Solo trip worries

Flying by yourself. You can talk to your seat mate or not. I don't think I've ever had anyone on a plane say more than hi to me. I usually have something to read with me and people tend to leave you alone.

I know you have had a lot of great responses-do not think twice about this. I am from NYC, but now live right near Disney. I fly often to and from NYC by myself. I like people well enough but on a plane I want to be left alone. I pull out my kindle and put on noise canceling earphones. And I could care less what people think.

Wanted to add I am often the single rider of my party since I care the least. Since I live near Disney I often take my 11 year old and her friends-if they are an even number I am off woman out. If we are with my boyfriend my daughter and bf often sit together since she doesn't see him that much and likes experiencing the ride with him. I often get very chatty single riders next to me and it's usually kind of fun. For some reason on Everest I often get tweens and they tend to talk a lot. You are going to have a blast.

My last 7 WDW trips have been solo. Number 8 starts September 19. So just a couple weeks away.

Especially in the phone obsessed world that we live in today, no one at WDW is going to be judging you because they will be doing their stuff to notice.

Since you have 14 days, make a list of stuff you want to do while you’re there. That’s the great thing about going solo, you are in control of what you do. I don’t like the resort pools but I love a lazy river so I try to hit the water parks for a couple hours when I can.

You can always talk Disney with people when you’re are there. I even braved Biergarten solo and had a wonderful time with my immediate table mates both times.

Relax, don’t over think it.

As far as dining alone or being alone on the bus and people staring, I'm reminded of something Dr Phil says. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but it's something like "If you knew how little people thought about you...", in other words, people really aren't noticing. The first time I went to a character meal solo, I was so worried beforehand "What will people THINK?" But after I'd been there a little while I realized that unless I bore a striking resemblance to one of the characters, no one was going to notice me.
I go solo at least once a year (about 90% of my trips are solo), and I love that I can do what I want, when I want.

If I’m going to book this WDW 14 day trip I have a view queries I hope you can help with me with pretty please :)

. How do you deal with loneliness for a 14 day trip. I know theirs lots of entertainment and stuff to do in WDW but how do you cope with things like waiting in line on your own or not sharing an experience after coming off an epic ride with family or friends. I’m a quite awkward person and nervous anyway so don’t speak with people so easily so worry that even though so much to see and do in WDW how will I cope being lonely for 14 days ? I was thinking maybe writing trip reports? I don’t fancy doing video blogs and having a camera in my face and talking to camera all trip . Tried to watch these YouTube videos of people going solo but they don’t help as they are taking into their video camera all the trip and not paying attention to anyone around them on their solo trip but don’t wanna do that.

. Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own?

. Being in 30s and around hotel pool area/ being in swimming pool or water park where lots of children and families around without parents thinking your (how can I put this) thinking your a evil adult if you get what I mean ?

. I’ll be coming from the UK so most probably getting a coach / shared public transport to disney from airport so how do you try and not stand out like a sore thumb when everyone else with their friends or family and your by yourself boarding a coach on your own and sitting on your own and it being so noticeable I’m solo?

. What if someone speaks to me on the plane and asks why I’m on my own especially going to Florida where most people go with friends and family, should I tell people a little white lie and say I’m like a YouTube blogger or write trip reports and ride reviews for Disney ?

. This is probably a big one - WDW is such a big vacation destination for UK families and I worry I’m going to by chance bump into someone I once knew from high school etc and them thinking what a looser I’ve bevome in life by going on vacation to WDW on my own because knowone else would come with me.

Any help is most appreciated :)

Here are my thoughts!

-Loneliness: I'm usually just so excited and happy to be at Disney that I don't tend to feel lonely, especially surrounded by so many people and families and running around to get on rides and exploring the parks. I people watch in line, sometimes talk to the people next to me -- I met one of the designers of Test Track doing this!! I'll share any highlights on Facebook or text with friends and family when I'm super excited about an experience. I find Epcot to be more lonely, since it is a social/food/drink thing.

-Dining: Quick service, sit at the bar at Disney restaurants that have them (can talk to bartender and people around you) and I enjoyed the character/buffet breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. Not so weird. I haven't done reservation dining though besides the buffet breakfast, which wasn't too weird because people were getting up all the time to get food and characters were walking around. But I have partly avoided the reservation dining to avoid it seeming weird to be alone, but they often have a table for two, and I use my time to do any park planning via the app.

-Shared rides and pools: I don't think you will stick out... people fly in from all over and meet family and friends here, so for all the other people know you are one of those people or are in town for business or convention. To be honest too, most people are just super excited to get here and are more likely thinking about their own trip than wondering about yours! Same with pools... maybe you are taking a breather from the kids or girlfriend is doing a shopping trip... I don't think people really pay that much attention and there are many reasons why you could be alone at the pool. Bring a book or notebook or just relax. It really is relaxing and awesome to be here... you might find you don't have so many worries once you are here.

-All my Disney trips in the past two years have been by myself. No one has asked me about why I was alone on the plane and I don't always talk to the people next to me (though I see why INTL flights would be different). When talking with people in parks or restaurants, I just say I couldn't find anyone to go with me (true), and most people think it is super cool that you are traveling and enjoying the parks alone, partly because they might not be so brave! Definitely not a loser situation... TBH, it is a great way to do what you want, when you want and treat yourself. You can really move fast through the parks if you want.

Have a magical time!!

Last edited:
I used to get offended by people refusing to take a seat next to me on the bus or not standing withing six feet of me in line, I have photographic proof of this happening in the bus line at Pop before anyone contradicts me, but, after a while I can see they are the one with the problem, clearly judging someone without knowing them
I would never contradict you but I wonder how much of that is your, personal, perception. You can't really know what people are thinking. Perhaps it isn't quite so clear they were judging you. I have taken the bus solo when I'm with people (heading back to the resort mid-day for example). Do people think I'm "solo" in Disney when I'm not? Can they really judge me?

Does this not standing within six feet of you in line happen often? I'm NOT suggesting it didn't happen, I believe you, I'm just curious because in 9 solo trips over the last 12 years that has never happened to me. More often I'm being crowded by people who hardly notice I'm there in line. I kinda wish they would give me some space.
I do not mind telling a white lie when I'm on the plane. If I don't feel like telling anyone that I'm solo, I say I'm in Orlando for work or to visit friends (hey- Mickey's a friend, right?), but I'm going to check out the parks while I'm there. Though I don't have to care what they think, I also am not obligated to tell them a true story.
Do you get asked questions about your trip often when you're on the plane?

I admit, I would like like it. No one has ever asked me a single question in the airport or on the plane unless I start the conversation. And flying solo I often sit in the row with another solo traveler. They never ask me questions. Occasionally I'll try to start a conversation but I think many people traveling solo are self-conscious about it and think I'm judging them. This thread bears it out so I don't talk to people much. Makes me a little sad because I'm a curious person and love hearing people's stories.

By the way, there are a lot more solo travelers than you might think... you just never notice them just as they never notice you.
You are so right! When I travel with friends I often look around to see if I can spot a solo traveler. I rarely do. Middle of the day I'll ask my friends if they noticed any solo travelers and they think I'm nuts; why would they be looking for solo people? Even when I'm solo I try to spot other solo travelers - it's not easy to do.

Do you get asked questions about your trip often when you're on the plane?

I admit, I would like like it. No one has ever asked me a single question in the airport or on the plane unless I start the conversation. And flying solo I often sit in the row with another solo traveler. They never ask me questions. Occasionally I'll try to start a conversation but I think many people traveling solo are self-conscious about it and think I'm judging them. This thread bears it out so I don't talk to people much. Makes me a little sad because I'm a curious person and love hearing people's stories.

I sometimes don't act like it, but I'm kind of an introvert. If someone strikes up a conversation with me, I'll often engage them for a while, and one of the first natural questions that come up has to do with the one thing we have in common (that we're on a plane going to X city), and why we're going there. But you're right... if I don't signal that I want to talk, I guess people will naturally back off after some initial niceties. But I have had conversations with people on planes and also on the airport shuttle about my trip. On a particular trip to WDW, I just said I was in town and going to check out the parks for a few days. And they replied that this sounded like a great idea. Everyone on the shuttle was in a pretty good mood anyway, so they weren't asking to judge... it was all very friendly.

I once stayed on property and the front desk asked me if the rest of my party had arrived yet. I told them, no, I was lucky enough to score my own room. And they replied that this sounded amazing and exciting... and there was no hitch (whereas I could've seen that going so very awkwardly). I feel sometimes like any perception of judgment is really a reflection of my own self-consciousness, so I try not to worry about it anymore.

Reading this whole thread green with envy, I would LOVE to take a solo trip and have the whole time to myself to do whatever I want, whenever I want, eat whatever I want, go on all of the rides I want to go on as many times as I please, and relax/go at my own pace!

Have the most amazing time, have fun - I love the idea of doing trip reports, or even just carrying a journal with you to document your thoughts, what you love best about what you're experiencing, sketch if you're into that so that you can still pour out all of that excitement that you feel.

And don't be afraid to chat with those people around you, or Cast Members, or whoever else you come across - people are generally pretty friendly and we all love a good shared experience, a chance to talk about ourselves, to ask questions and learn something new. Worst case scenario the person you're trying to engage isn't chatty and that's their loss, best case scenario you have a lovely conversation and make a new friend.

Everyone on the shuttle was in a pretty good mood anyway, so they weren't asking to judge... it was all very friendly.

I feel sometimes like any perception of judgment is really a reflection of my own self-consciousness, so I try not to worry about it anymore.
Reading the points of view on this thread has led me to believe that this is the reality; people who ask questions or comment are not judging. But many people feel they are being judged because of their own self-consciousness.

I am thankful that I see questions and comments as curiosity. But I feel for those who see these things as judgment. An uncomfortable way to travel solo.

I envy you, bryanb. I want to get into conversations with fellow travelers and I rarely do. How ironic that you don't want that yet people strike up conversations with you.

I used to get offended by people refusing to take a seat next to me on the bus or not standing withing six feet of me in line, I have photographic proof of this happening in the bus line at Pop before anyone contradicts me, but, after a while I can see they are the one with the problem, clearly judging someone without knowing them and even if their bigoted suspicions were correct then that reflects more on them than me, what am I supposed to do, wear a badge saying 'Just so you know, I'm a military war widow'. But that is silly as I'm doing nothing wrong.

I could be one of those people, because I enjoy my personal space. That is regardless of who this person is. I am not judging you when I do this, I am thinking of my own preferences. Other reason can be that there is a crying child sitting right behind you. Also not judging the child or the parent, just thinking I wouldn't enjoy that particular seat. Or I prefer to stay standing because I want to be the first one to be off the bus. When it happens outside in a line, it is probably also about personal space. Or it can be to avoid small talk. There are times when I travelling solo I enjoy talking to other tourists, and there are times I do not.

I do not understand what you mean by being a military war widow and people not wanting to sit next to you. I think the chances of these two things being related are extremely small. And I don't think wearing a badge would make people like me more likely to sit next to you.

To get back to the topic, all the good stuff of travelling solo has been mentioned, don't worry about dining solo other people rarily look at you. I never had looks of pity, I'm too busy having fun.

I could be one of those people, because I enjoy my personal space. That is regardless of who this person is. I am not judging you when I do this, I am thinking of my own preferences. Other reason can be that there is a crying child sitting right behind you. Also not judging the child or the parent, just thinking I wouldn't enjoy that particular seat. Or I prefer to stay standing because I want to be the first one to be off the bus. When it happens outside in a line, it is probably also about personal space. Or it can be to avoid small talk. There are times when I travelling solo I enjoy talking to other tourists, and there are times I do not.

I do not understand what you mean by being a military war widow and people not wanting to sit next to you. I think the chances of these two things being related are extremely small. And I don't think wearing a badge would make people like me more likely to sit next to you.

To get back to the topic, all the good stuff of travelling solo has been mentioned, don't worry about dining solo other people rarily look at you. I never had looks of pity, I'm too busy having fun.

This is what I mean, I posted this on another thread. I took this in March in the bus line at Pop. They are perfectly okay having people stand next to them, but, they wouldn't move forward to stand next to me , I was first in line. 10 minutes it was like this. It's when they are so blatant that it gets to me.
As for the War Widow bit, to clarify, clearly they presume something about me to behave like this because I am alone, but, the last thing they would presume is that I am a widow, so what are they presuming about me to have them stand so far away from me? Do I have a deadly disease, halitosis or BO (the latter two would be impossible for them to know being so far away) or something else? Sorry, but, your excuses for their rudeness or whatever you want to call it just doesn't cut it when it's what is happening in the photo. If you see a single person in line you don't have to talk to them, but, you don't have to stand ten feet away either.

This is what I mean, I posted this on another thread. I took this in March in the bus line at Pop. They are perfectly okay having people stand next to them, but, they wouldn't move forward to stand next to me , I was first in line. 10 minutes it was like this. It's when they are so blatant that it gets to me.
As for the War Widow bit, to clarify, clearly they presume something about me to behave like this because I am alone, but, the last thing they would presume is that I am a widow, so what are they presuming about me to have them stand so far away from me? Do I have a deadly disease, halitosis or BO (the latter two would be impossible for them to know being so far away) or something else? Sorry, but, your excuses for their rudeness or whatever you want to call it just doesn't cut it when it's what is happening in the photo. If you see a single person in line you don't have to talk to them, but, you don't have to stand ten feet away either.
And you're certain they stood there because they knew you were traveling solo and wanted to avoid being anywhere near you?

Last edited:

If a bus stop isn't too crowded, I usually will give other people a lot of space too. I think if the line snaked around to the next switchback (which looks empty in this photo), I'd probably move up. I wouldn't take it personally. The whole area feels empty enough, that people will want to spread out. In fact, if they moved right up next to me, I'd wonder why are they all up in my personal space.

Now, if it happens consistently when you're in line for Peter Pan, Space Mountain, or watching the fireworks, then maybe there's a reason. Otherwise, you might be interpreting that they're avoiding you when actually they're not focused on you at all. (And if they do have a problem, it's probably better just to move on and you'll hopefully never see them again.)

If I’m going to book this WDW 14 day trip I have a view queries I hope you can help with me with pretty please :)

. How do you deal with loneliness for a 14 day trip. I know theirs lots of entertainment and stuff to do in WDW but how do you cope with things like waiting in line on your own or not sharing an experience after coming off an epic ride with family or friends. I’m a quite awkward person and nervous anyway so don’t speak with people so easily so worry that even though so much to see and do in WDW how will I cope being lonely for 14 days ? I was thinking maybe writing trip reports? I don’t fancy doing video blogs and having a camera in my face and talking to camera all trip . Tried to watch these YouTube videos of people going solo but they don’t help as they are taking into their video camera all the trip and not paying attention to anyone around them on their solo trip but don’t wanna do that.

. Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own?

. Being in 30s and around hotel pool area/ being in swimming pool or water park where lots of children and families around without parents thinking your (how can I put this) thinking your a evil adult if you get what I mean ?

. I’ll be coming from the UK so most probably getting a coach / shared public transport to disney from airport so how do you try and not stand out like a sore thumb when everyone else with their friends or family and your by yourself boarding a coach on your own and sitting on your own and it being so noticeable I’m solo?

. What if someone speaks to me on the plane and asks why I’m on my own especially going to Florida where most people go with friends and family, should I tell people a little white lie and say I’m like a YouTube blogger or write trip reports and ride reviews for Disney ?

. This is probably a big one - WDW is such a big vacation destination for UK families and I worry I’m going to by chance bump into someone I once knew from high school etc and them thinking what a looser I’ve bevome in life by going on vacation to WDW on my own because knowone else would come with me.

Any help is most appreciated :)

I really appreciate this thread! In about a day or so, I am thinking about booking my first DLR trip (solo), for 3 full days there. I am feeling EXTREMELY insecure about it, to the point where I am thinking about not doing it.

But, it also gives you the freedom do whatever you want. You can wait as long or short as you would like various attractions, and eat when/where you want. So it can be extremely liberating!

How does everyone cope with those moments like the second you come off a ride and wanna rave and talk about it with your family or friends. You know the way you come off a ride and are like to the person your with ‘wow that was incredible, amazing rollercoaster etc’ I think I’ll miss those moments of having someone to share initial ride reactions etc with.
You can exclaim it to the people who just came off the ride with you! Honestly, I wouldn't worry about anything---do your thing, be who you are (because no one else can be or do it for you), and enjoy yourself. I envy you going solo! Drink it all in. Do you know most of the things people worry about never come true? You'll have a great time, no worries!!

46 from the UK and been going solo (aver 2 trips with nephews) since I was 23. Never really had any issues especially now everyone has a smart phone so are less inclined to talk.
I tend to fly business class these days so dont have plane neighbours to talk to but remember that people travel to MCO for many reasons and unless you wear something to advertise you are going to Disney then nobody will know. The only vaguely negative comment I got was when I was much younger (and probably looked about 12 LOL) was an older couple sitting next to me who said I was brave going alone.
If I feel lonely or want to show my excitement then I turn to Facebook and bore my friends with status updates and pictures.
No huge in restaurants although I do sometimes feel that wait staff give me less of a priority in taking orders than larger groups in some restaurants.
Generally dont have any issues at the pool although did feel very uncomfortable once (was out for 4 weeks to celibate my 40th and got glass in my foot the day before I flew out resulting in emergency surgery and 2 weeks on crutches) when a young girl about 5 (on her own in the pool) came over and started asking about my crutches.
Met people I work with about 3 or 4 times.

I thought about this often on my Sept (2019) trip. Every time I was waiting in line for the bus I was hyper aware of where I stood and where other people stood.

In general, when there aren't a lot of people in line people give others some space. I found myself leaving several feet when I walked up to a family already in line. And then people arriving would generally leave several feet between me and them. I appreciated it. When the bus would arrive we would all bunch up to board.

Fascinating what some people see as rude, isn't it?

Hey, mikeishere, I'm a fellow Brit and a fellow solo traveller and I empathise completely with your worries because I've been through the same thing when I was planning my first solo trip to WDW. So I'm just going to say that the first trip is always the most worrying because things build up in your head and you're not entirely sure what to expect. Coming here is exactly the right thing to do - I wish I'd found these forums when I did my first trip, because people are just ridiculously helpful and supportive.

mikeishere:
How do you deal with loneliness for a 14 day trip. I know theirs lots of entertainment and stuff to do in WDW but how do you cope with things like waiting in line on your own or not sharing an experience after coming off an epic ride with family or friends. I’m a quite awkward person and nervous anyway so don’t speak with people so easily so worry that even though so much to see and do in WDW how will I cope being lonely for 14 days ? I was thinking maybe writing trip reports?

Forgive the personal question, but how do you normally deal with it?

I know where you're coming from because I'm quite reserved and introverted. I live by myself and although I have a good group of friends, there are times when I am alone and every so often I do get lonely. The way I've found through it is to keep busy and make plans and WDW is absolutely perfect for that - you can use your FPs and dining reservations to plan and structure your days and there is just so much to do and see that I don't really find I have the time to be lonely. I also take a lot of photos and then do a FB post in the evening so I can interact with friends and family (yeah, ok, I'm showing off too ... :rolleyes1). If you fancy doing a trip report then that strikes me as a great way of focusing on what you've enjoyed and connecting with posters here. I know I'd love to read it.

There have been some great suggestions here for dealing with being in queues. My solution is to take a book and just read. It's weird how often that becomes a conversation starter with people and as I finish them, I use the alone time in the hotel room in the evening to put a review up on Goodreads/Amazon, which also keeps me busy.

mikeishere:
Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own?

Again, my solution for this is to read a book but there's free wifi in the park so you can also use the internet if you've got a phone or a tablet.

Like everyone here's said, no one really notices if you're on your own in a restaurant. In fact, the bigger issue is that you may find it difficult to get good service in some of the table restaurants (there have been a few times when I've basically been forgotten about entirely, which led to a chat with the manager).

mikeishere:
I’ll be coming from the UK so most probably getting a coach / shared public transport to disney from airport so how do you try and not stand out like a sore thumb when everyone else with their friends or family and your by yourself boarding a coach on your own and sitting on your own and it being so noticeable I’m solo?

If you're staying at a resort hotel, then you'll be on MDE and trust me, no one will notice that you're on your own at all. Everyone's so jacked up and excited to be going to WDW that they pay zero attention to who's on the bus.

mikeishere:
What if someone speaks to me on the plane and asks why I’m on my own especially going to Florida where most people go with friends and family, should I tell people a little white lie and say I’m like a YouTube blogger or write trip reports and ride reviews for Disney ?

Again, no one is going to notice at all because they'll be focused on the flight or each other or the in flight entertainment. I sometimes chat with cabin crew on the flight to MCO - they usually have some good tips or suggestions because they do it so often - but you don't have to if you don't want to. If your seat mate does want to have a chat then only tell them what you're comfortable telling them but please don't think you have to tell a white lie - it's a holiday route (as a generalism) so everyone's pretty much on that plane for the same purpose.

mikeishere:
This is probably a big one - WDW is such a big vacation destination for UK families and I worry I’m going to by chance bump into someone I once knew from high school etc and them thinking what a looser I’ve bevome in life by going on vacation to WDW on my own because knowone else would come with me.

There are thousands and thousands and thousands of people in WDW at any one time so the chances of you bumping into someone you know are very small but even if you do bump into them so what? You've organised what's a fairly expensive holiday and been confident enough to do what you want by yourself. That takes guts. Believe me, people are more likely to admire your courage and be a little envious that you get to have a trip where you can do whatever you want without having to negotiate with kids or partners or parents.

Very best of luck to you with your plans and please, please don't feel self-conscious. You will genuinely have a blast once you're out there.

1F

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter