Soarin and Test Track at rope drop, long waits?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Planning to do Epcot on 3/31. I got a fast pass for Frozen because we have never rode Frozen. I am planning to just go and do Soarin and Test Track at rope drop. How doable is this plan regarding Soarin and Test Track without hoping to have extremely long waits?

We did one rope drop this past December with the same plan. We were at Beach Club so we used IG to enter the park. We headed straight to TT and it was down lol. So off th FEA we went then we headed back to TT and it opened within minutes so no wait. I think Soarin will be fine at RD.

Best way to hit the big three:

Rope drop TT, go right to FEA and do standby, then FP+ Soarin'. You could also rope drop Soarin', then walk quickly to FEA for standby and then FP+ TT. Either works great. So if possible, I'd try hard to trade FEA for Soarin' or TT.

If you can't, then I'd rope drop TT, go walk quickly to Soarin', then do FEA standby. The downside to that is you'll do a lot of walking.

I do Soarin first because it takes a bit for the 3 sections of the theater to fill up. Usually out by 910 at the latest............then off to TT , preferably in the single rider line. I don't feel the need to endure the delay to "design" my car. I just want to ride!

edit: I failed to mention......the wait at TT at about 910-915am is not a big deal unless it was broken at 9am and had not been running for the past 15 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Soarin' doesn't have nearly the waits it used to ever since the 3rd theater was added.

I'd say RD TT first and then head to Soarin' and you'll do pretty good on time.

Soarin' is also pretty easy to get a 4th FP+ for in comparison to TT if you want to go that route.

Our plan is RD TT and pick up a 4th FP for Soaring. Soaring is a faster loader, so even if you can't get a 4th FP, the line still goes quicker.

OP---Important to note: odds are higher that TT will be broken at 9am than Soarin. It stinks to hike all the way over to TT only to be told it is down.....and then have to decide if you want to double time it all the way to Soarin.

Having the FP for FEA makes the first 15 minutes of your morning pretty easy to deal with. You will got both rides done early in the morning.....but that chance of TT being down at 9am is a factor you need to be prepared to deal with.

OP---Important to note: odds are higher that TT will be broken at 9am than Soarin. It stinks to hike all the way over to TT only to be told it is down.....and then have to decide if you want to double time it all the way to Soarin.

Having the FP for FEA makes the first 15 minutes of your morning pretty easy to deal with. You will got both rides done early in the morning.....but that chance of TT being down at 9am is a factor you need to be prepared to deal with.

I have RD'd TT more times than I can count and there have been very very few times its been down at RD and when it did happen it was for a few minutes not nearly as long as it ends up being down mid day due to rain etc so personally I'd take my chances if I were OP.

I'd do the FP for TT for the "ride is down" reason too. Our last trip, it was down both mornings we rope dropped Epcot. The first time we had a fast pass, so not a big deal, we rode later in the day. The second time ...sucked. My kids were in the first group at rope drop, designed the car, and went out to the place where you wait to be seated in the car. And 50 minutes later the ride finally opened.

My experience with Test Track is that it is more frequently down than other rides, and is effected by rain, so FP is needed.

Planning to do Epcot on 3/31. I got a fast pass for Frozen because we have never rode Frozen. I am planning to just go and do Soarin and Test Track at rope drop. How doable is this plan regarding Soarin and Test Track without hoping to have extremely long waits?

I would RD TT depending on your FEA FP time. Then go over and do Soarin' on standby. As a few have said, since the new theater has been added, the standby line isn't bad at all. You do it this way, it stops you from having to backtrack across the park. I always keep FEA and TT together since those two are on the same side of the park. Then I go to Soarin where my tier 2 FP rides will also be.

Ok, why in the world is TT down at 9 a.m. a lot? What is up with that? And if it is down at 9 a.m., would that be noted it the Disney app?

Don’t forget the single rider line for TT if you don’t mind splitting up the group. The single-rider line moves quickly.

The ultimate best way is to get a Garden Grill reservation for anytime between 8:00 am and 8:55 am as long as the park opens at 9:00 am that day. No matter what time in that hour your reservation is, be at the gate and past the bag check and in the pre park breakfast line no later than 7:40. You will enter and check into the restaurant and they will go ahead and seat you. Have your server bring your check and go ahead and take care of the bill/tip etc. Soarin is right by Garden Grill restaurant. They start letting people on the ride Soarin at 7:45. We rode Soarin twice and then made a bee line to frozen and had a fast pass for Test Track. Worked like a charm.

Ok, why in the world is TT down at 9 a.m. a lot? What is up with that? And if it is down at 9 a.m., would that be noted it the Disney app?

We were there in early Jan and it was down at opening for about 45 min, but could hear cars shooting around the whole time we waited. Heard one CM say it was due to condensation on the track, and they would keep the test-runs up until it was good to open.
Have no idea if what I heard was true our not, but considering the time of year, temperature, and moisture in the air it sounded as good as any other explanation I could think of.
And yes, while I was standing there waiting the MDE app did note the attraction was down.
:goodvibes

Last edited:
It's not, unless there's a weather issue...or guest who does something they shouldn't.
I have been there when it is down at opening a couple times. I feel like it is because they are running safety checks or something. (This is just my feeling and not based on fact.) In my mind I am always wondering why they don't have people there earlier to get that ride ready.:confused3

But I too think TT is the best to start with at RD.

So.... if you have a FP for TT from 9-10am and it is down, the FP will then become an Anytime FP? So does this mean you are then able to book another Tier 1 FP as soon as that occurs?

Thanks,

I know we were there in January, I was able to get 2 FP for Soarin. The second one after we used our 3. I also feel with the 3rd "track" with Soarin added, it's reduced the wait times and Test Track is longer.

But here are your 2 options:

Either rope drop Test Track, and when you are done with all your FP, see if you get your additional FP for Soarin.

Or do Soarin at rope drop, and do the single rider for Test Track.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter