Solo Trip

MusicalAstronaut

DIS Veteran
I've been a passholder on & off for a while now. I took a break this past fall because I knew I wouldn't be able to go until the spring. I recently re-upped my AP and booked myself a solo trip at Yacht Club as a mini 30th birthday gift to myself. I joked to my husband that my gift to him was that he didn't have to go. He doesn't love Disney and I do, so I usually go solo (and have an absolute blast). He'll go with me once a year because he loves me. :) Anyway, so I booked myself this weekend trip to YC because I scored a sweet deal and then had brunch with my sister (also an AP holder) and her boyfriend (because they're attached at the hip). She excitedly said she would come too. Great! I'd love that because I never get quality one-on-one time with her. Well, apparently "sister" coming actually means "sister and boyfriend". Then I got a phone call from my mom today. She said DS told our dad that the FOUR of us (sister, bf, my husband, and me) were going that weekend. So, my mom calls to tell me that she, my dad, and my little brother are ALSO coming. She also said "I can't wait to celebrate mother's day in disney". So now my solo trip has turned into this huge family event that is also for mother's day? And my poor husband is being guilted into it lol. I just wanted to vent to a group of Disnerds who might understand that I'm kind of disappointed by all this! I also want to add that we all live within 30 minutes of each other, so it's not like I never see my family. Trips with the whole family (like holidays) are 80% people fighting and screaming. :/ Besides hoping all of this falls through, I don't know how to salvage some of my alone time without offending my mom.

Ouch. That's a tough one. Any chance you could do a return Solo again this year or spend an extra couple of nights either before or after them this trip?

I'm taking my second Solo Trip in September. I'm not worrying too much about the Family since they've been 4 times in the past year and again coming up in April. I missed them on my last Solo but LOVED doing what I wanted when I wanted.

Good luck on this. Your Mom's excitement hopefully takes some of the sting away.

I totally get it! Solo trips are nice, you can do whatever you want with no one complaining!! And family trips, its enough fighting when just my parents come along throw in brother and SIL and forget it. Not to mention it sounds like this is last minute so planning things last min at Disney is def a little more stressful than a usual trip. Good luck, next time don’t tell them till you come home!!!!

I would plan on spending time just on your own. You don't have to be touring with them the whole time. I am like you, I love WDW and my hubby likes it but prefers not to go. So I go solo every year. Not everybody wants to "share" every experience with others. So just tell your family that you will be having some alone time.

Man, there's nothing worse than turning something simple into a production! My only advice is to just try to have fun anyway. You'll be at Disney after all. Maybe you can try to keep a little time to yourself for half-a-day. Usually when I travel with friends I have to take off and do a little bit on my own. Do they like to rope drop? If not, I wouldn't wait for them. Then at least you can have that time all for you.

Last edited:
Is there any chance you can book another little tiny trip? Maybe a long weekend. And then not tell anyone about it???

I guess I'm lucky. I'm about to go solo for just a day - tacked on to a work trip. I'm not really discussing it with my co-workers and just told DH about it a few days ago. It's really too late for anyone to invite themselves.

The first time I did it was in 2016, it was just so awesome to just stop and take it all in. No kids, no plans, just ride the Liberty Belle all day or stand in the way at Swiss Family....

Oh man, thats a tough one. I feel for you. I can relate to your situation because my sister cannot even urinate without her husband coming along and holding her hand. I am planning a trip with my dad and want my sister to come, but NOT her husband. I have to stress that he is NOT invited on the trip. Otherwise she will assume its ok to bring him along too. And its certainly not ok! Her hubby might be offended, but I honestly dont give a crap. :) Anyway, im hoping you'll be able to plan another true solo trip down the road. Good luck!

Man, there's nothing worse than turning something simple into a production! My only advise is to just try to have fun anyway. You'll be at Disney after all. Maybe you can try to keep a little time to yourself for half-a-day. Usually when I travel with friends I have to take off and do a little bit on my own. Do they like to rope drop? If not, I wouldn't wait for them. Then at least you can have that time all for you.
I do rope drop, and they're slow movers, so that's a good idea! I still have my own hotel room booked so they'll have to catch me later in the parks. I also already have FPs booked, so I told my mom I'll be doing those. I did say we'd be sure to meet up for dinner or something over the weekend but warned her I planned to mostly graze at the Flower & Garden Festival. I felt a little bad at not wanting "family time" because I do love them - I'm glad folks on here understand I can want my Disney me time AND still love my family. :stitch:

Dude. That’s super rough. I’m going solo over Mother’s Day ON PURPOSE. I’d be seriously bummed if family butted in. If you want, I’ll graze Flower and Garden with you! (I realize that’s not solo, but it’s also not family. :smooth:)

Oh wow! Have you thought about taking advantage of a Bounce Back for a solo trip later?

Oh no!!! The trip does not sound fun for you at all.
Can you spend an extra day on either end of the trip to get in solo time? No need to tell others, except your hubbie, he will get it.

Also, is it not possible to be honest with your family? You, being the great nice person that you are, are worried about hurting them but they did not take in consideration your feelings etc.
The sister and boyfriend situaion is weird, IMHO. Why is it an all or nothing situaion? Can`t you tell her you want some alone sister time?

These are my opinions based on my own relationships with my family; no, we are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. :flower1:
Good luck!

Enjoy your family trip, then plan a solo weekend and don't tell family about it until you get home!

I felt a little bad at not wanting "family time" because I do love them

I might feel bad if I lived a long distance from family but still wanted to have more solo time than family time. But if you live close to them and see them frequently, I don't see any reason to feel bad at not wanting family time. It's not like you won't see them for a long time when you get home. You already planned your trip so I would let them know that you've already got things planned and you don't intend to change them. If they aren't early people and you are, you shouldn't have to sacrifice your early start or your FPs. If you plan to graze and they don't, well they can meet you later for a drink somewhere.

We had friends who were attached at the hip; neither would even go to a company party if the spouse wasn't invited or wasn't able to make it. They simply couldn't understand how I could have opera tickets and would go alone (cuz DH would sooo have enjoyed attending the opera with me :(). Their view was that I should just sacrifice my pleasure in going to the opera if he didn't like it. They were totally unable to understand that DH and I can do different things and I was totally unable to understand how they wouldn't do anything separately. I had to do some fancy footwork to get my friend to just to a girls-only thing. But that's how I pitched it - quite baldly - this is a girls-only lunch, no guys invited, we're going to talk about stuff you don't want to hear and we don't want you to hear (whether it's true or not). Maybe you can do that for an afternoon snack/drink with your sister. At least you'd get an hour or two alone with her.

I might feel bad if I lived a long distance from family but still wanted to have more solo time than family time. But if you live close to them and see them frequently, I don't see any reason to feel bad at not wanting family time. It's not like you won't see them for a long time when you get home. You already planned your trip so I would let them know that you've already got things planned and you don't intend to change them. If they aren't early people and you are, you shouldn't have to sacrifice your early start or your FPs. If you plan to graze and they don't, well they can meet you later for a drink somewhere.

We had friends who were attached at the hip; neither would even go to a company party if the spouse wasn't invited or wasn't able to make it. They simply couldn't understand how I could have opera tickets and would go alone (cuz DH would sooo have enjoyed attending the opera with me :(). Their view was that I should just sacrifice my pleasure in going to the opera if he didn't like it. They were totally unable to understand that DH and I can do different things and I was totally unable to understand how they wouldn't do anything separately. I had to do some fancy footwork to get my friend to just to a girls-only thing. But that's how I pitched it - quite baldly - this is a girls-only lunch, no guys invited, we're going to talk about stuff you don't want to hear and we don't want you to hear (whether it's true or not). Maybe you can do that for an afternoon snack/drink with your sister. At least you'd get an hour or two alone with her.

I never understood the whole "we have to do EVERYTHING together" mentality. You can still love someone and not spend every second together. People have different interests and likes. I have been very happily married for 23 years and we have an amazing relationship. We laugh every day and we don't fight. We don't always agree, but we never yell or fight with each other. If we won the lottery and never had to work another day, we would have no problem spending all day, every day together because we like each other. BUT, we sure a heck can go and do different things without the other one. His interests and hobbies are not my own. I love going to WDW and travelling and he does not. So I go solo once a year and other times we do things together. A person should be at their best alone in order to be their best when in a relationship.

I'll state right up front, I didn't read the other responses and my opinion is probably different than most, but as someone who ADORES solo trips but has an elderly mom with limited time left together, I would welcome a trip together. It is priceless time and I would cherish it immensely. I would also leave my husband home and if anyone asks, I would just say that he isn't coming this time and leave it at that. I would make sure to soak up as much family time together that I could, but maybe plan some time for just yourself... a spa appt if that is your thing or early or late trip to the parks alone, whatever is your favorite thing. Then I would book another solo trip asap and tell no one. Good luck!

Oh wow! Have you thought about taking advantage of a Bounce Back for a solo trip later?
Do you know what the bounce back is right now/if there'll be one the second week of May? I feel so out of the loop since I haven't gone since September, haha (and I haven't been on here in months to make the break easier!).

Do you know what the bounce back is right now/if there'll be one the second week of May? I feel so out of the loop since I haven't gone since September, haha (and I haven't been on here in months to make the break easier!).

Unfortunately, I do not. I haven't been there since September either.

I'll state right up front, I didn't read the other responses and my opinion is probably different than most, but as someone who ADORES solo trips but has an elderly mom with limited time left together, I would welcome a trip together. It is priceless time and I would cherish it immensely. I would also leave my husband home and if anyone asks, I would just say that he isn't coming this time and leave it at that. I would make sure to soak up as much family time together that I could, but maybe plan some time for just yourself... a spa appt if that is your thing or early or late trip to the parks alone, whatever is your favorite thing. Then I would book another solo trip asap and tell no one. Good luck!
I totally understand that. That's why I'm not super salty about it - I just lost control of this trip really quickly, haha. Both of my grandmothers passed away last year and while my parents aren't elderly, I guess I'm at the age where I'm starting to think about how long they'll be in my life. It's weird to see your parents aging, instead of seeing them as constants.

I totally understand that. That's why I'm not super salty about it - I just lost control of this trip really quickly, haha. Both of my grandmothers passed away last year and while my parents aren't elderly, I guess I'm at the age where I'm starting to think about how long they'll be in my life. It's weird to see your parents aging, instead of seeing them as constants.

Yes, I agree. It is much harder than I ever imagined. It does kind of impact a lot of your big decisions going forward and makes a lot of them so much more valuable. I totally understand about you being sad to lose your solo trip... I would be sad too. I hope that you can find a way to make it work for you and not upset the other members of your group. Good luck! :)

Argh! It'll probably be fun, but nobody likes having their plans changed on them.

Can you fake your death? That's always on the table for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!