Solo From Ireland to So Cal Trip Number 13 June 2023

Bad Pink Tink 2.0

Original Join Date March 2015
Some have asked , so here it is, my annual June California trip report.

Like previous years I did a split stay, the first few days in LA to visit friends and then transfer to Anaheim.

Wednesday June 21
Dublin to LAX direct with Aer Lingus, 10 hour flight time.
In Ireland we have a special arrangement with US Homelands Security and we have passport check in the airport before getting on the plane. Usually I have lunch in the main terminal concourse and then go through preclearance, but this trip I decided to book the lounge after pre clearance. All passengers on USA flights can book this lounge, its not for any specific airline or ticket level. Some passengers can have free access but most people pay for it. I booked in advance and paid €41, on the day you can pay €45 if there is availability.

Food options were
  • Mediterranean Chicken Stew
  • Sweet Potato, Coconut and Chickpea Curry
  • Plain Rice
  • Salad Bar
  • Soup
  • Selection of pastries
Drinks
  • Help yourself to soda, water, tea and coffee
  • Alcohol drinks were in a bar area, limit to 2 per person, no cocktails, just wine, spirts and beer.
  • Barista coffee in the bar
Gluten Free options are also available.

I booked for 12.30 for a 3pm flight and had plenty of time. It was busy when I got there but cleared out as flights were called. Flight information is available on screens and the reception also make flight calls. I stayed in the lounge until my flight was called and it really didnt feel like I was at the airport, it was a much more relaxed atmosphere. My gate was beside the lounge and it was a shock to walk out to hustle and bustle of the gate area after the relative quiet of the lounge.

The flight was fine, I booked an aisle seat at the window and my seat mate was a young Irish girl going to Californian on a student work visa. It was her first time in America so I gave her some hints and tips.

The main meal in the flight was beef stew, with a small pasta salad, bread roll and a strawberry mouse desert. On Aer Lingus soda, water, tea and coffee are included but alcohol is an extra charge. Halfway through the flight they came around with icecream tubs and then about an hour before landing we had a hot chicken wrap.

Landing at LAX Tom Bradley was an adventure. As we do passport check in Dublin, we land as a domestic passenger. So we arrive at the gate area and then have the long walk about 20 minutes back into the main terminal food and shopping area and then down to bag reclaim.The bags took so long to come through, at one stage the carosel stopped moving. I have an airtag on my bag, so I chacked the app and saw that it was in LAX so I didnt worry. While I was waiting for my bag I got a WhatsAp message from Midwilshuttle to notify me that my driver had arrived. I text back that I had arrived and was waiting for my bag. Once my bag finally came out, I went out to the shared ride pick up area outside arrivals and sent a text to Midwilshuttle to tell the driver which pole I was standing at. My driver arrived within 10 minutes and it was off to my hotel in Downtown LA. The traffic wasnt too bad, but it was about 8.30 by the time I eventually got to my room. I had brought some food with me, just some snacks so after a quick shower I was ready for bed. From the time I left my house to the time I checked in to my hotel was about 17 hours.

Thursday 22 June to Monday 26 June

I had a great few days hanging out with friends. We went shopping, spent a day at the beach in Santa Monica and took a day trip to Solvang.

Last edited:
Monday 26 June
Finally its time for Disneyland. My friends were going home today, so they wanted to be on the road early. We left LA about 10am and it was about 11am when we got to Anaheim. I checked into my hotel, put my luggage in the luggage store and then joined them in Downtown Disney.

This time I stayed at Desert Inn and Suites on Harbour Boulevard. Its directly opposite the Disney pedestrian entrance and beside Dennys. Its a really great location but its a very basic motel. For me its all I need, short walking distance to Disney, safe and relatively cheap. It has an indoor swimming pool, grab and go basic breakfast, laundry room, vending machines and a luggage storeage area. I have stayed here before, but many people disregard it as its so basic.

After some shopping with my friends in World of Disney and beignets at Ralph Brennans Express, it was time for them to start the drive home.

Things I wanted to do today
  1. Add money to my Disney Gift Card. I bought a special edition Disney Gift Card a few years ago called a Spira. Its a metal Star Wars themed card, kinda like what they would use in Star Wars. I bring cash from my home country and load it onto the Spira and then use that for all my Disney spending, restaurants, shopping, mobile food ordering etc.
  2. Buy a MagicBand+ These are new to Disneyland California and as they have to be charged before the first use and need to be connected to your Disney account and phone, so I wanted to do it before my first park day.
I had wander into Grand California Hotel and sat for a while a Starbucks and then it was 3pm and time to go back to my hotel and see if my room was ready.

Back at the hotel I unpacked and refreshed and then went for some food. I decided to go to McDonalds as I had seen online about the special edition Grimace shake. In Europe we rarely get the promo items from McDonalds and Starbucks, so this was a chance for me to try something fun.

I didnt go back to Downtown Disney as I wanted an early as I would be up early for ropedrop the next day.

Tuesday 27 June

This was a new experience for me, starting with one day at California Adventures.

With my new Magicband fully charged, at 7am I got my coffee and pastries from my hotel breakfast and headed across the street to bag check.

At 7.15am I was scanned, photo taken and through to Carthy Circle area. I decided to start the day with rope dropping Soarin.

At 7.30am, a crowd of hotel guests came from Grand California Hotel. Then at 8am we were in. Ive rope dropped Soarin before and to me its a great way to start the day.

Im not going to do the usual and then I went here and then I went there type of report as I find that boring to read, lol 🙂 but I did keep a track of my day

Rides
  • Soarin Ropedrop
  • Toystory Midway Mania Standby
  • Little Mermaid Standby
  • Webslingers Single Rider
  • Monster Inc Genie +
  • Webslingers Single Rider
  • Toy Story Midway Mania Genie+
Entertainment
  • Spiderman Show
  • Warriors of Wakanda The Dora Milaje
  • Turtle Talk with Crush
  • World of Color Desert Party
Photopass Photos
  • Pixar Pier
  • Grizzly Peak Waterfall
  • Avengers Campus Entrance
  • Avengers Campus Main Building
Food
  • Breakfast from hotel, homemade yoghurt and fruit parfait, bagel and cream cheese, brought into the park
  • Cosmic Cream Orb from Terran Treats Avengers Campus
  • Lunch at Lamplight Lounge
  • Jerked Cornish Hen
    Beer-brined, Jerk-marinated Cornish Game Hen with Bami Cake topped with Strawberry-Chile Jam, Braised Collards and Mixed Greens Salad
  • Strawberry Cheesecake Bread Pudding from Pacific Wharf Café

Wednesday 28 June
My first day at the Main Park. Same as the previous day, 7am coffee and pastries at my hotel, 7.15am scanned through the turnstyle.

The first thing I did today was get a photo at the entrance with the train station in the background. Usually I just follow the crowd through the arches and never make it back to get a photo. This time I decided to join the line, which wasnt that long really and just get the photo. Being so early, knowing I had to wait until 8am anyway made it a bit easier.

After the photo I made my way down Main Street to the Hub. Everyone was being held here, with a separate entrance area in front of The Plaza for hotel guests.

I just found a bench and waited until the opening announcement. The big rush was to Fantasyland, Frontierland and Galaxys Edge, so I waited until the crowds walked with purpose and then just strolled into an almost empty Tomorrowland

Rides
  • Buzz Lightyear Astro Blast Walk On
  • Star Tours Walk On
  • Autopia 10 minute wait
  • Buzz Lightyear Astro Blast Walk On
  • Micky and Minnie Runaway Railroad Individual Lightning Lane Immediate
  • Return
  • Haunted Mansion Genie + Lightning Lane
  • Indiana Jones Genie + Lightning Lane
  • Big Thunder Mountain Genie + Lightning Lane
  • Rise of The Resistance Individual Lightning Lane
  • Millennium Falcon Single Rider Walk On
  • Pirates of The Caribbean 10 minute wait
  • Jungle Cruise 20 minute wait
Entertainment
  • Princess Meet and Greet
  • Stagedoor Cafe Piano Player
  • Full loop of Disneyland Train from New Orleans Square
  • Tiki Room
  • Mark Twain River Boat on Rivers of America
Food
  • Breakfast muesli, bagel and cream cheese from my hotel and eaten in the park
  • Lunch Cafe Orleans
  • Pasta Jambalaya
  • Andouille Sausage, Chicken, Shrimp, Peppers and Pappardelle Pasta in a Creole Sauce
  • Creme Brulee with berries
  • Pizza Slice from Pizza Planet

Thursday 29 June

My second day at the Main Park

I had decided that I wasnt rope dropping on this day as I had made a breakfast reservation for Carnation Cafe at 9.30am. I was in the park around 8.30am, and had a look through the shops on Main Street and then went to Starbucks before my going across the street to Carnation Cafe. I went to Starbucks and got a coffee and brought it with me instead of just having the regular coffee at Carnation Cafe.

After my breakfast I decided to try to find a CM I know. She was off yesterday but working today but I picked a bad time and she was on a break. While I waited for her to come back after her break, I sat in Frontierland and watched the Marching Band outside Golden Horseshoe.

When the band was finished I found my friend and after a chat with her it was time to do some rides. It was now just after 12pm.

Rides
  • Star Tours Genie+ Immediate Return
  • Buzz Lightyear Genie+
  • Roger Rabbit Genie+
  • Big Thunder Mountain Genie+
  • Its A Small World Walk On Standby
  • Millennium Falcon Single Rider Walk On
  • Pirates of The Caribbean 10 Minute Wait
Entertainment
  • Marching Band in Frontierland
  • Sailing Boat Columbia on Rivers of America
  • Tales of The Lion King
Food
  • Carnation Cafe Biscuits, Egg and Gravy Breakfast Skillet
  • Red Rose Tavern Grey Stuff
  • Plaza Inn Chicken Mash Potato and Gravy
I didnt stay late on this day, I was back at my hotel before the fireworks.

Thank you for posting about your trip! I meant to come back and read it earlier but got sidetracked. I love hearing about your escapades and see your perspective on things at DLR.

I hope it was a wonderful trip. If you ever need a friend to meet up with (sounds like you're good in that dept), let me know! My daughter works as a CM and I have an AP so it would be fun to get together sometime. We've chatted multiple times over the years but never met.

Did you do any MJ stuff this trip? I'll have to send you a pic of my oldest daughter, who, like me, is a fan. She was MJ for Halloween last year and I think she nailed it!

Thank you for posting about your trip! I meant to come back and read it earlier but got sidetracked. I love hearing about your escapades and see your perspective on things at DLR.
Aww thanks :)

I hope it was a wonderful trip. If you ever need a friend to meet up with (sounds like you're good in that dept), let me know! My daughter works as a CM and I have an AP so it would be fun to get together sometime. We've chatted multiple times over the years but never met.
Oh wow, will send you a pm, I love meeting up with online friends, it would cool to meet you in real life. In a few months I'll be starting my planning for my June 2024 trip.

Did you do any MJ stuff this trip? I'll have to send you a pic of my oldest daughter, who, like me, is a fan. She was MJ for Halloween last year and I think she nailed it!
Yes I did, oh wow, that sounds cool. I'll finish this trip report next week, I'm away at the moment, in England as I have just been on a DCL cruise

Friday 30 June

My last day at the Main Park so up early for rope drop.

I decided to start in Discoveryland and then I went to Fantasyland.

I had my mid morning food at Red Rose Tavern at 11am.

After my food I spent the next few hours not on rides. I went shopping, watched the Disneyland Band in front of The Castle, took a round trip on The Monorail, walked up Main Street through the shops, had some time out from the heat in Mr Lincoln and then took Main Street Transportation Horse Carriage back down to The Castle.

Time for more rides so I went into Advetureland, New Orleans Square and down to Galaxys Edge.

I had a reservation for Ogas, and then after Ogas time for more rides.

However my plans didt go so well in the evening time. I had an Individual Attraction Lightning Lane bought for Rise of The Resistance, but when I was in Millennium Falcon, it went down down and converted to an Any Time Multi Experience Lightning Lane. I had also booked a Genie+ Lightning Lane for Haunted Mansion so when Rise went down, I decided to go to Haunted Mansion.

But by the time I got there, Haunted Mansion was down. There was all sorts of chaos at Haunted Mansion, most people just trying to work out if they should stay and wait or go and do something else. However, we also had some free entertainment, thanks to a shouty man who was NOT having a magical day and gave the Haunted Mansion cms a reason to call security. All the rest of us just looked at each other stunned that a ride closure would cause such an outburst. And while we were distracted by shouty man, Haunted Mansion re opened and all of us at the gate area went straight in and walked all the way to the main door.

I still had my Rise of The Resistance Any Time Multi Experience Lightning Lane so I went to Jungle cruise next and they accepted it, so I got on that without doing most of the main queue.

By now it was about 8.15pm so I decided to go over to Its A Small World area to try to see the fireworks. I got a seat in the bandstand seating area and just people watched.

It was a bit chilly and I could feel a breeze and I was getting a bit cold, which was unexpected. At 9pm the Encanto animation show was projected onto Its A Small World. This was cool to see, I had heard about it but never seen it before.

And then as I kinda thought would happen, fireworks were cancelled. They still did the projections onto Its A Small World but it really wasnt the same. By the time it ended, I was cold from sitting in that area for so long, so I just started walking to get warm and decided I was done for the day.

I did some last shopping on Main Street and was back at my hotel at about 10.30pm.

Rides
  • Star Tours
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • Nemo Submarine
  • Alice In Wonderland
  • Teacups
  • Storybook Canal
  • Mr Toads Wild Ride
  • Peter Pan
  • Snow White
  • Indiana Jones Lightning Lane
  • Pirates of The Caribbean
  • Big Thunder Mountain Lightning Lane
  • Millennium Falcon Single Rider
  • Millennium Falcon Lightning Lane
  • Jungle Cruise
Entertainment
  • Marching Band at The Castle
  • Monorail round trip
  • Great Moments with Mr Lincoln
  • Mainstreet Transportation To The Castle
  • Encanto Projections at Its A Small World
  • Cancelled Fireworks Projections at Its A Small World
Food
  • Red Rose Tavern : Bonjour! Breakfast
    Scrambled Eggs, Taverne Potato Bites, choice of Hickory-smoked Bacon or Sausage, served with a Petit Croissant
  • Galactic Grill Disney : 100 Celebration Trifle
  • Ogas Cantina : Fuzzy Tauntaun and Takodana Quencher
  • Harbor Galley : Mushroom, Vegetable and Farro Stew in a Sourdough Bread Bowl
  • Edelweiss Snacks : Smoked Bratwurst with Seasoned Sauerkraut on a Garlic Chive Brioche Bun

Saturday 1 July

This is my travel home day. I didnt have a park ticket for today so I would be just around Downtown Disney until it was time to go to the airport.

Checkout time is 11am so I was up around 8.30am to get the grab and go breakfast and then went back to my room to pack and get ready for travel back to Ireland.

At 11am I left my room and asked for my large bag to be stored in the locked store room.

I then went across the street and into Downtown Disney.

My plan for lunch / brunch was Hearthstone Lounge in Grand California Hotel. They started serving at 12pm so I had a wander through World of Disney and slowly made my way to the hotel.

I had
Chorizo Poutine
Seasoned Steak Fries, Chorizo Gravy, White Cheddar Cheese Curds, Sweet & Hot Peppers.

I then took a last look at the lobby area and shop and headed out for a last walk through of Downtown Disney.

I was back at my hotel for about 3.00pm as I had Midwilshuttle booked to bring me to LAX airport. My airline flys from Tom Bradly International Terminal, so I allowed approx 1 hour from Anaheim to LAX, as it takes a while to get from Terminal 1 down to Tom Bradly International Terminal.

My flight was at 8apm, so I allowed about 4 hours before the flight. I don't mind being at the airport, its part of the travel experience for me. Tom Bradly International Terminal is always very busy, so I like to allow time to stand in line at check in and bag drop, and then TSA security.

Tom Bradly International Terminal has had a big refurb over the last few years and its about double the size of the domestic terminals. After TSA there is a huge shopping and restaurant area. I went to Panda Express, the queue is always long but I had enough time, it took 20 minutes to get my food. I then went to Starbucks for some coffee. I had a look around the large duty free shops and then decided to go to my gate area around 6.30pm.

My airline uses the West Gate area of Tom Bradly International Terminal, which is really in a separate building. Its a 20 to 30 minute walk from the main shopping and restaurant area, as you have to go under the road at the back of the main terminal building and then up into the gate area. There are a few shops and food options in this section of the airport, but not that much.

I was at the gate area around 7pm, just as the passengers were getting off the arriving plane.

Then my flight left about 8pm Saturday 1 July LA time and arrived in Ireland around 2pm Sunday 2 July Ireland time, which would have been 6am Sunday 2 July LA time. Its approx 10 hours flying time and an 8 hour ahead time difference.

At Dublin airport I got a taxi and was home about 3 pm Ireland time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter