Solar eclipse: Excited or just "meh"?

NotUrsula

DIS Veteran
I was a senior in HS when the last major eclipse happened, and lived in a full-eclipse area at the time. I remember at the time what a big deal was made of it. We all built little viewing boxes at school, and got out of class to watch it. So I saw it, and honestly, just wasn't all that wowed by it. It got dark for 10 minutes in the middle of the day. Odd, yes, but just not one of the "wow" moments of my life.

So now we're having another one, and I'm not feeling special about this one. Again, I live very close to an area of full eclipse. People around me are obsessed with seeing it, but I'm not really excited about it at all and probably will not bother with trying to view it.

Anyone else?

Personally I'm not super excited. I'm more excited to see the reaction of my students.

I was a senior in HS when the last major eclipse happened, and lived in a full-eclipse area at the time. I remember at the time what a big deal was made of it. We all built little viewing boxes at school, and got out of class to watch it. So I saw it, and honestly, just wasn't all that wowed by it. It got dark for 10 minutes in the middle of the day. Odd, yes, but just not one of the "wow" moments of my life.

So now we're having another one, and I'm not feeling special about this one. Again, I live very close to an area of full eclipse. People around me are obsessed with seeing it, but I'm not really excited about it at all and probably will not bother with trying to view it.

Anyone else?

I am not excited either but let's talk about it getting dark for how long does it stay for

How long it stays dark (or close to dark) depends on how close you are to the direct path of the shadow. Even in the very center of the path of the shadow, it won't be completely dark for more than about 90 seconds. The entire process from the start of the shadow until it completely passes takes about 2 hours. In most places the light level will be about like it is on a very cloudy day for most of that time.

I'm excited and very much looking forward to it! It's a solar frickin' eclipse! How cool is that?!

People today can get so excited over completely inane media and sports junk. It's just sad if they can't appreciate a relatively rare astronomical event.

Emoji-Movie-Meh.png

I'm kind of in the middle on it. I'll likely go outside and watch the eclipse. I was even thinking of making a pinhole solar box, similar to what I made as a kid during an eclipse.

More than anything though I'll likely be more excited to hear what my nephews thought of the event. I recently give them a telescope, and while that shouldn't be used to view it! I can imagine their interest in astronomy is higher than before.

Last edited:
Last year on Aug 21 me and dh and a couple friends decided we would travel to see it but our plans changed and dh and I are not able to go so I'm a little bummed. I do plan on watching it from our place on top of a mountain so I think we will still see it pretty good (about 68%) coverage. So to answer the OP, I'm excited.

meh. There's another one in 7 years.

For those of you thinking about building the box thing, I saw Lowe's had eclipse glasses for <$2.

The pessimist in me is sure it's going to be cloudy that day... otherwise, I'd be more excited.

I was in school when the last one happened and it was pretty cool. We're in the 85%-ish area for this one. If I was guaranteed a clear day, I'd consider traveling to the totality area, but I'm not going to travel.

We are excited & already have our glasses.

My DD has had it marked on her calendar for over a year, & our younger DS is taking astronomy for his science class this year.

I plan to make solar eclipse viewing boxes w/ the astronomy class on the morning of 8/21, & then we'll be traveling about an hour to be in the 100% totality viewing area.

How long it stays dark (or close to dark) depends on how close you are to the direct path of the shadow. Even in the very center of the path of the shadow, it won't be completely dark for more than about 90 seconds. The entire process from the start of the shadow until it completely passes takes about 2 hours. In most places the light level will be about like it is on a very cloudy day for most of that time.

We will have 2 minutes 30 seconds of totality.

meh. There's another one in 7 years.

For those of you thinking about building the box thing, I saw Lowe's had eclipse glasses for <$2.

Yes but that path is very different. The path of Totality will not go west of Texas in the United States.

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone, especially anyone in the path of totality, cannot be excited about this!

Look, we are on a rock, hurtling through space. Thanks to the sun, moon, and earth beating one-in-a-trillion odds to be where they are in relation to each other, life evolved on this rock we call earth. About once every 18 months, the moon, sun, and earth line up in just such a way as to put some part of the earth in some part of the moon's shadow.

That is amazing!

Think about that for a minute. You're not standing in the shadow of a tree or a building. You're standing in the shadow of the moon! THE MOON! THE MOON IS COVERING THE SUN AND PLUNGING THE EARTH INTO DARKNESS FOR TWO MINUTES!

I'm sorry, but every word of that sentence sends chills down my spine.

This is not a "meh" event. This is a once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event. I shan't miss it.

Last edited:
I'm excited and very much looking forward to it! It's a solar frickin' eclipse! How cool is that?!

People today can get so excited over completely inane media and sports junk. It's just sad if they can't appreciate a relatively rare astronomical event.

THIS! I'm in the totality zone, work in a public library and have planned an outdoor watch party with seating, cold beverages and moon pies. We have been giving out free glasses for weeks now. Very excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter