So now that DCL is 20 years old, what do you think will happen with all these "platinum" adults...

They offer FL rates to fill the ship in a category that is not selling or that they can get a higher dollar for from new guests. For example, if you have a 5D booked they could offer a 5A category and a FL resident would have to move from their 5D to the 5A to get the discount. DCL chooses the cabin in most instances and so if you really liked that 5D you chose a year ago, you take your chances on which 5A you are going to get. Those 5D's get sold to new clients paying the current rate and the 5A's get filled by FL residents who might save and take their chances on what they get. :) AND, they are taking the chance that the cruise they want to go on is even offered at that special rate. So, as a FL resident I buy what I want on and choose the cabin I want and if a FL rate comes in with a category I am willing to switch to, then I take it. If not, I don't.

As a Disney shareholder, I want them to maximize their profit. If the goal is to fill this ship in a category that is not selling well, then why not offer the discount to a wider audience. Seems like they would be able to find people with offering a smaller discount. Disney is free to restrict this to Florida residents, but I'm not sure what advantage they gain by restricting it this way.

I am pretty sure our recent Quebec to NYC cruise had Florida Res rates on it. It also had Canadian rates, military rates, travel agent rates, cm rates and GT rates. I think every discount out there could be applied to that cruise.

There have been more than I have ever seen in the last months and there are so many more still to come until next year also.

As mentioned before, yes, it seems there have been a good deal more discounts available on DCL the last several months. Not sure entirely why, but obviously not all sailings are selling out or they wouldn't be offering the Canadian resident, Fl resident and military discounts for so many sailings. :sunny:

Really? So they tell you, after you check in there, that you can't sit there? The red carpet into that area seems to indicate it's for both Concierge & Platinum.
View attachment 358428

Now, there's a Concierge-specific waiting area just to the left of the entrance of that space behind the glass wall (but they do allow B2B cruisers to sit there, also):
View attachment 358429

View attachment 358430

We were told that area was just for Platinum check in but not hanging out....and were never allowed in that larger seating area either as Platinum which I can understand as there are so many Platinum it would never hold them all on any particular sailing.

MJ

We were told that area was just for Platinum check in but not hanging out....and were never allowed in that larger seating area either as Platinum which I can understand as there are so many Platinum it would never hold them all on any particular sailing.

MJ
Hmm... I didn't know that. We never used the Platinum/Concierge check in as the regular check in lines were shorter than the one there on those cruises we did from PC after we reached Platinum.

As a Disney shareholder, I want them to maximize their profit. If the goal is to fill this ship in a category that is not selling well, then why not offer the discount to a wider audience. Seems like they would be able to find people with offering a smaller discount. Disney is free to restrict this to Florida residents, but I'm not sure what advantage they gain by restricting it this way.

In fact there are more than just FL resident discounts available to fill the ship that actually come out prior to FL residents being offered the rates. There is a certain order of release based on sell thru. If the first discounts don't do the job, then the next ones are released to finish it off. GT, Military, FL resident, TA, CM etc. First offer is going to be those GTY rates on specific categories, then military, then FL resident, then GT, then CM and TA.

There is a certain order of release based on sell thru. If the first discounts don't do the job, then the next ones are released to finish it off. GT, Military, FL resident, TA, CM etc. First offer is going to be those GTY rates on specific categories, then military, then FL resident, then GT, then CM and TA.

Good to know, Sytrace. Thanks!

Isnt' part of the rationale for the FL discount something to do with state taxes that Fl residents pay that benefit Disney? Like - infrastructure, etc? Plus the hassle of living in the state that is home to Big Mouse? Certainly that's why in my hometown I pay less for the museums and other major attractions than tourists do. I know those are nonprofits, but I swear I read somewhere -- or maybe it's because Disney gets some tax breaks from Florida...? I just don't think it's worth arguing about whether or not locals deserve a discount.

As for the platinum children, it has always struck me that the status should go to the people who paid for the cruise. but if my kids want to take me along when they go with their kids...I'm all in!

Isnt' part of the rationale for the FL discount something to do with state taxes that Fl residents pay that benefit Disney? Like - infrastructure, etc? Plus the hassle of living in the state that is home to Big Mouse? Certainly that's why in my hometown I pay less for the museums and other major attractions than tourists do. I know those are nonprofits, but I swear I read somewhere -- or maybe it's because Disney gets some tax breaks from Florida...? I just don't think it's worth arguing about whether or not locals deserve a discount.

As for the platinum children, it has always struck me that the status should go to the people who paid for the cruise. but if my kids want to take me along when they go with their kids...I'm all in!

Florida does not have a state income tax.

This does worry me. We will be platinum in 3 more months. The reason I want to be platinum is for early booking purposes. I hate paying more for a cruise because I had to book one day after platinum. Once I’m there, I really don’t want to lose that benefit by making more levels.

It it won’t be a benefit if there are so many people that it is impossible to book anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter