Solo at a Value

Terk-1

Dreaming of Disney Cruising!
Have booked my next solo trip and decided to do this one at the All Star Movies to save some $$$. When I priced the MYW packages, it was a little more than $500 more to stay at the moderates. I've stayed at the Music (thought it was ok) and Pop (did not like this resort), but really like the Movies when I stayed there with family in 2001. When I booked my trip with AAA, she asked if I had any preferences. I told her that since I was going solo, I would like to get a room either in the Toy Story or Dalmations areas, as they are close to the main building. She said she would add this information into the reservation and confirm it with Disney for me. She also offered me a king bed if I wanted and I said sure.

How is this resort for a solo? Are the paths still pretty well lit? Would you have a room you would recommend? I noticed on Deb Will's site that they started renovations at the Movies in December 2004. Will these be done by December 2005? How is the Ducks pool? Is it quieter than the main pool? How is the bus service?

I don't know.

I loved Pop Century for my solo trip.

I have done All Star Music and it was fine too. They generally put more adults in Music than Movies.

On my solo trip, I stayed at Music. Pretty much the same. It was lit pretty well. I was in the Calypso building which was right next to the main building. It would be kind of noisey at night with the pool bar so close by and kids in the pool. But it wasn't that bad.

Not sure how it compares to movies though.

When I stayed at Music in January I walked over to Movies one night... I was curious to see if their food court had any differences. I thought the lighting was similar... It was a bit on the chilly side so there were only college students in the pool. The Ducks pool was empty. Based on my experience with Music I'd probably prefer the more distant pool area over the one near the food courts and bar. Unless you are planning on coming in after midnight I think there would be plenty of people about.

I didn't see any renovations going on but almost anything they would do would have to be done by now because its high season...plus the new celebration is starting.

I have stay solo in the Broadway Building at the Music. I thought it was great. Short walk through the rose garden to the food court. Very quiet and peaceful. Well lit.

I've been solo at Movies. You shouldn't have any problems there.

The Toy Story buildings are really close to the bus stops. I don't think it's worth it to request a specific room, but requesting a certain area might work. I like the building that's closest to the giant Buzz Lightyear.

Thanks for your inputs regarding this. I was looking at the Music, but I think I'm going to stick with the Movies. Where I've stayed in the Toy Story area before, I think I will have my travel agent make the request for the Dalmations area. This way it is still close to the main building, but also close to the quiet pool as well.

P.S. Made the deposit for my trip Saturday and the countdown has begun!! :jumping1: :cool1:

SpiceyCat

What did you think of the bus service for Pop Century? I've done ASM and Sports in the past and I'm thinking of trying POP next.

Deb

I stayed at POP during the week of July 4th 2004 and had no trouble with the bus they were many and seemed to add as need love the POP going in May and July again

they had GREAT bus transportation - my less wait at any WDW resorts - generally less than 10 minutes.

Some people get upset because this is the only bus stop. So they see the crowds and think they won't get on. Wrong!!!

lots of time when a bus is full another one will appear before this one is fully and ready to leave. Just need patience!!!

and going back at night - wonderful - there are a constant and I mean constant stream of buses for Pop century. We generally have to wait (stay at DVC resorts and deluxes) at least 10 to 25 minutes. No wait we came up to the bus stop (I set my watch to see how long we were going to wait) and a bus came up.....It was definitely WOnderful!!!

I just wish that Pop Century would open up that other part. I want to take Mother to it and since she is 82 - she won't be around awhole lot longer....

I want to see if the 20, 30, and 40 - mean as much to her - as the 50's do to me....

I just booked POP for a solo April 13-April 17. My daughter is going with her high school choir and staying off property. (they are driving 20 hours each way). I am flying and we will hook up when we want to.

Hello :wave2:

I was thinking of staying at Pop Century in May. If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you like it there? You and I are around the same age and from the same area, so I'm wondering if I might not like it either. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. :Pinkbounc

Marie

dahirsh said:
SpiceyCat

What did you think of the bus service for Pop Century? I've done ASM and Sports in the past and I'm thinking of trying POP next.

Deb

I think the busses at Pop work better than at the All-stars... frequently you get them trying to use one bus for a particular destination for two or even three of the All Star resorts at times, which almost inevitably leaves people at the last one in a standing room only situation... at POP, there's one line and seemingly more frequent busses.

Terk-1,

I stayed solo at Movies in the Dalmatians building and loved it. I felt comfortable and safe there with the well-lit paths. I did take advantage of the fact that the Music bus stop was not too far from the end of my building and would get off the bus there instead of riding all the way to the front of Movies on the way back from the parks. Also, the Mighty Ducks pool was quieter, but I there were a lot more smokers at that pool than the Fantasia pool which bothered me and my allergies.

Have fun! I think you'll enjoy it!

I was thinking of staying at Pop Century in May. If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you like it there? You and I are around the same age and from the same area, so I'm wondering if I might not like it either. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated
Sorry it took so long to post an answer to your question. We just did not feel it had the same "magic" as the Movies did. Also it's kinda spread out, so if you get a room in the 90's section, it's quite a walk to the main building. The foodcourt is also spread out with separate lines for everything. We found it packed most of the day during our stay. I think we just got more of a "Disney" feeling from our stay at the Movies, than our stay at Pop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter