Some disturbing Disney pricing info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people like Disney and some people hate it. Neither one is wrong. I don't necessarily think it's bad planning or mindset. It's just not for everyone.
Exactly correct. Disney is not for everyone. But, why do those who determine it's "not for them" go back? Or those who have determined it's no longer enjoyable go back, even if they once loved it. Yes, much of the time you know you need to try it once to know for sure. But once you know, know you hate the heat, crowds, planning, not planning, prices, whatever, why do it again? That's what I'm talking about. These are the ones I think are just glutton for punishment or simply enjoy complaining for the sake of complaining. Because I know if I was as miserable as some make it sound, or disliked a company as much as some sound like they do, I sure wouldn't be spending thousands of dollars to go back or do business with that company

Though I agree with you, that's not what I'm doing here. Just stating observation and opinion. There are those that will defend anything Disney does, but to try and use that as the basis for your argument is just saying "Ok, I give up. This person is just wrong because they don't share my feelings."
And in the case of the post you quoted, I wasn't referring to you or your comments. Not at all.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. My only point is, there's nothing wrong with being in the middle. I love Disney and will continue to go as long as I can. At the same time, I see nothing wrong with having an open, civilized discussion about some of the things that I don't love about them. Is it going to change the way things are done? Of course not. But what harm is there in talking about it? If people start posting rude comments one way or the other, I just pass over them. No big deal.:)
Actually, I do think there is harm to dwell on things you can't change. I hold the belief that anytime you focus on negative things, it bleeds over and can color judgment. Can actually put a black cloud over what is otherwise positive. When things are outside of your control I channel my inner Elsa and let it go. Because, what good does it do? Aside from making you unhappy (figurative you, not you directly)

I can focus on the things I can change, things I'm in control of, which is how to still have fun despite the heat, crowds and prices. When it's no longer fun, it's time to break up.

I live 200 miles away from disneyland.
for a one day visit (which would be a saturday due to work and school) it would cost around 1000 dollars. 501 dollars for 3 "regular" price one day park hopper tickets,450 dollars for 2 nights at a good neighbor hotel within walking distance of the park.sure I could do a real one day trip and leave at 2am drive down spend all day in the park then drive home but really who would want to do this?
with all that said,our trip this may to disney world cost 1900 dollars for 7 nights at POP and 5 day non hopper tickets,airfare not included.to me disneyworld is a better value even given my close proximity to disneyland.

I live 200 miles away from disneyland.
for a one day visit (which would be a saturday due to work and school) it would cost around 1000 dollars. 501 dollars for 3 "regular" price one day park hopper tickets,450 dollars for 2 nights at a good neighbor hotel within walking distance of the park.sure I could do a real one day trip and leave at 2am drive down spend all day in the park then drive home but really who would want to do this?
with all that said,our trip this may to disney world cost 1900 dollars for 7 nights at POP and 5 day non hopper tickets,airfare not included.to me disneyworld is a better value even given my close proximity to disneyland.
Buying a one day park hopper is never going to be a good idea. I'm considering a 4 night trip to DL the cost for me and my son would be around 1700 to stay at paradise pier with a 4 day park hopper. WDW I need at least 7 days. We have WDW annual passes, but it would still cost me 2800 to stay at the BW for 7 nights. If I needed WDW tickets it would be considerable more. I'm not really sure what's the better value in this case.

I never think it's fair to compare a one day trip to a seven day trip. The longer trip will almost always be a better value. Same hold true for cruises the longer the cruise the lower cost per day.

I am in no way defending what Disney does. I'm indifferent to what Disney does because to keep it doesn't matter. They are a corporate business with their own interests who raises prices on a luxury item. I make the choice to spend my money on Disney while some people will buy a yacht. I think the price of a yacht is disgusting but some people like boats.

The difference is I didn't buy a yacht and say well the price of that yacht is disgusting the people who made that yacht are crazy and then continue to buy a second yacht.
Going to assume the PP is much more emotionally invested in Disney than you would be about a yacht you have no interest in owning (I assume since you are spending time on a Disney board and not a yacht board).

I really don’t understand why people are shamed for venting on a discussion board. Venting is healthy & can lead to acceptance of what one cannot control. Just keep scrolling.

ETA & it’s the same posters over & over again jumping from thread to thread to complain about people complaining. The Internet is going to kill discourse.

Last edited:
I get the whole "choice" argument and everything increases in price, etc.
But ..... the fact still remains..... what was affordable, even as little as 5-10 years ago for our family, is NO LONGER AFFORDABLE because of the ridiculous price increases.

I don't agree. Affordable is such a subjective thing.

Here are a few facts. Attendance has increased every year for the the last 8 years. Profits are also up. There are constant comments on this site wondering what is going on in the parks because they can't get a room as the resorts are full. Complaints about staff, food quality, prices and yet more and more are going every year. Why do they raise the prices every year? Because they can and it doesn't seem to affect the profit base. Just wait for Star Wars, Tron, the new hotel and all the other planned attractions to open. You will see a boom to WDW like never before. Are the prices going to hike again, you better believe it.

Going to assume the PP is much more emotionally invested in Disney than you would be about a yacht you have no interest in owning (I assume since you are spending time on a Disney board and not a yacht board).

I really don’t understand why people are shamed for venting on a discussion board. Venting is healthy & can lead to acceptance of what one cannot control. Just keep scrolling.

ETA & it’s the same posters over & over again jumping from thread to thread to complain about people complaining. The Internet is going to kill discourse.

I agree that posting boards are a good place to vent frustrations, no issue there, also agree that if you don't want to feel the frustration then keep scrolling. My issue is when people vent, then tell you they still booked a trip, complain about what it costs and then when you say "well I still feel that it's worth it" tell you how wrong you are and it is not a good value, and is overpriced, etc. Vent, but stop there, don't go on to be critical of other's actions or opinions.

And what did you contribute to the discussion other than bashing people who are in a discussion and not complaining.

I also don't see why people don't understand comparing a luxury item to a luxury item to create context.

A reminder: all opinions are welcome here as long as they conform with our guidelines for posting. You can disagree with the content of someone’s post, but telling another poster what they should or shouldn’t post is pointless and counterproductive, and unless you’re a webmaster or moderator, it isn’t your call.

So let’s get back to discussing Disney’s pricing, instead of the quality of each other’s posts.

And what did you contribute to the discussion other than bashing people who are in a discussion and not complaining.

I also don't see why people don't understand comparing a luxury item to a luxury item to create context.
But honestly, who cares? If they want to complain about it, let them. If it doesn’t impact myself or others, live and let live. No need to get defensive, as I didn’t reference you personally....
The end/edit was a general comment.

ETA. Emotion plays into it for most, so your analogy falls flat. & I’m sorry, but a WDW vacation is nowhere near yacht territory for most on this thread.

Last edited:
Being flexible is in no way the same as not caring.
Actually in this context they mean the same thing. Being flexible about something means someone hasn't put an attachment to something specific. i.e. not caring. I care about where and when I stay so I am not flexible.

But honestly, who cares? If they want to complain about it, let them. If it doesn’t impact myself or others, live and let live. No need to get defensive, as I didn’t reference you personally....
The end/edit was a general comment.

ETA. Emotion plays into it for most, so your analogy falls flat. & I’m sorry, but a WDW vacation is nowhere near yacht territory for most on this thread.
For some people a yacht would have the same emotional attachment. Just because for most people on this thread it isn't the same doesn't mean there aren't people out there who do.

I feel you're just trying to discredit valid points

Things cost more, it's a fact of life. Some things,shelter, food, water, clothes you have to deal with and pay the price because well you need them to live. Beyond those things it becomes all about choice. You choose what you will spend your money on. I mean in 1984 I bought a new truck and gladly paid $8400 for it, same truck today cost around $35K and I would not touch it with a ten foot pole! In 1977 through 1981 I paid about $250 a semester for 12-15 hours of college at a state school in Texas that included parking, a yearbook, and tickets to football games. Same bill today $8K plus! So the point is everything costs more! Now I cannot sit around and reason about why it costs more, I mean I do not work for the individual companies that produce goods and services so I can evaluate their cost structures, profit requirements and overall business models. What I can do is decide whether the goods and services being offered are something I as a consumer am willing to pay for. Then I either pay the price or don't.

We as Americans have been lead to believe over the course of our lives that we deserve certain things, it's part of our birthright that we should have what we want. Ad's push the idea everyday that we deserve a new better phone, or a vacation to fun and exotic places. Regardless of our financial condition and whether we can afford it or not, we deserve it!

So as I have said in other threads on the topic, my wife and I still find value in a WDW vacation. We spend what we can afford and enjoy ourselves greatly. We do other vacations as well and have a farm 2 hours from home that we enjoy spending time at. We do not sacrifice for WDW vacations, we budget for them. So until one day when we are to old, or to tired, or to financially limited to go to WDW we will continue to go. At that time we decide for whatever reason to stop then we will. But it is our decision just as it is every other single persons decision as to how they will spend their money. Getting upset about what it costs is fair, but at this point in my life I know there are many things I will never do or never own because they cost too much. Fortunately at this time Disney is not in that category.
I do not believe we as Americans believe we are entitled to luxury items. I believe most American think if the work hard they can achieve anything. Most Americans do work hard...I know I do. I just don’t get the whole entitlement argument. I have a completely different definition of entitlement.

The problem is the number of people in the US that move for economic reasons is way down. Not sure why that is? We are desperate for workers here. They keep raising wages to attract more people. Not sure how wide the spread has to get before more people start moving. It is a real problem here.
I wasn't sure I wanted to crawl through this thread but I'm so glad I did for this little nugget of gold observation.

Back in school my minor and then my MA were in economics and this subject came up. Our labor markets are not as liquid as in other countries and even compared to previous generations.

I gave two reasons. Home ownership is way up but home values are unstable. And lifespans are way up. For tha last one, think about deciding on a new job out of state then you got figure out who's going to keep an eye on Dad.

Not entirely Germain to the subject at hand but it's a wonky fun thing to ponder just 5he same.

For some people a yacht would have the same emotional attachment. Just because for most people on this thread it isn't the same doesn't mean there aren't people out there who do.

I feel you're just trying to discredit valid points
I’m not. I simply don’t see the big deal.

My DH loves the Toronto Maple Leafs. I have never seen a team burn through more good players. Haven’t won the cup since 1967. Tickets are mindblowingly expensive. Merch too. My DH crabs & moans about pricing & this & that. Worst trade ever. & on and on.

But they’re his team. & he’ll continue to pay, because he’s emotionally invested. I rib him about it, but I certainly don’t chastise him for continuing his support. It’s a gut thing more than a head thing.

Won’t find many that feel that way about a yacht purchase, which is why your analogy doesn’t work.....

I’m not. I simply don’t see the big deal.

My DH loves the Toronto Maple Leafs. I have never seen a team burn through more good players. Haven’t won the cup since 1967. Tickets are mindblowingly expensive. Merch too. My DH crabs & moans about pricing & this & that. Worst trade ever. & on and on.

But they’re his team. & he’ll continue to pay, because he’s emotionally invested. I rib him about it, but I certainly don’t chastise him for continuing his support. It’s a gut thing more than a head thing.

Won’t find many that feel that way about a yacht purchase, which is why your analogy doesn’t work.....
Just because you don't feel that way and don't know people who feel that way doesn't mean it doesn't work. You are splitting hairs and looking for things to pick at because you want to pick on the people who have a different opinion than yours.

ETA: There are entire YACHT clubs for people who do feel that way about yachts and yachting

Just because you don't feel that way and don't know people who feel that way doesn't mean it doesn't work. You are splitting hairs and looking for things to pick at because you want to pick on the people who have a different opinion than yours.

ETA: There are entire YACHT clubs for people who do feel that way about yachts and yachting
Sure. Your analogy as originally stated was still not valid though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter