• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So what's the attendance REALLY like on NYE?

Karenj2

Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!
DH and I made a last minute decision to be on the West Coast between Christmas and NYE, and the only day we'll be near Disneyland will be *on* NYE or NYDay... Will it be absolutely horribly crowded at DL?

Please be honest.

You will need to arrive before 11:00 am if you plan to be inside Disneyland at midnight. If you leave, you won't be admitted back in.

It doesn't always reach capacity on NYE. It really depends on the whether. I have friends who arrived at the park last NYE about 3 or 4pm. There were no limitations on entering, but it had been raining all day. They said the park was pretty deserted and stayed that way all night.

When I've been on NYE, it has been packed, but I didn't try to leave and come back, so I don't know if it reached capacity or not.

Been several times on NY day and never had any problem leaving and coming back in the afternoon.

I guess it all comes down to what kind of experience you want. If you go on NYE, you do take the risk of not getting back in if you take a break. The evening festivities are a lot of fun. But how much would you really enjoy them if you spend the whole day in the park. You'd be exhausted. The safer choice is NY day, but you do miss out on some of the fun.

This year NYE is on SAT and New Years day is on a Sunday, I think this will make it more crowded than other years. Weekends are usually crowded now throw in all of the out of towners visiting relatives...

But if the weather turns winterish, it may be not as bad.

Sorry to kinda resurrect this thread but does anyone know what it would be like on NYE if you're staying onsite? I thought I'd read somewhere that they're given priority in re-entering. Also, my mum and I have tickets for Fantasmic balcony seating @ 10:30. Will they let us in for that or just tell us to get a refund or what? tia!!

While hotel guest are given a priority on initial entries, once DL reaches capacity, there's no re-entries whatsoever, hotel guest or not. No, if the park is at capacity, they won't let you in just because you have ressies for the balcony for Fantasmic and I don't think they'll issue a refund. Get into the park early and stay there (don't park hop, either).

Just have to echo, if you want to be in the park at midnight, get there early and don't leave, it really is that simple. Of course there are many variables to this. But this strategy is the only way you can gurarentee you being the park at Midnight.

Just to add...

If you want to see a lot of the park, get there for opening on Sunday (New Year's Day). The park is really empty in the morning because everyone is out so late the night before. :)

GreenGirl8 said:
Just to add...

If you want to see a lot of the park, get there for opening on Sunday (New Year's Day). The park is really empty in the morning because everyone is out so late the night before. :)

Yes but by noon it should reach capacity.

Do not know what happened but this year it is not blacked out for deluxe AP holders, it ususally is.

We cant check into our hotel across the street until 3. I will be so upset if i cant get in. I have been looking forward to this for months. I will be definatly throwing a fit if i have to watch the midnight fireworks from downtown disney. Do you think that 3 pm is to late? what do I do?

3pm is way late but you could get lucky.

While you may not be able to get into your room until 3pm, I am sure they will still let you check-in early and then get your keys when you come back at 1am (or whenever).

When have checked in early many times at various hotels on Harbor (as early as 1pm at least) and never had a problem, other then having to wait to get our keys because the room wasn't ready.

I have to second what the previous poster said. Most hotels will hold your luggage and let you start playing as soon as you get there. If you are not sure about your hotel, call them directly and ask them if they will do this for you. It is always hard to predict when Disneyland will close. I can tell you that I would want to be in the park BEFORE 3pm..especially with it being Disneyland's 50th anniversary...etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter