Solo with wheelchair queus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I just wanted to post this in case anyone else wondered, as I did. Yesterday, approaching the Pooh ride, I was told I'd have to transfer from my ECV to a wheelchair and be pushed through the line. When I told the CM I was solo, but could use the wheelchair as a walker and get through, he called over another CM and asked her to push me through the line. I guess using a wheelchair as a walker doesn't work for them. So not only did she push me to the ride, but she waited until I got off and brought me back to my ECV. This was encouraging to me, since I know Pirates is the same (only wheelchairs in the line) but I may get to do that on my next solo trip. Wanted to post this in case anyone else wondered.

The few times I needed a wheelchair and was alone someone at space would push me. So if you are alone then yes the CM will help you out you may have to wait for another CM

From the CM I have talked to( and that had been s few ) it is not pixie dust if you are alone and have to transfer to a wheelchair and can not push your self. They will not do it at rides you can bring your ECV in but I know space for sure will do this ( but you have to be alone if you have anyone with you they will not.

There were two of us in our group, both using ECV's. My companion's scooter broke down, and the rental company wasn't answering their phone. We borrowed a Magic Kingdom manual wheelchair, but with my broken foot I couldn't push, and with her spinal injury, her arms weren't strong enough to self-propel. We asked several CM's, including at Guest Services, if there was anyone who could push her, if not to the bus stop, then at least to where a taxi could pick us up. Every CM we spoke to said that they were absolutely forbidden from pushing a guest in a wheelchair, because of liability issues.

If something's a liability risk one year, it's not going to not be one the next. Since I find it hard to believe that WDW's policies have changed that much, I believe that sometimes individual CM's take it upon themselves to bend the rules when they feel it's warranted. While I might go in hoping for assistance, I would not go in counting on it.

(Another trip, a Haunted Mansion CM said he wasn't even allowed to take my hand or touch my arm and lead me out of the stretching room even though the effect of the lighting had left me blinded in the dark. Another guest heard me and took pity.)

I think it is just in the ride lines they can push someone in a wheelchair that does not have someone with them ( space is one I know for sure will push you) and it really does not surprise me at all with all the up and down hills, if you were not strong enought you could slip and then really hurt someone or your self.). I have heard they are not allowed to push you outside the lines at all, so them saying no to you outside the line does not surprise me in the lest bit.

(Another trip, a Haunted Mansion CM said he wasn't even allowed to take my hand or touch my arm and lead me out of the stretching room even though the effect of the lighting had left me blinded in the dark. Another guest heard me and took pity.)

This reminds me of another issue I noted regarding taking my arm. I had several times (including getting out of the Jungle Cruise boat) where the CM held out their hand to help me. I’d heard of the liability issue and didn’t expect it.

This reminds me of another issue I noted regarding taking my arm. I had several times (including getting out of the Jungle Cruise boat) where the CM held out their hand to help me. I’d heard of the liability issue and didn’t expect it.

Several years ago my nephew fell getting out of the doom buggy in the Haunted Mansion and the CMs did nothing to help when I was struggling to help him get up. Another guest yelled at them to stop the ride and he helped me assist my nephew. It turned out that he actually had a back injury and ended up needing physical therapy for months. I was told CMs could not assist due to liability but I always felt they could at least have called for someone else who could have helped us to leave the park. When we did get back to WL they immediately provided ice packs and offered transpor to a medical facility.

From the CM I have talked to( and that had been s few ) it is not pixie dust if you are alone and have to transfer to a wheelchair and can not push your self. They will not do it at rides you can bring your ECV in but I know space for sure will do this ( but you have to be alone if you have anyone with you they will not.
I can confirm that it is NOT policy for CMs to push wheelchairs in queues.

This is the policy:
What our Cast can do for any Guest who asks is offer their arm for stability getting in or out of an attraction vehicle, maneuver a Guest's wheelchair a short distance to/from the load/unload area to a ride vehicle, and assist in maneuvering a wheelchair up or down an incline leading to our leaving the load/unload area.

This is the policy:
What our Cast can do for any Guest who asks is offer their arm for stability getting in or out of an attraction vehicle, maneuver a Guest's wheelchair a short distance to/from the load/unload area to a ride vehicle, and assist in maneuvering a wheelchair up or down an incline leading to our leaving the load/unload area.
These are some examples of maneuvering a wheelchair a short distance to/from the load load area to a ride vehicle:

- Attractions like Winnie the Pooh where the Companion to the guest in the wheelchair gets in first

- Attractions like Buzz Lightyear, Imagination, Mermaid at AK, Jungle Cruise, Nemo where getting the wheelchair into and out of the ride car involves a ramp. For those, it’s a requirement for the CM to push the wheelchair in and out.
The CM can also push the wheelchair onto the Small World and Mexico boats if asked.

- Soarin’ and Haunted Mansion where the CM will move the wheelchair after the guest has transferred to the ride car.

This is the policy:
Well I guess we will just agree to disagree with this because I know this is something they do at space. One time a CM pushed me in the line ( he was a a cordnater then ones with the peanut butter costume) he got a call on the ready for something and said I am doing a code ( insert numbers her) I asked him what the codes were one the first one was the people mover was down and they might have to e vac. The second one was that he was pushing a guest in a wheelchair

A few months latter I was walking in front of another guest in a wheelchair pushed by a different CM when I heard him say on the radio I am doing a code ( inset same numbers her) I turned around and said looks like you will be doing this agin soon.

The resign why I was told they do this at space is because it is dark and very hilly and there were guest that could not get up and down the hills and hurt other guest Not sure about other rides

I was told if there was anyone else in the party they would not help push the guest at all that you have to be alone

My information is from Disability Services management, so a decision/policy maker, not a worker bee.

That is not to say that individual CMs might not push a wheelchair for a guest, but it is definitely pixie dust, not a job duty, usual operating procedure or something guests can expect to happen.

it has been a few years but I remember the CMs had someone push me in a wheelchair at Soarn instead of my young grandsons 8 and 9 at the time. when someone in line had to grab chair as it started to roll over the boys and other guests a CM was right there and pushed me rest of the way. my not be normal way but was how it was handled that time

it has been a few years but I remember the CMs had someone push me in a wheelchair at Soarn instead of my young grandsons 8 and 9 at the time. when someone in line had to grab chair as it started to roll over the boys and other guests a CM was right there and pushed me rest of the way. my not be normal way but was how it was handled that time
I think the police for most of Disney world is not too but I think a few rides that the lines are dark and hilly and just unsafe I think they have a few CM that is available to help push, I know for me the few ( maybe 3 or 4 times) there was always a different CM that helped me and the CM at the FP entrance each time asked. the one time I had a wheelchair ( I was not able to stand that long so I was pushing it) almost insisted she let someone push me, ( like after the 3 times of her asking me I looked at her and said not that you have hit you ask the guest 3 times can I go,

Again, the official policy is what I posted.
That has always the official policy as long as I know (since at least 1999).

There may be CMs that offer to push a wheelchair for a guest, but it is pixie dust, not policy for any attraction.

That is in compliance with the ADA - an accessible path is required, but the guest is responsible for using that path.

I’m going to close this thread because the official policy has been verified and posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter