Solo trip worries

mikeishere

Mouseketeer
If I’m going to book this WDW 14 day trip I have a view queries I hope you can help with me with pretty please :)

. How do you deal with loneliness for a 14 day trip. I know theirs lots of entertainment and stuff to do in WDW but how do you cope with things like waiting in line on your own or not sharing an experience after coming off an epic ride with family or friends. I’m a quite awkward person and nervous anyway so don’t speak with people so easily so worry that even though so much to see and do in WDW how will I cope being lonely for 14 days ? I was thinking maybe writing trip reports? I don’t fancy doing video blogs and having a camera in my face and talking to camera all trip . Tried to watch these YouTube videos of people going solo but they don’t help as they are taking into their video camera all the trip and not paying attention to anyone around them on their solo trip but don’t wanna do that.

. Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own?

. Being in 30s and around hotel pool area/ being in swimming pool or water park where lots of children and families around without parents thinking your (how can I put this) thinking your a evil adult if you get what I mean ?

. I’ll be coming from the UK so most probably getting a coach / shared public transport to disney from airport so how do you try and not stand out like a sore thumb when everyone else with their friends or family and your by yourself boarding a coach on your own and sitting on your own and it being so noticeable I’m solo?

. What if someone speaks to me on the plane and asks why I’m on my own especially going to Florida where most people go with friends and family, should I tell people a little white lie and say I’m like a YouTube blogger or write trip reports and ride reviews for Disney ?

. This is probably a big one - WDW is such a big vacation destination for UK families and I worry I’m going to by chance bump into someone I once knew from high school etc and them thinking what a looser I’ve bevome in life by going on vacation to WDW on my own because knowone else would come with me.

Any help is most appreciated :)

Last edited:
Having just been on a solo trip myself...only for 4 nights though..I just didnt think about it. I stopped to smell the roses, utilized the single rider line where I could, consumed my fair share of beverages and way too much food. On occasion I would strike up conversations in bars or even on rides..everyone seems so much more friendly when on vacation. Never went to the pool but if I had 14 days I would have definitely done this. Swim and then read a book put on earbuds go over to the pool bar..honestly you so whatever your heart desires...it is liberating. As for restaurants I had 3 different meals..all went fine. I ate and left. Used my phone to check for fast passes. In the California Grill I struck up conversations with the couples around me.
Talk to the cast members..ask about where they are from because their name tags all say it.
Sleep in late...honestly with 14 days if you are so inclined go on a tour to the Kennedy Space Center if that interests you...there are tours that will pick you up at the resort
Just dont worry about what others think. It is your vacation. Enjoy!

Most people are wrapped up in their own world with their family or other traveling party, and are unlikely even to notice you, much less to speculate on why you're alone. If you behave in a respectable manner (including at water parks and pools), no one will have a reason to think you're evil. Mind your own business in the pool and don't approach children. In the unlikely event that you run into someone from back home, they will probably think you're a winner that you were able to afford a trip and had the courage to go on your own. I've done lots of solo trips, and I don't recall anyone on the plane ever asking why I'm on my own. A lot of people on the plane don't talk much at all. But if someone did ask, I'd say that my friends couldn't make it but I still wanted to go. Most of the worries you mentioned are just in your own mind; the strangers around you really don't care and are not focused on you. They have their own things to think about.

I've been on a number of solo trips, dare I say I might enjoy them a tad more than when my son is with me.

So. for your questions. Dealing with lonliness. I don't get lonely. I love spending time with myself and just about the only time I get to be alone is if I'm travelling by myself so I love every second of it.

Dining solo. I do it at home when my honey is out of town so I'm used to it. At home I take my kindle with me, at WDW, I have the kindle app loaded on my phone and I read while I eat. I always wait until after the server has taken my order and until my food has arrived. It just seems rude to be staring at the phone before that. I love to people watch and restaurants are a great place to do that. Try going out by yourself at home first. Also, a lot of TS restaurants have a bar or lounge that serve food, sometimes it's more comfortable to sit there and eat then at the actual restaurant.

Pool area - if you are staying at a moderate or deluxe resort, they will have quiet pools which tend to cater to adults. I'm comfortable going to the main pool but I tend to spend most of my time either in the hot tub with a refreshing adult beverage or in one of the chairs in the shade. I get up and get in the pool to cool off.

Sitting by yourself in public transportation. No one will notice or care.

Flying by yourself. You can talk to your seat mate or not. I don't think I've ever had anyone on a plane say more than hi to me. I usually have something to read with me and people tend to leave you alone.

Running into someone you know. It's a big place and while it's not out of the question you might run into someone, so what. It's really none of their business and most people when on vacation are more interested in their own enjoyment to worry about someone else.

A lot of people go to WDW solo, relax, sleep in, literally stop and smell the roses. Take in the sights and sounds of the place and take it slow and enjoy youself.

My husband and I went with our two children to Disney World and we often split up. One night, my husband traveled solo to MK and rode the rides, ate alone, watched the fireworks alone. It was a highlight of the trip for him. Throughout the whole trip, there wasn't a time that I thought someone looked ridiculous or sad to be alone. Think of it this way: I saw lots and lots of parents with crying kids or overheated, crabby, whiny kids. I bet they would look at you with envy, not pity.

You'll be just fine. Not a soul is going to notice that you're alone. I've only done it once and it was the best trip I've ever had! People in line will strike up conversations with you and you won't be stuck in your own head for 14 days. You'll be surprised at how often you have a chance to chit chat and no need to lie about why you're alone. People these days are so into themselves that they won't pay any attention. Just tell them that you're on a getaway to your happy place with no one to drag you down. Eating is the only slightly awkward part but that's when you people watch and realize just how caught up in their own drama people really are when they are there with their families. I noticed far more couples snapping at each other and people being totally irritated with each other than anything else while I had the time to observe. I loved not having all of the idle chatter of things like, "okay do you want to go and ride pirates and then grab lunch or are you hungry now....?" blah blah blah! There is nothing but constant babble when you're with others that you will be so glad to be rid of! It's a peace I can't explain. You'll sit when you want to sit without asking for permission, and when you're ready to move you move and there is no one there to bug you. You're going to get spoiled! I'm envious for sure!

You'll be just fine. Not a soul is going to notice that you're alone. I've only done it once and it was the best trip I've ever had! People in line will strike up conversations with you and you won't be stuck in your own head for 14 days. You'll be surprised at how often you have a chance to chit chat and no need to lie about why you're alone. People these days are so into themselves that they won't pay any attention. Just tell them that you're on a getaway to your happy place with no one to drag you down. Eating is the only slightly awkward part but that's when you people watch and realize just how caught up in their own drama people really are when they are there with their families. I noticed far more couples snapping at each other and people being totally irritated with each other than anything else while I had the time to observe. I loved not having all of the idle chatter of things like, "okay do you want to go and ride pirates and then grab lunch or are you hungry now....?" blah blah blah! There is nothing but constant babble when you're with others that you will be so glad to be rid of! It's a peace I can't explain. You'll sit when you want to sit without asking for permission, and when you're ready to move you move and there is no one there to bug you. You're going to get spoiled! I'm envious for sure!

Awwww thanks for your lovely post :) Yes I like the idea of doing my own thing

I've been traveling solo to WDW for years. Maybe I can offer some perspective.
. How do you deal with loneliness for a 14 day trip. I know theirs lots of entertainment and stuff to do in WDW but how do you cope with things like waiting in line on your own or not sharing an experience after coming off an epic ride with family or friends. I’m a quite awkward person and nervous anyway so don’t speak with people so easily so worry that even though so much to see and do in WDW how will I cope being lonely for 14 days ? I was thinking maybe writing trip reports? I don’t fancy doing video blogs and having a camera in my face and talking to camera all trip . Tried to watch these YouTube videos of people going solo but they don’t help as they are taking into their video camera all the trip and not paying attention to anyone around them on their solo trip but don’t wanna do that.
Can't help you with the loneliness - I don't get lonely on any of my solo trips. If you feel awkward I don't think there is much you can do. Writing a trip report is a great idea.

. Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own?
No one cares but you. No one will notice. When couple are eating in a restaurant they are focusing on the food and each other. Families will not notice because they are into their own family - they don't have the time us solo travelers have to observe other people. What you WILL notice are other solo diners.

. Being in 30s and around hotel pool area/ being in swimming pool or water park where lots of children and families around without parents thinking your (how can I put this) thinking your a evil adult if you get what I mean ?
Don't act creepy. Don't stare at kids. Parents won't notice you unless you do something to draw attention to yourself.

. I’ll be coming from the UK so most probably getting a coach / shared public transport to disney from airport so how do you try and not stand out like a sore thumb when everyone else with their friends or family and your by yourself boarding a coach on your own and sitting on your own and it being so noticeable I’m solo?
Same answer. I take Magical Express on every trip. I'm almost always the only solo traveler on it. No one pays me any mind.

. What if someone speaks to me on the plane and asks why I’m on my own especially going to Florida where most people go with friends and family, should I tell people a little white lie and say I’m like a YouTube blogger or write trip reports and ride reviews for Disney ?
If someone asks, tell them you love traveling solo. Or tell them this is your first solo trip and are excited and a bit nervous. Tell them the reason why you are going solo is because you're interested in new adventures. But if you feel more comfortable telling a little white lie, then do it. What if that person asks for your YouTube channel so they can check out your trip reports and ride reviews...

. This is probably a big one - WDW is such a big vacation destination for UK families and I worry I’m going to by chance bump into someone I once knew from high school etc and them thinking what a looser I’ve bevome in life by going on vacation to WDW on my own because knowone else would come with me.
If you were with your friends and you bumped into someone you once knew from high school, etc. would you think they were a loser?

Is the reason you are going solo because no one else would go with you? Are you a loser? Would this potential person have a reason to think those things?

In all seriousness; get out of your head. Stop thinking about what other people are thinking. I was like you and I didn't travel solo until I was in my early 40's. Something I regret. I missed out on so much because I was waiting for a traveling companion to have the same time off as me. Now I just go when the wanderlust hits me.

I've been traveling solo to WDW for years. Maybe I can offer some perspective.

Can't help you with the loneliness - I don't get lonely on any of my solo trips. If you feel awkward I don't think there is much you can do. Writing a trip report is a great idea.

No one cares but you. No one will notice. When couple are eating in a restaurant they are focusing on the food and each other. Families will not notice because they are into their own family - they don't have the time us solo travelers have to observe other people. What you WILL notice are other solo diners.

Don't act creepy. Don't stare at kids. Parents won't notice you unless you do something to draw attention to yourself.

Same answer. I take Magical Express on every trip. I'm almost always the only solo traveler on it. No one pays me any mind.

If someone asks, tell them you love traveling solo. Or tell them this is your first solo trip and are excited and a bit nervous. Tell them the reason why you are going solo is because you're interested in new adventures. But if you feel more comfortable telling a little white lie, then do it. What if that person asks for your YouTube channel so they can check out your trip reports and ride reviews...

If you were with your friends and you bumped into someone you once knew from high school, etc. would you think they were a loser?

Is the reason you are going solo because no one else would go with you? Are you a loser? Would this potential person have a reason to think those things?

In all seriousness; get out of your head. Stop thinking about what other people are thinking. I was like you and I didn't travel solo until I was in my early 40's. Something I regret. I missed out on so much because I was waiting for a traveling companion to have the same time off as me. Now I just go when the wanderlust hits me.

Thankyou for your help great answers much appreciated :)

I have been going solo for about 10 years now. My next trip is coming up in a few weeks. I usually stay between 10 and 14 days. I love it! I am an avid reader and have the NOOK app on my phone. I read in lines and in restaurants. I also read by the pool. I have never felt awkward or had anyone pay attention to me that I have noticed. A few times people sitting by me would strike up a conversation and when they found out that I was solo, every single person said how wonderful that must be. My solo trips are definitely more slower paced. I don't usually ride as many rides but I do spend more time taking in all of the small details around the parks. Animal Kingdom has so many hidden little details around the whole park that many miss. Go and enjoy your time. I don't know what resort you are staying at, but many have lounges with live music at night.

I have been going solo for about 10 years now. My next trip is coming up in a few weeks. I usually stay between 10 and 14 days. I love it! I am an avid reader and have the NOOK app on my phone. I read in lines and in restaurants. I also read by the pool. I have never felt awkward or had anyone pay attention to me that I have noticed. A few times people sitting by me would strike up a conversation and when they found out that I was solo, every single person said how wonderful that must be. My solo trips are definitely more slower paced. I don't usually ride as many rides but I do spend more time taking in all of the small details around the parks. Animal Kingdom has so many hidden little details around the whole park that many miss. Go and enjoy your time. I don't know what resort you are staying at, but many have lounges with live music at night.

Thinking staying at pop century or all-stars all can afford.

Can you do everything in 2 weeks while still taking a slower pace while at WDW including none theme park things like Boardwalk and also do Universal studios resort for a couple of days? What’s possible in slow pace .

Thinking staying at pop century or all-stars all can afford.

Can you do everything in 2 weeks while still taking a slower pace while at WDW including none theme park things like Boardwalk and also do Universal studios resort for a couple of days? What’s possible in slow pace .

I guess it depends on what "everything" is to you. I think it is more then possible to do all of the rides and shows that you want to do. I have been going for a couple of decades and so the rides are not really that important to me now. I just really enjoy being there and relaxing. Come up with a plan with the important things for you. I am sure that you can get the majority of what you want done.

I hear you. I'm travelling solo for the first time myself next month, and I've been asking myself some of the same questions.
I've still got some concerns, but for the most part, I can offer help with yours :goodvibes

If I’m going to book this WDW 14 day trip I have a view queries I hope you can help with me with pretty please :)
. How do you deal with loneliness for a 14 day trip.
I don't think I'll be lonely, but I've always gone with my hubby before. I'm planning on keeping my mind occupied: I'm going to try doing a photo scavenger hunt, taking notes for a (possible) trip report and/or dining reviews, and focusing on how much I can really get done when it's just me, and I can go where I want without a 10 minute discussion :rolleyes:

Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own?
As others said - just sit down, order and enjoy. Most people won't even notice you, and the ones who do might or might not say 'hello'.
I've scheduled a combination of ADR Table Service, QuickService, and even a couple of Lounge locations. I'm looking forward to eating in some new restaurants. I will have a couple of books loaded onto my phone, so I can read if service is dreadfully slow. I can also use that time to edit my quick-notes, and review my upcoming plans.
You might feel more comfortable in the Lounges adjoining the larger restaurants - most of them seem to have some pretty decent menu choices.

Depending on where you stay, if you have the option of using a 'quiet pool', those have fewer kids and more adults in my experiences. As long as you don't stare, or act like you've got something to hide, you ought to be fine. Besides - who cares what other people think ? You know you're not bad-intentioned. It's their problem, not yours.

Again - most likely nobody will notice. They'll probably just assume you're meeting up with others from a different flight later, if they do notice you're a party of 1.

If anybody asks, just say you're meeting friends at Disney. You are, you know -- Mickey, Minnie, Donald....

. This is probably a big one - WDW is such a big vacation destination for UK families and I worry I’m going to by chance bump into someone I once knew from high school etc and them thinking what a loser I’ve become in life by going on vacation to WDW on my own because knowone else would come with me.
They don't need to know you're alone, and remember - YOU ARE NOT A LOSER. You have the gumption, resources, and desire to plan your own vacation, on your terms. Plan it, DO it, and have fun.

I hear you. I'm travelling solo for the first time myself next month, and I've been asking myself some of the same questions.
I've still got some concerns, but for the most part, I can offer help with yours :goodvibes

I don't think I'll be lonely, but I've always gone with my hubby before. I'm planning on keeping my mind occupied: I'm going to try doing a photo scavenger hunt, taking notes for a (possible) trip report and/or dining reviews, and focusing on how much I can really get done when it's just me, and I can go where I want without a 10 minute discussion :rolleyes:

As others said - just sit down, order and enjoy. Most people won't even notice you, and the ones who do might or might not say 'hello'.
I've scheduled a combination of ADR Table Service, QuickService, and even a couple of Lounge locations. I'm looking forward to eating in some new restaurants. I will have a couple of books loaded onto my phone, so I can read if service is dreadfully slow. I can also use that time to edit my quick-notes, and review my upcoming plans.
You might feel more comfortable in the Lounges adjoining the larger restaurants - most of them seem to have some pretty decent menu choices.

Depending on where you stay, if you have the option of using a 'quiet pool', those have fewer kids and more adults in my experiences. As long as you don't stare, or act like you've got something to hide, you ought to be fine. Besides - who cares what other people think ? You know you're not bad-intentioned. It's their problem, not yours.

Again - most likely nobody will notice. They'll probably just assume you're meeting up with others from a different flight later, if they do notice you're a party of 1.

If anybody asks, just say you're meeting friends at Disney. You are, you know -- Mickey, Minnie, Donald....

They don't need to know you're alone, and remember - YOU ARE NOT A LOSER. You have the gumption, resources, and desire to plan your own vacation, on your terms. Plan it, DO it, and have fun.
Thankyou your post of very uplifting and gives me hope

How does everyone cope with those moments like the second you come off a ride and wanna rave and talk about it with your family or friends. You know the way you come off a ride and are like to the person your with ‘wow that was incredible, amazing rollercoaster etc’ I think I’ll miss those moments of having someone to share initial ride reactions etc with.

I did the solo trip last year for the first time, and I can certainly relate to some of your concerns.

I'd be fibbing if I said I did not get a tiny bit lonely at times, BUT having said that, I realized there were ways to get past it rather quickly! I'd agree with others posts about chatting with cast members. I found the folks at the Art of Animation resort to be extremely friendly and quite ready to engage in conversation. (I made it a point to ask questions about the resort, as there is so much art work to see there and I found all that very exciting.)

But perhaps the single biggest thing I did was smile, admittedly not a terribly hard thing to do while on vacation! I was very pleasantly surprised to find out how quickly other folks would share a quick word about their own adventures if they saw me smiling and enjoying myself. If you allow yourself to just get immersed in the moment, wherever you happen to be, it seems to come naturally. Theres bound to be something interesting around every corner, so explore and be open to enjoying every bit of it. (If you enjoying sketching, I would suggest bringing a small sketch pad with you and trying to capture some of those interesting sights in your own sort of personal journal of your adventure.)

Wishing you a grand adventure!

Depending on where you stay, if you have the option of using a 'quiet pool', those have fewer kids and more adults in my experiences.

What resorts have the quiet / adult (sort of) pools in your opinion?

Can you use other resorts pools even if your staying in another WDW hotel ?

Last edited:
What resorts have the quiet / adult (sort of) pools in your opinion?

Can you use other resorts pools even if your staying in another WDW hotel ?

You can only use the pools at the resorts that you are staying(with the exception of sister resorts). Out of the deluxe resorts, I believe that AKL is the only one without a quiet pool. For moderates, POFQ does not have a quiet pool but since it and POR are sister resorts, you can use those.

Mostly the Moderates for quiet pools. As @Lilsia said, French Quarter doesn't have one, just the main themed pool, but Riverside has 5, with the closest to POFQ being near Oak Manor. Those 2 are the only resorts that share pool use (I think). The rest are limited to guests from that specific resort.
The Deluxe resorts have multiple pools, but not really what I'd define as a quiet pool, but the hot tubs are usually adults.
Same with the Values.

How does everyone cope with those moments like the second you come off a ride and wanna rave and talk about it with your family or friends. You know the way you come off a ride and are like to the person your with ‘wow that was incredible, amazing rollercoaster etc’ I think I’ll miss those moments of having someone to share initial ride reactions etc with.
Since you'll be the single, you can always attempt to share it with your fellow riders :)
I've found Disney one of the easiest places to talk to strangers, and in most cases, you'll probably never see them again, so just a 'Hey, wasn't that FUN?' won't come off as intrusive, just don't always expect an answer.
And who knows - maybe your seatmate is a single, too, and you might make a new friend for the vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!