Solar eclipse: Excited or just "meh"?

I'm on the fence. I realize that this is a big deal but I'm not real excited in spite of that. It might be because we're only getting a partial here.

THIS! I'm in the totality zone, work in a public library and have planned an outdoor watch party with seating, cold beverages and moon pies. We have been giving out free glasses for weeks now. Very excited!

Moon Pies! That's so smart, & I don't know why I didn't think of it! Thank you for the idea! That's what I'll give out in my little astronomy class too!

I'm taking off work for it, we are travelling about a hour north of us to get the 100%, have already bought the glasses for us and some cheap ones for the neighbors. I don't even remember the last one, senior moment I guess. We have had poor luck with events in the sky for the last 4 or 5 years, it's been cloudy each and every time, even in the middle of a drought so I'm thinking this will be no exception but hey, it gets me out of work and on a semi-trip with my honey.

It would be more convenient if the moon would have the courtesy to pass by on a weekend. ;) :p

Seriously, we're in an 80% area, which is good enough for me, but I'll be working that day and will likely even forget to look outside when the moon passes by. :o

I'm not excited by it, but I might step outside for a minute if it crosses my mind.

If you can't, or won't, make it outside for the Eclipse, and you have The Science Channel, they're offering coverage of the event all day that day. I imagine they'll have reporters all over the country. I'll be "reporting" from Sainte Genevieve, Missouri. For my own YouTube channel, not The Science Channel, lol.

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone, especially anyone in the path of totality, cannot be excited about this!
Think about that for a minute. You're not standing in the shadow of a tree or a building. You're standing in the shadow of the moon! THE MOON! THE MOON IS COVERING THE SUN AND PLUNGING THE EARTH INTO DARKNESS FOR TWO MINUTES! ...

See, in my mind, given the sun gives off light, given the earth orbits around the sun, and that the moon orbits around the earth, it makes perfect sense that every so often the moon is going to get between the earth and the sun and cast a shadow. Just happens. When it happens during our nighttime we don't even notice it. To me, witnessing an eclipse is rather like driving slowly through a tunnel, and just about as exciting, only with the tantalizing possibility of permanent eye damage!

I'm sorry I erred earlier and said the maximum dark time was going to be about 90 seconds. It's actually about 170 seconds. My mistake.

(Don't get me wrong, I know it's a rarity, and if it's your kind of rarity then more power to you, but it's just not the kind of rarity that floats my boat. I don't make a pilgrimage when corpse flowers bloom, either. However, if I hear about a Jubilee nearby, I'm on it like white on rice.)

Last edited:
I'm excited and very much looking forward to it! It's a solar frickin' eclipse! How cool is that?!

People today can get so excited over completely inane media and sports junk. It's just sad if they can't appreciate a relatively rare astronomical event.

I've been disappointed before by relatively rare astronomical events. Halley's comet was a bust, so was one about 10 years after that. Anybody remember the hype about Comet Kohoutek in the 1970's? I expect that conditions in a scattered 50% of the area of totality will be less than optimal and people will be saying "That's it?????"

So, yeah, a big meh for me.

I'm excited because I've never seen one before. At the same time I'm not liking the idea of crowds... So basically, I want to see it, but I won't cry if I don't.

The only thing I'll face crowds for is Disney. And if I miss a chance to be at Disney, then I'll cry. :laughing:

We were in the area of totality in 1979. I'm on team meh. That one was a lot of fuss about nothing IME. I'm certainly planning to look outside, but have no plans to be wowed. I'm not in an area of totality, but we're expecting over 90%.

We will be in a partial viewing area. I'm not that thrilled but will definitely look if it's visible!

What time of day is the eclipse? Is it around 2:30 pm EST?

As a kid I was so excited and remember it getting dark during the day. The build up was intense, when over I remember thinking..that was it? My expectation was more than what I thought afterward. Similar to being young and hearing all about NYE, I begged to stay up. One year, my mom said okay and again, thought "that was it? This is the excitement?? Truthfully, I feel the same way as an adult. LOL

I think it's cool especially since we are in the path of totality. We wouldn't travel to go see it though. DS should be starting school that day but they are waiting until Tuesday since they are expecting so many tourists and traffic because of it. I will definitely go outside to get out of work for a few minutes to see it I love the idea of moon pies! I may just have to copy that and bring some to my co-workers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter