Solo DCL Cruise? Should I?

AMusicLifeForMe

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I am thinking about doing a cruise on the Fantasy (Star Wars Day at Sea) or the Dream (4-night to see Beauty and the Beast). I haven't experienced both of those yet. I am a huge Star Wars fan, but I also really like Disney stage shows. The issue I am having is if I should go ahead and book a cruise or not. That is because I would be traveling solo if I did. I haven't cruised solo before, and I am wondering if any of you have?

What were some of the benefits and negatives to cruising solo that you came across?

If I decide to book a cruise, which one would you pick? I normally don't like cruising less than 7 days, but I'm willing to give the Dream a try again just to see Beauty and the Beast.

Thanks for any input! :)

LOVE cruising solo.

A ~ You can do what you want and not have to worry about whiny family or friends who don't want to do what you want.
B ~ Adult areas.
C ~ Treated like royalty in Palo (and I assume Remy, but I've not been brave enough to try it yet).
D ~ Doted on (if you wish) by dinner room staff.
E ~ Serenity Bay with no guilt over leaving kids in Scuttle's Cove or having to give up adult chill time to hang with family at the family beach.

I could go on and on, but I love cruising solo. Yes, the cost is gross since you're paying double (though only single port fees and taxes as well as gratuities), but the enjoyment is AMAZING.

I actually just today changed my planned Feb 2019 cruise from the Wonder (never been on her yet) to the Dream primarily based on reviews of Beauty and the Beast and the fact that I love that story. I'd usually prefer a 7-night, but I am so many shades of NOT a Star Wars fan, the thought of dealing with that just puts me off 100% - I don't care if it's "just" a day...the ethos permeates the cruise from what friends who have gone have told me. If you don't mind Star Wars (and since I'm weird in not liking it, you probably love it. LOL), I'd go with the 7-night.

LOVE cruising solo.

A ~ You can do what you want and not have to worry about whiny family or friends who don't want to do what you want.
B ~ Adult areas.
C ~ Treated like royalty in Palo (and I assume Remy, but I've not been brave enough to try it yet).
D ~ Doted on (if you wish) by dinner room staff.
E ~ Serenity Bay with no guilt over leaving kids in Scuttle's Cove or having to give up adult chill time to hang with family at the family beach.

I could go on and on, but I love cruising solo. Yes, the cost is gross since you're paying double (though only single port fees and taxes as well as gratuities), but the enjoyment is AMAZING.

I actually just today changed my planned Feb 2019 cruise from the Wonder (never been on her yet) to the Dream primarily based on reviews of Beauty and the Beast and the fact that I love that story. I'd usually prefer a 7-night, but I am so many shades of NOT a Star Wars fan, the thought of dealing with that just puts me off 100% - I don't care if it's "just" a day...the ethos permeates the cruise from what friends who have gone have told me. If you don't mind Star Wars (and since I'm weird in not liking it, you probably love it. LOL), I'd go with the 7-night.
Thank you for your input! The good thing is that I normally cruise with my Dad. I don't have to worry about kids or a wife yet lol.

I have been on the Dream once (first DCL cruise) and the Fantasy twice. I'm leaning towards the Dream for that reason or possibly doing a double dip as well. I just don't care for Nassau, and that is why the Fantasy is calling to me again lol.

Thank you for your input! The good thing is that I normally cruise with my Dad. I don't have to worry about kids or a wife yet lol.

I have been on the Dream once (first DCL cruise) and the Fantasy twice. I'm leaning towards the Dream for that reason or possibly doing a double dip as well. I just don't care for Nassau, and that is why the Fantasy is calling to me again lol.

LOL. I hear you. Though they have added the Balmoral Island excursion since I was there last, and my sister loved it and said it is gorgeous. Or worst-case, it's a "stationary sea day".

If I could do a cruise alone, I would love it. I’d never get off ship just do the aqua duck over and over while others were off. I have been to most Caribbean ports. However, I might do a good hike, or kayaking. Or maybe hire a boat with a captain for a day on my own on the water.

Get latte at the cove in the morning after waking up when I want.

Go to gym

Hang out at adult pool all day.

Go to bar between Palo and Remy every night for drinks

Do all the cocktail tastings

Go to Palo and Remy on my own.

I don’t care for the shows so I would skip those but eat at second seating and head to the adult show every night and listen to music in piano bar and other adult venues. Stay up late and sleep late.

Might get off st castaway cay but probably not.

I have never done a cruise less than 7 days and usually 10 or more so I doubt that I would do a shorter one on my own either.

Hi everyone. I am thinking about doing a cruise on the Fantasy (Star Wars Day at Sea) or the Dream (4-night to see Beauty and the Beast). I haven't experienced both of those yet. I am a huge Star Wars fan, but I also really like Disney stage shows. The issue I am having is if I should go ahead and book a cruise or not. That is because I would be traveling solo if I did. I haven't cruised solo before, and I am wondering if any of you have?

What were some of the benefits and negatives to cruising solo that you came across?

If I decide to book a cruise, which one would you pick? I normally don't like cruising less than 7 days, but I'm willing to give the Dream a try again just to see Beauty and the Beast.

The main problem with cruising solo for some people is that they feel lonely, or odd somehow, particularly when surrounded by families, as you will be on a Disney cruise.

Plenty of solo travelers don't feel that way, though. You know yourself best. If you're happy going to WDW alone, you'll probably be happy cruising alone, too.

The other main drawback is that a cabin for one costs about as much as a cabin for two. DCL cruises are already expensive, but the price is even more unreasonable when it's only for one person. But that does not mean it wouldn't be worth it for you.

Bottom line: If you really want to, do it. Listen to your feelings.

We were on the Dream 2 weeks ago and loved it. The Beauty and the Beast show impressed even my 13 year-old son, who typically doesn't care for plays. The service and food were the same quality as what we experienced on the Fantasy a year ago. Imo, a Castaway Cay double dip is the best itinerary there is. You can always stay on the ship at Nassau.

Last edited:

I have done numerous solo Disney cruises, and have met the best people, some people that we now meet up to cruise together.

The freedom of just being by yourself is great, for all the reasons listed already.

Star Wars Day at Sea is pretty cool btw...and I’m not even a Star Wars fan.

I know a lot of people are thinking that they would go to the bar and drink and do things. That isn't me. I don't drink alcohol, but I still take part in all of the adult activities that I can.

The main problem with cruising solo for some people is that they feel lonely, or odd somehow, particularly when surrounded by families, as you will be on a Disney cruise.

Plenty of solo travelers don't feel that way, though. You know yourself best. If you're happy going to WDW alone, you'll probably be happy cruising alone, too.

The other main drawback is that a cabin for one costs about as much as a cabin for two. DCL cruises are already expensive, but the price is even more unreasonable when it's only for one person. But that does not mean it wouldn't be worth it for you.

Bottom line: If you really want to, do it. Listen to your feelings.

We were on the Dream 2 weeks ago and loved it. The Beauty and the Beast show impressed even my 13 year-old son, who typically doesn't care for plays. The service and food were the same quality as what we experienced on the Fantasy a year ago. Imo, a Castaway Cay double dip is the best itinerary there is. You can always stay on the ship at Nassau.
Thank you very much for your input. I have done several trips to WDW alone, and I really prefer it that way. I also spend a lot of the time on cruises alone away from my Dad, but we would usually do some things together. So, I know I can probably handle a cruise alone.

I'm usually not social with other people while on a cruise unless we meet them somehow and strike a conversation.

I have done numerous solo Disney cruises, and have met the best people, some people that we now meet up to cruise together.

The freedom of just being by yourself is great, for all the reasons listed already.

Star Wars Day at Sea is pretty cool btw...and I’m not even a Star Wars fan.
Thank you for the input. I have priced both cruises that I'm looking into, and the Star Wars Day at Sea cruise is $1,000 more than 4 days on the Dream. I know that's a 7-day cruise, but $1,000 is a big difference.

If you’re in it for The Disney Experience then go for it, regardless of the insane price premium. But if you just want an awesome solo cruise, check out the newer Norwegian ships and also the Tauck and AmaWaterways river ships, all of which heavily cater to single travelers with single room types and no single supplement on multiple cruises. Check out https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/studios and http://m.tauck.com/travel-types/solo-travel.aspx and also https://www.amawaterways.com/pdf/Solo_Traveler_Savings_noCTA.pdf

I've completed 10+ solo cruises with the majority of them with Disney. They are plenty of positives about cruising solo as others have mentioned. Some of my favorites are; do what you want and not having to check with someone else, the entire stateroom to yourself and easily find seats for the shows/movies. The only negative is not having someone you know siting with you in the MDR or at Palo/Remy's.

Last edited:
I've completed 10+ solo cruises with the majority of them with Disney. They are plenty of positives about cruising solo as other have mentioned. Some of my favorites are; do what you want and not having to check with someone else, the entire stateroom to yourself and easily find seats for the shows/movies. The only negative is not having someone you know siting with you in the MDR or at Palo/Remy's.

Just to clarify - you can always request to be seated alone in the MDR. Not a guarantee, but they will try.

Palo or Remy you are never seated with others outside of your party. So “being seated with ‘strangers’” is not even an issue there.

I would vote for 4-night The Beauty and the Beast cruise. First, that show looks amazing, and I know how much you love theatre and music, so I would guess you're going to see both showings! Second, the 4-night will give you a chance to really tell how much you like complete solo cruising. I'm doing a solo cruise next Feb and decided to start with a 4-night (but that's also my first cruise, ever, so more trying out that whole experience entirely). I also feel like the SWDAS seems like more fun when you are with other people and they can help take photos!

But I would also consider a couple things:
-Which cruise would your dad most like to do? Would it make sense to do one solo and save the other to do with him?
-Are there any groups you are a part of who would also like one of those cruises, so you could get together other people for a dismeet-cruise?

Just to clarify - you can always request to be seated alone in the MDR. Not a guarantee, but they will try.

Palo or Remy you are never seated with others outside of your party. So “being seated with ‘strangers’” is not even an issue there.

I didn't mention it but during my second Disney Cruise my tablemates in the MDR where constant complainers so I a requested my own table and received it and ever since then I had always requested my own table in the MDR and received it.

I've ever been seated with anyone during my meals at Palo or Remy.

I didn't mention it but during my second Disney Cruise my tablemates in the MDR where constant complainers so I a requested my own table and received it and ever since then I had always requested my own table in the MDR and received it.

I've ever been seated with anyone during my meals at Palo or Remy.

Yes, that's what I was saying. The possibility exists in the MDRs. But Palo and Remy are set up as restaurants and as such your party is seated alone. There is no shared seating there.

If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend it. Personally, I prefer travelling solo, and am booked on an eight night Eastern Caribbean Royal Caribbean cruise in December :) I love sailing Disney with my family, but, honestly, I just can't afford to sail with DCL solo :(

That's okay, we are planning a 7 night Mediterranean cruise in summer 2019 on the Magic; something to look forward to!

Thank you everyone for your input so far. I'm still having a hard time deciding due to a couple reasons. Keep them coming though! You might just convince me. :D

I would vote for 4-night The Beauty and the Beast cruise. First, that show looks amazing, and I know how much you love theatre and music, so I would guess you're going to see both showings! Second, the 4-night will give you a chance to really tell how much you like complete solo cruising. I'm doing a solo cruise next Feb and decided to start with a 4-night (but that's also my first cruise, ever, so more trying out that whole experience entirely). I also feel like the SWDAS seems like more fun when you are with other people and they can help take photos!

But I would also consider a couple things:
-Which cruise would your dad most like to do? Would it make sense to do one solo and save the other to do with him?
-Are there any groups you are a part of who would also like one of those cruises, so you could get together other people for a dismeet-cruise?
You would be one who knows how much I like theater and music. :D

Thank you for those things to consider.

I have been on 17 Disney cruises, 3 of them solo.

The benefits of going solo:

1. Not waiting for anyone to get ready before I leave the room

2. Trying to relate he highlights of my day in a once a day email home

3. Just observing - being around a lot of people, but with no one.

I have done solo and non-solo Disney cruises. One of my favorite things is how easy it is to strike up a conversation with crew members. I love hearing about their homes and experiences on the ship. Disney guests are also really friendly.

In my mind, the only real drawback is the high single supplement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!