So you're walking down the street in LA (Not for the squeamish!)

Horrifying! The link no longer works, but out of curiosity, does anyone know when this took place? We visited LA back in May and walked by many homeless on the street, so I'm envisioning it. What a scary and disgusting incident.

Horrifying! The link no longer works, but out of curiosity, does anyone know when this took place? We visited LA back in May and walked by many homeless on the street, so I'm envisioning it. What a scary and disgusting incident.
Apparently 7 months ago.

A Los Angeles woman said she has been suffering from PTSD for seven months

Removing the attached stigma is also a step in the right direction.
I don't think it is so much stigma now a days as proper medicating, convincing them to stay on their medication, and drug and alcohol treatment. Another is access. Everyone wants to help you once you are homeless, but no one wants to assist if you are working and you can no longer afford your medication or doctor visits. It is a vicious cycle. Many get sober, get on their meds, once they graduate from programs the assistance dries up or becomes scares. Then the medication runs out and they turn to drugs or alcohol again. It will take some difficult decisions and funding.

I think it’s fair to say if you’re mentally ill, living on the street, & pouring crap on ppl’s heads, you are no longer worried about stigma. The bigger issues are funding & deinstitutionalization.
I don't think it is so much stigma now a days as proper medicating, convincing them to stay on their medication, and drug and alcohol treatment. Another is access. Everyone wants to help you once you are homeless, but no one wants to assist if you are working and you can no longer afford your medication or doctor visits. It is a vicious cycle. Many get sober, get on their meds, once they graduate from programs the assistance dries up or becomes scares. Then the medication runs out and they turn to drugs or alcohol again. It will take some difficult decisions and funding.
Guess I wasn't too clear on that. Not stigma as it directly related to this case but as one of the many things that need to be fixed with health and mental health care in this country. There is still alot of discrimination around seeking help.

Guess I wasn't too clear on that. Not stigma as it directly related to this case but as one of the many things that need to be fixed with health and mental health care in this country. There is still alot of discrimination around seeking help.
I live in California. We are a very mental health seeking friendly state. The problem in California is not finding it, it is affording it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter