Solo Birthday Trip

Disneysolo

Earning My Ears
I’m so excited to go on my first solo trip at the end of May.
My family doesn’t understand and think I’m nuts. My son is an adult now and nobody I know has the desire to go so I’m taking myself for my 40th birthday.
I’m having trouble keeping their negativity from casting a shadow on my excitement. I like to plan and research everything, but they don’t want to hear another thing about it
I have a few concerns of my own and if I say anything to them they tell me that’s why I shouldn’t be going.
But I am going, it is booked already. I just don’t know how I’m going to get through the next 45 days either fielding their negativity or not talking about the trip. Part of the fun is the anticipation of going.

So fun!!!!! A solo trip where you can do everything you want and nothing you don't want sounds so amazing! Ignore the naysayers. Non one understands my Disney obsession either. I made a new rule recently... if you aren't 100% ready to have a magical time then you can stay home! Ha ha.

What are your concerns? I bet the DISers can help!

My concerns, where to start lol
I booked the Disneyland resort express to get from lax to my hotel and back, before I read the reviews, now I’m concerned about the dependability of it to get me back to the airport on time.
I would like to do character meets, but I’ve read about incidents where parents felt adults shouldn’t be taking up the characters time when there are children waiting.
I love taking pictures of my vacations and don’t know about having to ask strangers if they’d take a picture for me, like in front of the castle ect.
This one’s silly but I sunburn bad and I don’t know how I’m going to put sunscreen on my back lol.
That’s my main concerns, the rest is more indecision than anything.
I can’t decide if max pass will be worth it when I’m by myself and can use single rider lines and also get more done faster. On top of the fee for that I’d have to get a travel plan on my phone since I’m coming from Canada.
And I’m not sure if I should book the hungry bear diner to get the ticket for fantasmic or if the regular fast pass will be good enough.
That’s most of it right now.

I booked the Disneyland resort express to get from lax to my hotel and back, before I read the reviews, now I’m concerned about the dependability of it to get me back to the airport on time.>>>No experience here but I'm sure someone will chime in
I would like to do character meets, but I’ve read about incidents where parents felt adults shouldn’t be taking up the characters time when there are children waiting.>>>Don't give this a second thought! Hop in line and enjoy meeting the characters.
I love taking pictures of my vacations and don’t know about having to ask strangers if they’d take a picture for me, like in front of the castle ect.>>>Personally, I am always happy to take photos for people! I imagine I'm not the only one. Another option would be to get MaxPass for $10/day, which includes Photopass. Then the CM photographers can take professional photos for you!
This one’s silly but I sunburn bad and I don’t know how I’m going to put sunscreen on my back lol.>>>Two words: Spray sunscreen.
I can’t decide if max pass will be worth it when I’m by myself and can use single rider lines and also get more done faster. On top of the fee for that I’d have to get a travel plan on my phone since I’m coming from Canada.>>>I think it would be nice to have but it really depends on how much it would cost you to get the travel plan on your phone.
And I’m not sure if I should book the hungry bear diner to get the ticket for fantasmic or if the regular fast pass will be good enough.>>>Since you are alone and if you don't mind staking out a spot an hour-plus before the show and you don't mind standing for the duration of the show, just grab a fastpass. I have done Hungry Bear twice and I loved the seating on the ground but I didn't love the meal. It wasn't too expensive though. If I was alone I would probably splurge and do Blue Bayou though since I would only be paying for one!

I love taking pictures of my vacations and don’t know about having to ask strangers if they’d take a picture for me, like in front of the castle ect. - I've never minded taking others pics, and when I've asked them, people always say yes - don't worry!! (Also, I've seen the photographer castmembers taking photo's with individuals phones when asked)

This one’s silly but I sunburn bad and I don’t know how I’m going to put sunscreen on my back lol. I have a strap that I use sometimes (when I fly, can't take spray). If you are packing lotion vs buying a can of spray sunscreen at hotel/DL, look for a strap or this wood handle applicator: https://www.amazon.com/Kingsley-Lot...2630&sr=8-1&keywords=lotion+application+strap

I can’t decide if max pass will be worth it when I’m by myself and can use single rider lines and also get more done faster. On top of the fee for that I’d have to get a travel plan on my phone since I’m coming from Canada. I'd price this out to include the travel plan for your phone & see what you are comfortable with / if it seems worth it to you. Part of that will depend on # of days you are there & what rides are important, etc. When I go to the park solo, I still use max pass a lot - saves steps, get FP sooner, plus pics. If you don't get it, using the single rider lines will help - great plan!

Forget those negative Nellies!!! Come to the DIS when you need to chat. There are loads of social media outlets to enjoy when you are feeling excited or want to ask a question. Solo is fantastic and you are going to have a great time!!!

Happy Birthday from a May birthday girl who loves solo trips and can't wait to be solo in DLR very soon! You are not alone.

I’d do MaxPass at least for your first day-see if it’s worth the ten bucks a day after that. I think part of the joy is going by yourself is little splurges that are easier for one than they’d be for four or five.

And congratulations! I’m so envious.

I went solo for my birthday last year... except I got food poisoning from Carthay Circle and spent from 2am-4pm of my birthday in my hotel bathroom, so... not the best birthday ever. The other 3 days were awesome.

I’m so excited to go on my first solo trip at the end of May.
My family doesn’t understand and think I’m nuts. My son is an adult now and nobody I know has the desire to go so I’m taking myself for my 40th birthday.
I’m having trouble keeping their negativity from casting a shadow on my excitement. I like to plan and research everything, but they don’t want to hear another thing about it
I have a few concerns of my own and if I say anything to them they tell me that’s why I shouldn’t be going.
But I am going, it is booked already. I just don’t know how I’m going to get through the next 45 days either fielding their negativity or not talking about the trip. Part of the fun is the anticipation of going.

Have a great time and enjoy your Birthday at your favorite place. I would totally do a solo trip, just picture stopping and getting a dole whip (or whatever your favorite treat is) and sitting down and just enjoy yourself!! My last trip my friend traveling with me was sick one day so I spent the morning alone in the park. I went on a few rides got a coffee and walked around and just took it all in.

Jump on here and everyone will love to hear about your planning!!!

my family does not understand and my wife thinks I am nuts to spend the first Wednesday of every month at Disneyland, but it is written in black letters in the budget.

Evil characters love adults and watching those meets is fun, I will stop and watch the play of Evil characters and an adult. I have never read here of negative views about adults waiting in line for CM to snap a photo with character.

Photo sharing, find a couple, take their photo and 12 out of 10 visitors will offer to take the same photo of you.

I will not do maxpass because the few E-attractions I board are easy to pull regular system FP. RSR G-forces don't agree with me.

My best tips to single visitors, is that you can "snake" your way to the front door of Crush....and they have these attractions at Disneyland called Benches.

We used Disneyland Resort Express on our last trip and were very impressed. If you have time concerns, I would suggest you catch a trip that is earlier than you normally would and have a snack or meal at the airport while you wait for your flight.
As to your sunscreen concern, perhaps you could wear a thin white shirt over your clothes.
I wish you a lovely birthday.

I’m so excited to go on my first solo trip at the end of May...

Good for you! Go! You'll have a great time. That's the point, after all. If they can't/don't/won't understand, more fool them. I go by myself all the time and it's always a blast.

Make sure to get your free birthday button (at City Hall, Chamber of Commerce, most shops, some CMs, etc.) as soon as you can! Then ENJOY all the birthday wishes and magic from CMs and other guests during your entire trip. :)

There are various brands of clothing with UV protection built in, e.g. Solumbra or things on Amazon.com. You can get shirts, jackets, scarves, parasols, etc to help with sunscreen protection, in addition to the spray sunscreen already recommended. (Practice with the spray before your trip so you know how to get even coverage without missing spots -- sometimes it can be tricky when you can't clearly see what you're doing.)

Don't worry about M&Gs with characters. We do this all the time as 2 adults. With kids, it's a blast. As grown ups only, it's still a blast! If the characters see that you are into it, they'll get into it. And when they see your birthday button, they'll really get into it! We've never had any negativity from other parents at M&Gs or at character breakfasts. Quite the opposite, in fact -- when parents see how much fun we're having, they use us as examples to their kids to show how to act with the characters or to show how not scary it can be.

Leave the decision about MP until the day of. Keep watching the DLR app during the week before your visit to get an idea about wait times and how long FPs are lasting. This will help you decide whether you might need MP for your visit. If wait times aren't too bad and FPs are lasting a reasonable amount of time through the day, then doing the free FPs and SR lines might work well for you. There are several fairly recent threads on this forum about data plans from Canada -- you can search to see what other DISers have done regarding MP data usage.

As for a F! dining package, go for it! It's your birthday trip! Hungry Bear is fine (and you can also order off the regular menu if the package menu doesn't appeal to you -- but the package price will be the same). If you arrive at the viewing area early, you'll be able to sit just over the line from the BB area for much less money. But it you'd like to splurge, go for the BB meal -- the cushion is a nice souvenir. Having the reserved area is a very nice luxury when viewing F!

Last edited:
I did a solo day at Disneyland/Ca during a work conference trip.

The Disneyland resort express bus was totally fine for us but we never took it to LAX.

I asked Photopass photographers to take a few pictures of me (with my camera). Zero issues.

They make spray sunscreen :)

I enjoyed myself. It made me feel a little lonely and I missed DH, but it was also fun to do whatever I wanted. Take advantage of single rider lines but keep in mind they are not always faster than the regular line (Matterhorn I'm looking at you!).

I booked the Disneyland resort express to get from lax to my hotel and back, before I read the reviews, now I’m concerned about the dependability of it to get me back to the airport on time.
Leave early for your return trip just to be safe. I've had quick return trips, and I've had ones that took nearly 2 hours...
I would like to do character meets, but I’ve read about incidents where parents felt adults shouldn’t be taking up the characters time when there are children waiting.
I'm not a huge character person (I have bad social anxiety, so talking to a character that can't talk back to me makes me freak out that I'm doing something weird), but have done a few meets. The characters were sweet (Tigger gave me a huge hug and he and Pooh made kissy sounds!), and none of the parents and kids around me seemed annoyed by my presence at the meet.
I love taking pictures of my vacations and don’t know about having to ask strangers if they’d take a picture for me, like in front of the castle ect.
PhotoPass photographers will take your picture with your camera/phone (and if you do MaxPass, they will obviously take your picture with their camera). Bonus points--when it's been me on my own, they have often done 8-10 pictures of me, which is about double what they took when it was my family of 3. Other than the PP photogs, I rely on others to take my pictures. It's really easy; just walk up to a couple taking a selfie, and ask if they want you to take their picture. 90% of the time they offer to return the favor by taking my picture; the other 10% agree to do it when asked. It's equally effective if you find a family where Adult1 is taking a picture of Adult2 and the kids! I offer to take their picture as a family, and then ask if they will do a pic for me. I've actually never been turned down with this give-and-take!
This one’s silly but I sunburn bad and I don’t know how I’m going to put sunscreen on my back lol.
Spray sunscreen! You can get it in a 3oz aerosol-type spray that can be taken on airplanes if you are flying. I usually pack 2 of them, just to be sure that I have enough. It's not perfect, but I'm a pasty-white-to-lobster-red-in-an-hour-of-sun, and I can get it applied with the spray sunscreen to not burn.

I can’t decide if max pass will be worth it when I’m by myself and can use single rider lines and also get more done faster. On top of the fee for that I’d have to get a travel plan on my phone since I’m coming from Canada.
I do MaxPass even on my solo trips. There's only a few Single Rider Lines (Matterhorn, Indy, Grizzly, Goofy, Screamin', Splash, Radiator Springs Racers, Space Mountain), but additional FastPass attractions (Guardians, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Star Tours, Thunder Mountain) that I love to go on often, but don't have a SRL. So, for me, $10/day isn't a bad price to get to ride all those rides essentially as much as I want.
And I’m not sure if I should book the hungry bear diner to get the ticket for fantasmic or if the regular fast pass will be good enough.
I'd totally do the F! dining package at Hungry Bear! It's wonderful to have a good seat all ready for the show!

Some really good advice above-solo trips are awesome. Not a local, but half of my trips in the last 5 years have been solo/conference/workshop combos. I almost always book an extra day before or after a conference to get my Disney fix on. I think I have burned my Wife and Son a bit on Disney, my Daughter still loves it and joins me when not working as she is now in Long Beach.

I have still yet to use Maxpass so cannot help you on that-but have never even thought about it when going solo. Pulling regular FPs for headliners/single rider has always done me right. I really only notice I am alone when eating-but it doesn't bother me all that much. If you are interested in taking photos of Fantasmic, I would just pull a FP and dedicate some time to be up front for a rail seat. You won't be dead center-but they are still great spots. Not big into characters-but if you are paying to see them then who cares if you are solo.

The best part about going solo is you get to plan your whole day-or you can be spontaneous at any time! Have a magical time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter