So, what's the strangest/silliest thing TSA has taken from you?

Seriously? You can't see how those forks could be used as a weapon!?!? They're made to skewer things like meat. It wouldn't take much to put those through somebody's neck.

If you had seen the 'weapon' a patient used on my wife and almost killed her you'd understand and it was a lot less substantial than that. And he put it through her arm first.

Wish you had used a better examples for a lighthearted thread than something that obviously could be used and should be flagged by the TSA.

You're joking, right? It wasn't those exact fondue forks, I posted the picture as an example of what fondue forks look like. The forks in the set we were giving were much less substantial than those, and in fact were FORKS. Thin forks with thin tines. A sharpened pencil could be used by the right person to stab someone, or even a ball point pen and they're still allowed on planes. These were tiny, little forks, not nearly as sharp as the ones in the picture seem to be, and yes, I think it was ridiculous.

I am sorry your wife was attacked at work. My mom once suffered a serious injury at work from someone who bit her savagely. That doesn't mean that I think that anyone with teeth shouldn't be allowed on an airplane.

As above I think it’s a bit arbitrary- but I tent to give the agents a break about a waterpik or whatever. They’re looking for a needle in a haystack with very little to go on.

One person looks at a screen of the xray and it shows colors or patterns. They’re taught that certain colors or patterns COULD be a bomb/weapon/whatever. So the waterpick or whatever showed the wrong colors and it freaked them out. It’s happened to me with books stacked the wrong way, or with a little stone globe trinket I picked up for my kid once. The people looking to terrorize us have learned to use ‘normal items’ like toner cartridges, shoes, water bottles, or even underwear to make bombs. If you are the TSA agent and someone comes through with a waterpik that shows the right pattern are you going to be the one to just say “ah never mind it’s a waterpik” and let it go. I wouldn’t.

That said- once they swabbed it a pile of times and nothing came back bad in the scanner they should have gotten over it quick. But who knows, maybe there is something in mouthwash /toothpaste/waterpik spit that has a signature similar to explosives and the swabs kept getting ‘inconclusive’ results? So now you’re a TSA agent charged with saving lives, making 15 dollars an hour (or whatever they get) and you have a thing that looks like a waterpik but it showed the xray agent the ‘wrong pattern’ and now the swab machine refuses to clear it. I’d be a little freaked too.

Sorry, the post title didn't copy. It was " the system is silly but they are just doing their job." That "...just doing their job" acquiescence is the problem. Particularly when the Airport Security Screeners power trip as they did in this situation.

You're joking, right? It wasn't those exact fondue forks, I posted the picture as an example of what fondue forks look like. The forks in the set we were giving were much less substantial than those, and in fact were FORKS. Thin forks with thin tines. A sharpened pencil could be used by the right person to stab someone, or even a ball point pen and they're still allowed on planes. These were tiny, little forks, not nearly as sharp as the ones in the picture seem to be, and yes, I think it was ridiculous.

I am sorry your wife was attacked at work. My mom once suffered a serious injury at work from someone who bit her savagely. That doesn't mean that I think that anyone with teeth shouldn't be allowed on an airplane.

Think of the panic a pax with earphones or a laptop plugged into a power port or any number of items carried by a business traveller sitting behind someone could cause . . . The cords could easily be used as a garrote.

Sorry, the post title didn't copy. It was " the system is silly but they are just doing their job." That "...just doing their job" acquiescence is the problem. Particularly when the Airport Security Screeners power trip as they did in this situation.

Where others see evil, i attempt to put myself in their situation and figure out what they MIGHT have been thinking. And while it's not what i would have been thinking in general I figure some poor schlub making 25k probably doesn't think the way i do. And so i do make a leap of faith that people aren't inherently evil but might have harmless (albeit stupid) reasons for their behavior.

So where you see powertrip, i see clueless half trained agents scared to death of a silly household item because of some moronic training they received. All because the TSA can't have a worthwhile program where they ask real questions of people because that might offend someone her in America and they instead have moronic rules where myself, my wife, and my 2 toddlers get pulled out of line because no one can make a judgement.

(the supervisor on the other hand is a problem and should feel the full wrath of whoever wants to hand it out)

edit- boy, who knew the disboards were such a hotbed of political discussion. It's kind of funny lately how that is. life is good.

Where others see evil, i attempt to put myself in their situation and figure out what they MIGHT have been thinking. And while it's not what i would have been thinking in general I figure some poor schlub making 25k probably doesn't think the way i do. And so i do make a leap of faith that people aren't inherently evil but might have harmless (albeit stupid) reasons for their behavior.

So where you see powertrip, i see clueless half trained agents scared to death of a silly household item because of some moronic training they received. All because the TSA can't have a worthwhile program where they ask real questions of people because that might offend someone her in America and they instead have moronic rules where myself, my wife, and my 2 toddlers get pulled out of line because no one can make a judgement.

(the supervisor on the other hand is a problem and should feel the full wrath of whoever wants to hand it out)

Even with poor supervision, on second thought, especially because of the lack of supervision, the lower ranks don't get a pass. While they catch some weapons, they have not caught a device that could bring down an airliner.

As far as Airport Security Screeners asking "real questions," in over a decade with all the searches and restrictions, there has been no "big catch" at an airport passenger screening checkpoint. No shoe bomber, no underwear bomber, no pressure cooker bomber. That's the real goal of anti-terrorism . . . to find bad people before they get bad things on an airplane . . . No just to find bad things. To the extent DHS has been successful, it's due to investigations in the community and not due to the Airport Security Screeners.

Nope just the bare part of my legs.:rotfl::confused3 The parts that were covered with clothes weren't touched.

Perhaps your legs just looked silky smooth and irresistable to touch ;)

Last year ME forgot about our resort and we nearly missed our flight. So we were quite rushed when we arrived at security. They were taking laptops and tablets and other electronic gadgets aside to be swabbed which was fine..... Except that I forgot to put it back in my bag when we were done with security and only remembered when we got to the gate :crazy2: The reason for my distraction was my fascination that another passenger's bag was taken aside and they pulled out this teeny tiny tube of toothpaste (like those one squirt things they give on longhaul flights) and took it away from him as he had not put it into a clear bag.

Well I did get my laptop back (ran back and they had it there for me!) but the best part is that we got back home and realized that in our haste with trying to make our flight I had dumped 4 of those large bottles of Fuze juice into our lunch bag which we had intended to drink while waiting to board) in our bag with our sandwiches and nobody had batted an eyelid. Not only that, but we had a connecting flight so it went through another security checkpoint as well - and again not mentioned. Yet the guy with his excuse for a toothpaste tube .....

I almost got confiscated ;) We had an early morning flight to DL, I was wearing the 6mo baby, DH was walking the 3yo. The baby was asleep in a carrier, so I asked if I could walk through the scanner with him. They agreed if I would do additional screening.

Well, any parent knows you don't want to wake a sleeping baby, so I was totally okay with the additional screening. They tested my hands and BOOM. I came up positive for explosives. I was like ***??

Baby was still sleeping, just fwiw. So they take us all in the back room so they can test us all again with a better machine. In the interim, we realized that I'm probably coming up positive because DH reloads ammo and at that point he was doing it the garage, opening the inner garage door to the house and then washing his hands. We figured there might be residue on the door handle.

Thankfully, we had enough time, and once we explained and they tested us all again, they let us go and told us to have fun at DL :)

Even with poor supervision, on second thought, especially because of the lack of supervision, the lower ranks don't get a pass. While they catch some weapons, they have not caught a device that could bring down an airliner.

As far as Airport Security Screeners asking "real questions," in over a decade with all the searches and restrictions, there has been no "big catch" at an airport passenger screening checkpoint. No shoe bomber, no underwear bomber, no pressure cooker bomber. That's the real goal of anti-terrorism . . . to find bad people before they get bad things on an airplane . . . No just to find bad things. To the extent DHS has been successful, it's due to investigations in the community and not due to the Airport Security Screeners.
You have some good points (at times ;)) but this isn't one of them. Saying "there has been no 'big catch'" as a slam against TSA? How many flights have been hijacked since they were put in place? Isn't that a more telling stat than "they haven't caught a device"?

You have some good points (at times ;)) but this isn't one of them. Saying "there has been no 'big catch'" as a slam against TSA? How many flights have been hijacked since they were put in place? Isn't that a more telling stat than "they haven't caught a device"?

No. How often did it happen in the US before the. Thousands Standing Around.

Are we safer now then per 9/11? Sure. But it is due to real law enforcement not poorly trained thugs

I'm in 100% agreement.

But I'm saying the $15 an hour screener isn't the root of the problem- the whole system is a mess. It's not the poor schlub trying to feed his family that is the problem it's the politicians and the higher ups that are at fault.

The guy is taught something akin to 'if the screen shows red pull the people aside and swab their bags till the analyzer clears it. Dont let the people talk or touch the object in question. blah blah.'

If the powers that be really cared about screening they would ditch the current dog and pony show and do something like the isrealis do- where they speak to every passenger and asked them more than "did you pack your own bag"- our way lets on shoe bombs, underwear bombs, and the like while they stop grandma from knitting on the plane- how many bombs have gotten on El Al flights in recent decades?

But what's the bottom rung guy supposed to do - say "no this is stupid checking waterpiks for explosives, I'm not going to do it, of course this lady with her kids going to disney isn't the problem"? then what- get fired from the $15 an hour job he has and has to go work at the walmart for $10?

What OCC said . . .

and just sayin'' that the silliness of confiscating an item because it isn't in a Baggie is just dumb and distracts the Airport Security Screeners from worthwhile work. And maybe a little more time for better training and improved supervision.

I had a large chunk of quartz in my carry-on and, of course, it triggered a secondary. The TSA guy called his supervisor over.

I said "I'm sure it's the rock in my bag, yes?"

The supervisor said, "Yes, it's a rock, but I have to look at it. Besides, I told him the next time he called me over to look at a rock, I was going to take it out and beat him with it..."

I had no idea that there were TSA agents with a sense of humor.

Right after 9/11, my sister got her fingernail clippers confiscated upon boarding a cruise ship. She was pretty ticked off when she found fingernail clippers for sale in the gift shop on the ship. I mean, what did they think she was going to do? Grab the captain and threaten to clip his nails too short if he didn't sail us to Cuba?

The weirdest two things that have delayed us at security? A carburetor and a can of Pringles, on separate trips. I knew in advance they'd be minutely checking the carburetor, but what I'd never thought of before then was that Pringles cans have a foil lining...

The supervisor said, "Yes, it's a rock, but I have to look at it. Besides, I told him the next time he called me over to look at a rock, I was going to take it out and beat him with it..."

I had no idea that there were TSA agents with a sense of humor.

:rotfl: FWIW, almost all the TSA agents I've ever dealt with have had a great sense of humor.

Even the nonsensical ones.

Wish you had used a better examples for a lighthearted thread than something that obviously could be used and should be flagged by the TSA.

FWIW, I took the fork thing to be an example of a *strange thing* that TSA didn't let through. Not that it made no sense, just that it was a strange thing.

My mom had nutella type spread taken coming back from belgium. the bad part is that she bought it at duty free so it should have cleared. very disapointing.

When did it get confiscated then?

Wow! What airport was that? They acted like they had never seen a waterpik before.

I bet there are MANY people who haven't seen a waterpik before. I haven't used one since the 80s. I hadn't seen one since then until a few months ago when we saw one at Costco. And we stopped to look at it because I truly thought they weren't being made anymore, and because my son had absolutely NO idea what it was. He was utterly fascinated by it. And he wouldn't have seen it still if we didn't have the habit of going up and down all aisles at costco even on a quick trip.

I bet they really had not ever seen one.

People who have no issues with TSA have never been separated from their child in line.

They aren't supposed to separate you from your child. It nearly happened with us; DH's shorts zipper set off the metal detector and he was taken off. Then what turned out to be my 1.5 inch totally normal and common Goody brand barrette set off the metal detector and after a few times going through without knowing what was causing it, they were pulling me aside and away from my little dude. I was telling them *wait, my child is here* when my favorite fellow passenger ever (total stranger) told me that I had a metal barrette in. I took it out really quick, tossed it into a bin to go through the xray, and walked through one more. No alarm. No separation. Whew.

But I have no doubt they would have listened to me.

You have very weird experiences. I have the Irish face that gets me "you look just like my old friend..." every time, with hair that can be almost any color except for black depending on the light, etc etc, and I only rarely get pulled out of line. Weirdly, my husband is biracial as well, caucasian and Korean, though most people guessing would say he's Mexican. He used to get pulled out but now he doesn't. He doesn't even though he travels for work as a product tester and often has upwards of 12 electronic devices on him, some of which aren't actually on the market yet, and I think he's only been taken to a back room once since 2009.

I hope that for the more egregious ones you have actually made official complaints. Because that's a weird set of things. They took his shoes? That doesn't even make sense to me.

It wasn't taken from me but it got me pulled aside and this was long before 9/11. I had a woven metal belt that I had coiled up and due to it being a rather expensive accessory I had packed it in my carry on. When my bag went through the Xray it was flagged and the agent asked who's bag it was and what was inside. I said I had nothing but clothes and toiletries. He then asked me about the .......handcuffs..... and what they were for. :rotfl2: They thought my belt was a set of handcuffs :rotfl2: I opened the bag showed them the belt and they all started to laugh.

Which reminds me of my story from 2000, when I was traveling home from my stepdad's, having buried my mom and having avoided going back home to my sad and lonely momless life as long as I could. I had taken all of her jewelry; some "real" and some just pretty stuff. She had them in her very wide dresser drawer in wooden wine boxes cut down, and they were stacked in my carry on.

Of course the security lady noticed all the metal. Asked what it was as she opened the bag. I said that I had just inherited all of my mom's jewelry.

And she tells me how lucky I was.

:sad2:

I felt no fear of reminding her that I had *inherited* them, which means she had died, and the security lady closed up the bag and let me on through.

Nothing yet, but I'm just waiting for the day they keep my teenage son's shoes. He wears a size 19, and every time they are sent through the scanner, they have to stop an examine them.

Ever consider urging him to wear flipflops through security?

Ever consider urging him to wear flipflops through security?[/QUOTE]

We would, but we can never find any in his size. As it is, we have to special order his shoes. It's a real pain, so I'm not going to be happy if they keep his shoes one of these days like they did in one of the previous posts.

The airport was Rochester and ours was the first flight out in the morning.

The really strange thing was that I also had needles and vials of medication in my carry-on and these items were never even looked at.

Once we arrived in Orlando (and after sharing my experience with my husband and several close by passengers), it was suggested that I go to the TSA office once we landed. I did. My husband went to baggage claim so I went alone. After briefly listening to me, the female agent at the desk said "so what do you want?" I said reimbursement for the Waterpik and the names of the TSA officers who confiscated it. I told her the airport was really small and we were the first flight out, so it should be easy to identify who was working.

She told me to take a seat.

After 30 minutes my husband found me still waiting and sat next to me. Finally another male TSA came out and asked me to step inside another room. My husband started to join me and he was asked "did you witness any of this?" UMMM ... no .. he said they would not allow him in the room. He said "but I did witness my wife packing the Warerpik". The agent frowned and pointed me to the room.

The agent asked me to sit and he kind of hovered over me (even though he could have sat in the chair behind the desk). I said "do I fill out a form, or how does this work?" He said " do you really want to get someone fired?"

Yup, my jaw dropped. I said "no, but I paid $40 for the Waterpik and I want to be reimbursed for it. I do not want the Waterpik back. I don't want anyone fired but I don't want anyone else going through this either".

He said nothing, left, and came back with a 4 page form for me to fill out. I looked at it and got up to leave. He says "where are you going with that?" I said I would fill it out later and mail it in. He said that if I wanted to fill out a claim it had to be done here as "Rochester airport uses private screening services" and has a unique claims process.

Ugh! I took a moment, said "forget it", and left. I had wasted enough time.

No. How often did it happen in the US before the. Thousands Standing Around.

Are we safer now then per 9/11? Sure. But it is due to real law enforcement not poorly trained thugs

What OCC said . . .

and just sayin'' that the silliness of confiscating an item because it isn't in a Baggie is just dumb and distracts the Airport Security Screeners from worthwhile work. And maybe a little more time for better training and improved supervision.
Someone let authorities know they can shut down the TSA because no one will try to attempt a hijacking anymore. :thumbsup2

I have gotten pulled aside a couple of times for my portable iphone charger. It's shaped like a lipstick container, and I can see how it looks suspicious. They've always given it back though.

Oddly enough, this past summer we went to Costa Rica and the day after our return home, I was unpacking all our bags and came across a full 20oz water bottle on the bottom of one of the backpacks under some dirty clothes. This came on the plane with us and made it through security:scared: Obviously we were unaware it was there. I had personally gone through all the bags and packed the night before, but missed one of the compartments in the backpack. I was mortified at the thought of one of my kids getting "caught" with this in their bag and still can't believe it got through.

I have gotten pulled aside a couple of times for my portable iphone charger. It's shaped like a lipstick container, and I can see how it looks suspicious. They've always given it back though.

Oddly enough, this past summer we went to Costa Rica and the day after our return home, I was unpacking all our bags and came across a full 20oz water bottle on the bottom of one of the backpacks under some dirty clothes. This came on the plane with us and made it through security:scared: Obviously we were unaware it was there. I had personally gone through all the bags and packed the night before, but missed one of the compartments in the backpack. I was mortified at the thought of one of my kids getting "caught" with this in their bag and still can't believe it got through.

No problem, water isn't dangerous.

Someone let authorities know they can shut down the TSA because no one will try to attempt a hijacking anymore. :thumbsup2

That's really a great leap of exaggeration. Don't get mired and distracted by the minutia . . . That's the problem that Airport Security Screeners have when they focus on baggies and safe products in only partly filled containers. And why they repeatedly fail the "Red Team" tests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!