Solo trip worries

Hey, mikeishere, I'm a fellow Brit and a fellow solo traveller and I empathise completely with your worries because I've been through the same thing when I was planning my first solo trip to WDW. So I'm just going to say that the first trip is always the most worrying because things build up in your head and you're not entirely sure what to expect. Coming here is exactly the right thing to do - I wish I'd found these forums when I did my first trip, because people are just ridiculously helpful and supportive.

Forgive the personal question, but how do you normally deal with it?

I know where you're coming from because I'm quite reserved and introverted. I live by myself and although I have a good group of friends, there are times when I am alone and every so often I do get lonely. The way I've found through it is to keep busy and make plans and WDW is absolutely perfect for that - you can use your FPs and dining reservations to plan and structure your days and there is just so much to do and see that I don't really find I have the time to be lonely. I also take a lot of photos and then do a FB post in the evening so I can interact with friends and family (yeah, ok, I'm showing off too ... :rolleyes1). If you fancy doing a trip report then that strikes me as a great way of focusing on what you've enjoyed and connecting with posters here. I know I'd love to read it.

There have been some great suggestions here for dealing with being in queues. My solution is to take a book and just read. It's weird how often that becomes a conversation starter with people and as I finish them, I use the alone time in the hotel room in the evening to put a review up on Goodreads/Amazon, which also keeps me busy.

Again, my solution for this is to read a book but there's free wifi in the park so you can also use the internet if you've got a phone or a tablet.

Like everyone here's said, no one really notices if you're on your own in a restaurant. In fact, the bigger issue is that you may find it difficult to get good service in some of the table restaurants (there have been a few times when I've basically been forgotten about entirely, which led to a chat with the manager).

If you're staying at a resort hotel, then you'll be on MDE and trust me, no one will notice that you're on your own at all. Everyone's so jacked up and excited to be going to WDW that they pay zero attention to who's on the bus.

Again, no one is going to notice at all because they'll be focused on the flight or each other or the in flight entertainment. I sometimes chat with cabin crew on the flight to MCO - they usually have some good tips or suggestions because they do it so often - but you don't have to if you don't want to. If your seat mate does want to have a chat then only tell them what you're comfortable telling them but please don't think you have to tell a white lie - it's a holiday route (as a generalism) so everyone's pretty much on that plane for the same purpose.

There are thousands and thousands and thousands of people in WDW at any one time so the chances of you bumping into someone you know are very small but even if you do bump into them so what? You've organised what's a fairly expensive holiday and been confident enough to do what you want by yourself. That takes guts. Believe me, people are more likely to admire your courage and be a little envious that you get to have a trip where you can do whatever you want without having to negotiate with kids or partners or parents.

Very best of luck to you with your plans and please, please don't feel self-conscious. You will genuinely have a blast once you're out there.

1F

Thanks everyone for your amazing replies, it does make me feel better so thanks.,
I’ve just keep catching up with the last page and a half as I usually get email notifications when people post in threads that I’ve made and I haven’t for weeks so I thought this thread had been given up on. So I’ll have to look into why I’ve stopped getting email notifications.

Everyone has great advice so Thankyou! I didn’t realise how many people travelled solo so I don’t feel so alone. Its surprised me how many people in this thread say they are solo travelers from the uk as for someone reason even though Disney is huge in the UK I’ve always found it had less respect among adults in the uk than it does in the USA and seen as more a family and kids thing in the uk than the USA where I feel it still has a hugely adult fan base but thought the adult Disney fan base was smaller in the uk - but maybe that’s just me.

After all this I’ve been thinking of delaying my solo WDW trip for a year or so ( not because I’m scared or anything, far from it as this thread has made me feel so much better than I ever did about solo trip) and wait till the 50th anniversary of WDW and save a bit more money then say go next year or in a few months. Does anyone know when the 50th anniversary celebrations kick off? I know WDW 50th is on October 2021 but these Disney celebrations usually kick off a few months before the actual official dates and last a good year and a half don’t they?

Even though this thread maybe a little older by the time I go to WDW for the 50th I’m certainly going to bookmark this thread and use it as a guide to my solo trip and will be reading over it before my first trip. :)

Good question 1nfrequent , I don’t really deal with loneliness appart from living alone. Usually do things with a small group of people when go places .

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the 50th anniversary celebrations kick off? I know WDW 50th is on October 2021 but these Disney celebrations usually kick off a few months before the actual official dates and last a good year and a half don’t they?
Yep, they usually do. Disney hasn't officially announced the start date but conventional wisdom suggests May 2020. I'd say at the very latest October 2020 for a full 14 months celebration.

Yep, they usually do. Disney hasn't officially announced the start date but conventional wisdom suggests May 2020. I'd say at the very latest October 2020 for a full 14 months celebration.

You think the celebrations will start in May/October 2020 or that’s when they will likely announce when the celebration dates are?

You think the celebrations will start in May/October 2020 or that’s when they will likely announce when the celebration dates are?
I think the celebrations could start as early as May 2020. Perhaps mid-September or even one year before the actual anniversary.

But that's just speculation. Sometimes Disney likes to do 15 to 18 months of celebrating a big event.

I think the celebrations could start as early as May 2020. Perhaps mid-September or even one year before the actual anniversary.

But that's just speculation. Sometimes Disney likes to do 15 to 18 months of celebrating a big event.

I would of thought if it was may 2020 it would of been announced by now

I would of thought if it was may 2020 it would of been announced by now
You may be right. In that case I'm way off on my speculation. Maybe the official celebration won't start until Oct 2020. I wonder if they'll wait until Jan 2021?

I was solo last month. I wrote a trip report and a dining report. I had the dining plan, so lots of meals alone. Check them out, as I think they might help you. Going solo was a blast, and I chatted with more than one person who secretly wished they were alone. Lol!
Like someone else mentioned, I heard a lot of bickering and whining, but only because I was alone and had time to really pay attention to things. There are some who will try and make you think it’s weird to be alone, but don’t pay attention to those people. They obviously lack self confidence.

mikeishere:
Good question @1nfrequent , I don’t really deal with loneliness appart from living alone. Usually do things with a small group of people when go places .

May be worth taking a look at the Solo Trip Central thread. People can share details of their trip and if there's anyone else out when you are, you could arrange a meet up (even if it's just a quick drink or a dole whip and a chance to compare notes)?

Whenever you choose to go, I know you'll have an amazing time.

Best of luck.

1F

Have you ever experienced this personally?
Yes. I stopped telling people I was going solo because I was tired of the negative commentary. The shuttle driver who took me to the airport said "You're going by yourself? Wow! There's no way I could do that." I explained that I do lots of things by myself all the time and quite enjoy it. She said sarcastically "So you go to restaurants and stuff by yourself, too? There's no way I could do that." When she picked me up five days later she said "Aren't you the one who went to Disney by yourself? There's just no way I could do that." :rolleyes:

It's all personal perception, I think. You and I can hear the same thing and take it differently.

I, too, have had people say things like, "I couldn't do that." But I don't see that as negative. To me, that's a, real, honest response. I've been asked specifics like, "You go to restaurants alone, too?" and "Are you really by yourself?" - I don't see that as sarcastic or trying to make me think it's weird.

I'm sorry you see such negativity in people's responses. I can see how that makes traveling solo uncomfortable for you. I'm glad you don't pay attention to them.

My perception when traveling solo is people are surprised and curious. Many people have never even considered it. Maybe it's attributed to my general, positive attitude, but I don't recall anyone being sarcastic with me about it, or trying to make me feel uncomfortable for my decision.
Going solo was a blast, and I chatted with more than one person who secretly wished they were alone.
This is where you and I are the same. But I see just about everyone as wishing they had the nerve to travel alone.

I apologize for the poor choice of words. You said you stopped telling people you are traveling solo because you were tired of the negative commentary so I took that to mean you were uncomfortable.

Now that you've stopped telling people you are going solo do you find less negativity from others? Do you still get into interesting chats?

Yes. I stopped telling people I was going solo because I was tired of the negative commentary. The shuttle driver who took me to the airport said "You're going by yourself? Wow! There's no way I could do that." I explained that I do lots of things by myself all the time and quite enjoy it. She said sarcastically "So you go to restaurants and stuff by yourself, too? There's no way I could do that." When she picked me up five days later she said "Aren't you the one who went to Disney by yourself? There's just no way I could do that." :rolleyes:

I get that a lot too. Some people just seem so shocked that someone is doing something by themselves. I just want to say to them that I don't need a baby sitter to go with me. Any grown adult should be able to manage to go out to eat or on vacation without someone else there with them. I think that these people are either too scared to do things by themselves or jealous that they can't for what ever reason. Although I don't understand why so many have trouble going out to eat by themselves. Everyone has to eat.

It's all personal perception, I think. You and I can hear the same thing and take it differently.

I, too, have had people say things like, "I couldn't do that." But I don't see that as negative. To me, that's a, real, honest response. I've been asked specifics like, "You go to restaurants alone, too?" and "Are you really by yourself?" - I don't see that as sarcastic or trying to make me think it's weird.

I'm sorry you see such negativity in people's responses. I can see how that makes traveling solo uncomfortable for you. I'm glad you don't pay attention to them.

My perception when traveling solo is people are surprised and curious. Many people have never even considered it. Maybe it's attributed to my general, positive attitude, but I don't recall anyone being sarcastic with me about it, or trying to make me feel uncomfortable for my decision.

This is where you and I are the same. But I see just about everyone as wishing they had the nerve to travel alone.

I am going to be honest, woman get more negative reaction from others much more then men do. For some reason, even in this day and age, it seems to be odd to others that a woman would be travelling on her own. When I talk to people about being solo, they first get a surprised look on their face and then the look of pity, as if I don't have anyone else in my life and am a lonely old maid. This is the usual response from others.

I'm sorry to hear that. I get the surprise but it's too bad that so many people then look at you with pity. Must make traveling solo uncomfortable.

I don't think it's more towards men than women - at least from reading the posts here. It seem just as many men get negative or pitying looks and reactions. I've never seen a look of pity towards me. Maybe I'm less perceptive that others.

I'm sorry to hear that. I get the surprise but it's too bad that so many people then look at you with pity. Must make traveling solo uncomfortable.

I don't think it's more towards men than women - at least from reading the posts here. It seem just as many men get negative or pitying looks and reactions. I've never seen a look of pity towards me. Maybe I'm less perceptive that others.

It doesn't bother me. I feel sorry for those who are unable to enjoy their own company. I always have an amazing time.

I feel like the older crowd are more skeptical about going alone. I'm 25, and when I mention it to my parents, they usually respond with something like "Really... alone?", and you can tell they think it's odd. This doesn't only apply to Disney either, going skiing alone-why?? eating alone- that's weird?? I don't really understand it, I eat alone at local restaurants all the time. I never even realized there was a stigma/hidden fears about it until I started reading things on the internet. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy company, sometimes no one is available.

Meanwhile, I have plenty of friends my age who travel alone to far away places all the time. When I tell them about my trip, they always respond with positively and are super jealous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!