So Pixar fest isn’t as popular as they expected?

We plan trips 6 mos to a year ahead and get very frustrated at uncle Bob when changes like this happen. I have learned that if unless you have the time, energy there lawyers will eat you up and if think Disney cares, they do not. I used live in SoCal for many years and and went every day I could, stopped counting many, many years ago , thousands of visits, so buy some stock. Go to the share holders meetings and complain, give them your opinion

Jack

What better way to get people used to a more dynamic AP blockout calendar than by unblocking some dates first? I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this happen over the next year. Then it won't be so shocking and may seem more justifiable when it goes the other way and they start adding blockout dates to the calendar on shorter notice too if construction or opening dates shift or crowd patterns aren't manageable.

Or a different possibility...maybe they are trying to just generate some higher attendance numbers and overall revenue numbers before the end of the current fiscal quarter.

Or both.

I feel like there is something to this and the whole tiered ticket thing. They want to make summer dates next summer Peak dates for the tiered pricing because of SWGE crowds. But attendance this year is sorta low because people are waiting for SWGE, or were waiting for Pixar Pier, or because of construction or whatever. So if they inflate the numbers by giving a crazy discount that shocks the senses, they can make more peak days next year based on attendance this year and justify it. I don’t know, just a conspiracy theory lol

I feel like there is something to this and the whole tiered ticket thing. They want to make summer dates next summer Peak dates for the tiered pricing because of SWGE crowds. But attendance this year is sorta low because people are waiting for SWGE, or were waiting for Pixar Pier, or because of construction or whatever. So if they inflate the numbers by giving a crazy discount that shocks the senses, they can make more peak days next year based on attendance this year and justify it. I don’t know, just a conspiracy theory lol
Lol, they are a giant corporation with lots of power and connections and yes they are positing for Star Wars land to open, so they are prepared Uncle Bob wont blow it.

You have the year to date numbers compared to last year and projected for Star Wars. I love to see the numbers on paper.

Thanks
Jack

Very disappointed. We scheduled our trip (we live out of state) specifically around when those local cheap Annual Passes were blocked out (some of our group has Deluxe). We'll be there starting Monday. We'll see how it goes. We've been thinking about taking a break from the Parks for a few years and this may tip the scales if it is crazy busy. I guess it's still better than a day at work. Anyway, here's another out-of-town tourist who "may" be unhappy after this and figure out other places to travel. Likely not going to renew my Deluxe pass in October (but of course will try to fit in one more trip before if I can swing the travel and hotel costs).

Dang... Last month I booked a short, solo trip this upcoming Sunday-Tuesday (10th-12th) because of a fantastic flight and hotel deal and the dates looked good with blockouts. Like others, I'm a little bummed to see the news so close to my trip that the parks may be busier than anticipated. I'll be doing MaxPass for sure. But- I have to say I can't be a total grump about it... The 40% off will allow some folks to experience the magic who maybe couldn't afford a visit otherwise!

One thing to keep in mind is that the 8:00 am openings are your best friend (when it's 8 and not 9) in combating local crowds. Get to the gates 30 minutes before opening, use FP wisely and you'll enjoy a splendid morning in the parks. Locals don't arrive early in many instances due to travel and parking. I've been on some of the busiest days of the year and rope drop plus a plan makes all the difference. Nighttime entertainment is a completely different story!

Dang... Last month I booked a short, solo trip this upcoming Sunday-Tuesday (10th-12th) because of a fantastic flight and hotel deal and the dates looked good with blockouts. Like others, I'm a little bummed to see the news so close to my trip that the parks may be busier than anticipated. I'll be doing MaxPass for sure. But- I have to say I can't be a total grump about it... The 40% off will allow some folks to experience the magic who maybe couldn't afford a visit otherwise!
That is an awesome attitude!! And most kids are still in school so sending you good wishes and light(ish) crowds!

I'm going to guess that Saturday the 16th just got a whole lot busier. The only Saturday that Deluxe APs can get in for a span of months?

My husband's Deluxe; we'll probably go that day now just because we can!

I’ve had more surprises than I can stand.

And hear exciting tales of 2 additional rides we didn’t have time to paint but are totally going to in the next year probably :D
Funny story. We were in Blue Sky Lounge a month ago and a CM was trying to convince me that they were extending the track for Incredicoaster and it was going to wrap around SSS. And that it was going to open on 6/23 but as of 5/1 they hadn’t actually started :rotfl2: Not. Even. Kidding. Re-engineer an entire roller coaster and open it in 6 weeks. Suuuuure. She was pointing to a drawing of something like Flik’s Flyers over in the empty spot where the old puke rocket was and telling me that was the swings

I'm going to guess that Saturday the 16th just got a whole lot busier. The only Saturday that Deluxe APs can get in for a span of months?

My husband's Deluxe; we'll probably go that day now just because we can!
Yeah, I would avoid that day (but I’m a local with a Premier pass, so no blockout days at all). A summer Saturday when Deluxe and SoCal APs are available!?! I imagine Mickey and Friends parking will reach capacity at 10am

It's definitely frustrating for people like you who look ahead and plan around the AP blockouts (which is such a smart plan). Hopefully it won't make too much of a difference to your visit. It's a very perplexing move by Disney.
Very disappointed. We scheduled our trip (we live out of state) specifically around when those local cheap Annual Passes were blocked out (some of our group has Deluxe). We'll be there starting Monday. We'll see how it goes. We've been thinking about taking a break from the Parks for a few years and this may tip the scales if it is crazy busy. I guess it's still better than a day at work. Anyway, here's another out-of-town tourist who "may" be unhappy after this and figure out other places to travel. Likely not going to renew my Deluxe pass in October (but of course will try to fit in one more trip before if I can swing the travel and hotel costs).
At the moment I feel pretty similar. I travel to a lot of places and am fortunate to be able to do lots of Disney as well. I was talking to DW last night and it might be time that we do less Disney and do other things a bit more. What they appear to be doing at WDW has me discouraged about that place too.

:wizard:

Crowds were really manageable this past Sunday, felt crazy crowded Monday and Thursday. Weird how I’ve had such luck on Sundays in the past. I can understand them wanting to boost attendance before Pixar Pier opens as this Pixar marketing campaign is promising all these things but it’s a short parade most have seen, some themed treats and an overlay of a restaurant. I get it will be cool seeing the new pier on the 21st but until then Disney shouldn’t be promising a big event hat doesn’t exist yet.

Crowds were really manageable this past Sunday, felt crazy crowded Monday and Thursday. Weird how I’ve had such luck on Sundays in the past. I can understand them wanting to boost attendance before Pixar Pier opens as this Pixar marketing campaign is promising all these things but it’s a short parade most have seen, some themed treats and an overlay of a restaurant. I get it will be cool seeing the new pier on the 21st but until then Disney shouldn’t be promising a big event hat doesn’t exist yet.

It does not open to the public until the 23rd ;-) And yeah, it is a nothing burger as they say lol.

We are going June 20-24th. As I mentioned in the June thread, this news has me SERIOUSLY bummed out. My MIL has extreme crowd anxiety, and I warned her that Disney would be busy, but assured her I had picked dates that had the SoCal and lower tiered passes blocked. This was in January. Then they release the Pixar Pier, which happens to be the weekend we picked...I was bummed, but figured with maxpass and the blockouts, we'd be okay. It'd be busy on the weekends but the week would be fine. Then they released the "special event", and now this...

I'm feeling discouraged and trying not to be, because I'll be at Disneyland and Disneyland is magical! But I worry it will be nothing but crowd complaints and tired, grumpy kids waiting in lines that wouldn't have been as long.

We are going June 20-24th. As I mentioned in the June thread, this news has me SERIOUSLY bummed out. My MIL has extreme crowd anxiety, and I warned her that Disney would be busy, but assured her I had picked dates that had the SoCal and lower tiered passes blocked. This was in January. Then they release the Pixar Pier, which happens to be the weekend we picked...I was bummed, but figured with maxpass and the blockouts, we'd be okay. It'd be busy on the weekends but the week would be fine. Then they released the "special event", and now this...

I'm feeling discouraged and trying not to be, because I'll be at Disneyland and Disneyland is magical! But I worry it will be nothing but crowd complaints and tired, grumpy kids waiting in lines that wouldn't have been as long.

I don’t think the blackout date changes are going to be making the crowds drastically different than they would have been. If your MIL has severe crowd anxiety, it was not the best time even before that TBH. As I mentioned, a lot of local schools aren’t even out until the 20/21 and even still people plan vacations right after school is out (and have to work) and aren’t likely going to come flocking in huge numbers.

Not to be a downer, but I think it was going to be moderately crowded already and it’s not going to change a ton because of the blockout dates.

Touring Plans is predicting 7/8 for your dates and it’s not changed since the announcement fyi

Re-posting this from the June thread...

First, I think if DLR has done things a certain way for many years and published things like AP blockout calendars 12 months in advance, it is a fair expectation that Disney will stick with that. It is reasonable to be disappointed and even discouraged when they don't. Yes, I know these are first world problems. I watched a (Disney) movie last night Queen of Katwe (really good BTW) and it softened how I feel a bit.

Nevertheless, Disney is offering a premium entertainment experience and charging a premium price for that. If they stop acting like a premium entertainment provider and change the game on you at the last minute, they should expect folks to be upset.

Do I think our trip will be ruined? Of course not. Do I feel like Disney pulled a fast one on me? Yes, I do. Will it affect my choices in the future? I think it will.

When I found out about this yesterday, I sent an email to Disney explaining how what they did was not fair. Who knows what will happen?

Everyone else - please call or email Disney if you are upset: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/phone/

:cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter