Solo travelers in relationships/with kids

Cosmic Ryan

Earning My Ears
I am taking my first solo trip in March. My wife has encouraged me to go because she knows how much I like going and truth be told, she just isn’t as into it as I am. She is willing to go back when our daughter is older but we are not quite at that’s point yet. While I have her blessing and am indeed going, I can’t but help but still feel a bit weird about it. Can anyone else relate? If I enjoy this trip, I’d be open to taking more solo trips in the future as it’s the only way I’d be able to keep going with a deal of frequency but part of me just feels weird leaving the kid and wife behind to do it.

Don't feel weird. Your kid doesn't have to know. You can bring them back something but go enjoy you. Will you go back and take more? That's up to you two but recognize that you got a kickass, supportive wife. enjoy

I'm married with 3 kids and I'm taking my first solo trip in February. We have annual passes about to expire and I really wanted to use it one more time. I was able to use points for a plane ticket and a good room discount. My husband encouraged me to book the trip and said "it would be stupid not to go!"
I'm very excited and nervous about getting lonely, but mostly excited!

I am taking my first solo trip in March. My wife has encouraged me to go because she knows how much I like going and truth be told, she just isn’t as into it as I am. She is willing to go back when our daughter is older but we are not quite at that’s point yet. While I have her blessing and am indeed going, I can’t but help but still feel a bit weird about it. Can anyone else relate? If I enjoy this trip, I’d be open to taking more solo trips in the future as it’s the only way I’d be able to keep going with a deal of frequency but part of me just feels weird leaving the kid and wife behind to do it.

I can totally relate. I'm taking my first solo trip in May. With school and work schedules, my husband and son couldn't make the trip. I am the only AP and was able to pull an awesome PL hotel deal and cheap flight. My husband was all for it! I think its great if your spouse encourages you to enjoy yourself, especially knowing you are the bigger Disney fan. As can be seen for many posts on this thread, a solo trip is a great experience; your family will most likely appreciate the post Disney "pixie dust" you'll return home with!

Yes, I had a business trip last september to the east coast and my wife told me to enjoy myself in disney

I leave my husband and 5 kids for a week every year to take a solo trip. I now do it guilt free, because my husband is super supportive of my love for WDW and solo time. Go and have a guilt free blast! You’re going to love it!

I have a wonderful and supportive Husband that just hates travelling. I have 2 special needs teens that have no interest in going to Disney, none of my friends or extended family like it either. I took my husband's advice to finally give in and go solo last November. Best decision I've ever made! Now all I need is more money to go solo more often :) Go and enjoy, it's so much fun!

Go! Don't feel weird. Traveling solo is awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love traveling with my family too, but everyone needs me time. And when one of you has more of a love for an activity than the other, sometimes its nicer to do it on your own. I hope you have a blast!

I am in the same boat. My children are 3 & 1. For me, solo time is not something I get much of anymore and I'm so looking forward to a week to myself. I feel guilty here and there but it's no different than taking a holiday with friends for a week. Of course, I don't throw it around that I'm going to Disney, I just tell my kids that I'm going on my Mom Trip! My husband is supportive since he's not a park person.

I say go, enjoy yourself, bring back treats!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter