Solo dining at Cafe Orleans

kanickie

Mouseketeer
I'd love to try the three cheese Monte Cristo and the pomme frites when I'm in DL on my own in a couple of months.. I've heard that both of these are HUGE. Do you think they'd do kids portions if I ask? haha!

Maybe i just bite the bullet, don't eat anything all day and walk away with a huge doggy bag!

Alas, I don't see a Monte Cristo on the kids menu and I haven't heard of them offering a half portion option. That, plus the pomme frites, is a lot of food! I'd get a locker so you don't have to carry around the food all day (and maybe a soft-sided cooler with a cooling pack to help keep things cool).

Ahh I might just have to choose one or another! Hard when I'm there for a fleeting visit and will be coming all the way from UK!

Just do it and don't eat it all. I also would NOT take leftover food to go. It will taste absolutely terrible later. Fried food like that never holds up. Just eat as much as you can and don't feel bad about letting them pitch the leftovers.

The Monte Cristo is THE BEST Monte Cristo anywhere imo. With that said, it is a very rich and heavy meal. The pommes frites are good but not super special to me. You could go in for early lunch and have the pommes frites and then back for dinner for the Monte Cristo:) If these two items are big on your to eat list, that is what I would do.

That's a very tough question. You can only get the 3 Cheese Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans and it's quite popular, but I'm not really a fan of cheese sandwiches. As others have said, it's a really heavy entree. I really like the pomme frites at CO, especially with the remoulade. You can get very similar fries at Red Rose Tavern as a side on many of the entrees, but it doesn't have the remoulade. Given you aren't going to get to DL very often and are coming from the UK, I'd splurge and get both. Eat what you can and enjoy getting to try both.

Yes, those make for a huge meal ….. 2 of us share that and don't finish it all !! That said, I'd say go with the Monte Cristo and take the leftovers. We have actually eaten leftover Monte Cristo and while not great, it was still edible... not too bad...….haha. the frites, not so much. Sometimes the frites get cold and soggy pretty quick right at the table...

Just get both. I’m a vegetarian and that’s always a stop for me with those two items. I usually only eat about half and just leave the rest. It’s worth it on a fun vacation and it tastes great!

I should note, I do this as a solo traveler

If you had to choose one.. which would it be? :fish:

The sandwich. I don't really get the hype for the fries, to be honest. They are the same fries served all over Disneyland with a bit of garlic, parmesan, and parsley tossed in. Numerous restaurants here offer those as a side, and in fact, the ones at Uva Bar at Downtown Disney are superior.

For me, fries are not a meal. A sandwich is.

Just do it and don't eat it all. I also would NOT take leftover food to go. It will taste absolutely terrible later. Fried food like that never holds up. Just eat as much as you can and don't feel bad about letting them pitch the leftovers.

I have to agree with this thought. Just splurge and do your best, OP!

I would go for the Monte Cristo! It's the more unique and interesting item. The pomme frites are great, but they are still just pomme frites!

The Monte Cristo is the best. I'd recommend you get that. It exceeded my expectations the first time I tried it and is different to so many other foods. I've had it twice when I dined there solo and can never finish it but it's still worth it in my opinion. I have it every trip.

I dined solo at Cafe Orleans this past Saturday. I had a 12:40 reservation and I had not eaten at all when I arrived. I ordered the Monte Cristo (my favorite) and ate every bite! Including all the grapes. I didn't order the Pomme Frites, honestly because I knew I couldn't eat them, and well - I went to Brussels this past year and had REAL Pomme Frites and there is just no comparison. But, the Monte Cristo is the BEST! Enjoy your visit. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter