country: Italy (only one overpriced restaurant and tiny shops selling the same stuff we can get here. No counter service or dessert place. When DW and I were in Italy we saw thousands of tiny bars and stands selling real Italian pizza, pannini sandwiches, focaccia bread and great desserts. Disney missed a great opportunity to do that here. Also, they could have shops showing Italian leather, Italian fashion, Venetian glass, Italian wine, etc. Instead the shops were small with nothing different from US stores.

MGM:

Great Rides: TOT, RNRC, Millionaire, Muppet 3D, Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Star Tours, Little Mermaid, Fantasmic!!!

Disappointment: Drew Carey's Souns Dangerous (What was this??? It was boring and uninformative. Completely lacking any "WOW" factor).

Animal Kingdom:

Great Rides: Safari, Kali River Rapids (although too short), all the animals to be seen if you take the time to look.

Disappointments: Dinosaur (it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a ride for all ages or a scary adult ride, so it tried to do both. It's too scary for kids and not scary enough for adults), It's Tough to Be a Bug (mildly entertaining but was simply an excuse for the predictable sensory gags).

I'm sure this will spark some controversy but they are just my opinions. I hope I didn't offend anyone whose favorite ride was listed by me as a disappointment.

I welcome other comments on their favorite and least favorite attractions.

Disappointment: Drew Carey's Souns Dangerous (What was this??? It was boring and uninformative. Completely lacking any "WOW" factor).
Same here we tryed it a last year and I was the same way what was that all about. Never like Drew Carey befor and even worse now.

Disappointments: Ellen's Energy Adventure
Time there for a big update or something.

Disappointments: Dinosaur (it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a ride for all ages or a scary adult ride
We did it last year to with the little one she was 5 at the time
and I was like hold on here we go off the tracks ;)
Ride was to wild for me and with all the flashing lights I could not see to much of what was going on.
I race motocross and never got tossed around that much on the track.

Ron.

My bf and I also 30-somethings with no kids take a trip pretty much every year.

I am definitely in agreement with your description of italy. I was also quite disappointed. I have an italian heritage and was so looking forward to that part of world showcase. There was nothing of an interest to me there. They need to update.

However, we loved dinosaur. This is coming from a person who loves the hulk at IOA. I think it is a definite thrill ride...but that is just my opinion

I thought Dinosaur was scary enough. I could hardly catch my breath when I got off the ride and my knees were weak.

What didn't you like about Maelstrom? Was it because it was too short?

I agree with you on the other things you mentioned.

I disagree about Italy. I think the arcatecture and restaurants throughout the pavillion are great, but the entertainment is the best part, including the Masquarade andLiving Statues. It really makes the pavillion come alive. Then again, I also liked Maelstrom and Dinosaur. It depends on the guest.

MK

Love - POC, all the mountains, Peter Pan, HM, Spectro (first time seeing this - great!)

Less than magical - Tiki Birds, Jungle Cruise, fireworks (except for Tinkerbell's Flight) - they just seemed less than spectacular for some reason

MGM

Love - Fantasmic, TOT, Millionaire, B&B, Indiana Jones

Less than magical - Great Movie Ride (DH's fave, it's a yawner to me), Backlot Tour (update this, please)

EPCOT

Love - France, Germany, Mexico (including the cheesy ride) - actually I love all of WS, Illuminations, Spaceship Earth

Less than magical - Living Seas (what is up with this?)

AK

Love - Festival of the Lion King, Dinosaur, Safari

Less than magical - Kali River Rapids (too short and too wet), Conservation Station

Overall, the worst of Disney is still heads over heels above the best of anyone else...and I will not complain about any of it! I enjoy even the disappointing moments because I am lucky to be there at all.

The living statues are great, but they are in France -- not Italy!

Pig pen, I agree, the worst of Disney was still heads above other places. I wasn't complaining, just commenting. I felt some of the attractions were not as good as they could/should have been. But that's just my opinion.

Tar Heel, the living statues were in Italy over the Christmas week. Perhaps at another time they were in France. The had a mime doing balloon tricks and a pair of comedians doing acrobatic tricks with chairs in France.

LHM, I didn't like Maelstrom because I felt kind of cheated. With a great name for a ride and a great theme (Vikings) I was expecting an exciting ride. To me, it was to short and the drop was anti-climactic. I felt like I went over a speed bump.

Meeko, I definitely agree the live entertainment in WS is one of the highlights of Epcot. Over Xmas week there were tons of live performances all over Epcot. It was great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!