So now that DCL is 20 years old, what do you think will happen with all these "platinum" adults...

No, I support the military discounts, and I understand that the exchange rate was a reason for the Canadian discounts.

Ok, so some discounts are fine but not others. Sorry,not being argumentative but still not understanding how this is wrong except that you cannot use that particular discount.

In a free market the business can set its price that they feel people will pay. Disney has tons of data and believe it or not they know how to turn a profit. So they are doing what they feel helps their business. The tourist/service heavy Florida job market typically has a lower wage and there is a high amount of seniors living on retirement income. Likely the metrics probably demonstrate that the price point a family from Virginia will pay is higher than the “local” economy will support.

Our kids were platinum at ages 12 & 15. They are now 18 & 21. They still enjoy sailing DCL but they're only interested when it's the more unusual itineraries such as Med, Norwegian Fjords, Quebec, PC, Hawaii, etc. If I booked a 7-nt Caribbean for next summer, they would probably decline the invitation. They are at the age where they want to be seen as adults and perhaps sailing DCL feels a bit too aimed at children. Yet, when I looked into other cruise lines to have more than 1 sailing for NF itineraries, they pleaded for me to stick with DCL. Dh and I have done a few 3 nt quickies without them but we always invite them and they usually decline.

My guess is that once they're completely independent, and travelling with friends and/or girlfriends, their vacations would be more "low budget" than a Disney cruise. I know when I was 25, I had a lot more urgent needs (saving for a house, paying off a car loan, etc.) A luxury vacation such as DCL was not even on my radar. JMHO.

I highly doubt my kids will di WDW as much as adults as now kids. Simple financial costs. Grandma sponsors WDW, our first DCL and next cruise. Inpay my share. Sure my kids would still go as young adults on these trips but only if it’s just them. If girlfriends and spouses etc. were to come then they would have to pay for themselves and the good question is With they be willing to pay themselves for this experience. The Way DCL does their program I could see my kids only reaching gold status by the time they are adults. A Disney Cruise for us is a real time and money investment that takes planning. And expensive airfare.

On a sidenote I can definitely see Disney change in their program and in a way it is a bit unfair how so many Florida residents are platinum. They book cheap IGT/ FL rates for short cruises and really get those cruises in. I could see DCL evolve like the airlines were mileage/ points is actually based on revenue not quantity. In my opinion it’s not fair for someone’s paying 20 grand for concierge state room and they get the same points towards status as someone who is paying a couple grand (if even) for a last minute discounted sailing.

Oddly enough as a FL resident, only 1 cruise out of 20 has been a VGT rate, 3 cruises out of 20 have been FL resident rate. :) 12 out of 20 were 7 nights, 1 was a 5 night and the other 7 were 4 night cruises and all were veranda category 5A for our family of 4. The prices are actually closer to opening day rates and are not as frequently offered as some may think.
As for booking concierge....I would rather sail 4 to 5 times a year (we did 4 this year alone) than sail once in concierge. :)
One was a 5 night cruise (FL resident rate) and the others were 2 that were placeholders used and the last one was the hurricane rate for when one of our cruises last year got cancelled due to Irma) I am pretty sure we hit that 20,000.00 mark but I am afraid to add it up to be sure. lol

I will definitely agree that living close to the port is a major benefit...no flights or hotels to worry about...but it is not like we got any of our cruises for free.
If you choose to purchase a concierge cabin and spend 20,000.00 then that is truly to your credit...but that does not work for our family at all and we hit platinum in late 2016.

I personally do think it is unfair that DCL offers FL resident rates. Why shouldn't anyone be able to take advantage of these rates? If I live in another state, but am able to cruise on short notice, why shouldn't I be able to get the discount?

Those are GT rates if I am not mistaken. They are offered a bit ahead of when they release Military and definitely ahead of FL resident rates.

As soon as there are too many platinums for it to be a perk, I am sure DCL will adjust its booking policies.

I've heard that DCL offered FL resident discounts on Mediterranean cruises.

I cannot swear that has not happened, but I've lived here in central FL since the late 90's and I have never seen FL rez discounts for the Med cruises. Maybe you are thinking of CM discounts to the Med? Your avatar says "CM Dad", so perhaps you have at some time been privy to discounted DCL rates?

I believe that the FL discount can also be used for an existing reservation, not just a new reservation.

Again, I'm no expert, but my understanding is that one would have to cancel their previous rez in order to take advantage of a better one, and that must be done before PIF. At least that's what I have been led to believe.

I cannot swear that has not happened, but I've lived here in central FL since the late 90's and I have never seen FL rez discounts for the Med cruises. Maybe you are thinking of CM discounts to the Med? Your avatar says "CM Dad", so perhaps you have at some time been privy to discounted DCL rates?

Again, I'm no expert, but my understanding is that one would have to cancel their previous rez in order to take advantage of a better one, and that must be done before PIF. At least that's what I have been led to believe.

Yes, we did that not long ago for a Jan. Cruise. You can only book new to take advantage of the FL discount.

We have never seen a FL discount for a cruise that did not at least start or end in FL. Other discounts may apply to different areas.

1. Yes, there was a FL resident rate out for a Med cruise...it came out about 2 months before sailing for this year.
2. As long as you are willing to switch to the category offered with the FL resident rate it can and will be adjusted after PIF date has passed. So, if you booked a 5D but a 5A FL resident rate came out, you would need to change the category of the cabin type to fit what DCL offered. They would adjust the price to reflect that and refund the difference.

What about this idea:

“Diamond” status for cruisers that have hit a certain number of overall nights. 70 minimum (which would be ten 7-night cruises) or more likely a cool 100 nights. This would reconcile: 1) express platinum achieved with multiple shorter cruises and 2) the 20 yr span to date of DCL.

1. Yes, there was a FL resident rate out for a Med cruise...it came out about 2 months before sailing for this year.
2. As long as you are willing to switch to the category offered with the FL resident rate it can and will be adjusted after PIF date has passed. So, if you booked a 5D but a 5A FL resident rate came out, you would need to change the category of the cabin type to fit what DCL offered. They would adjust the price to reflect that and refund the difference.

Wow. And good to know! I had never seen a FL rez Med cruise rate in all the years I've lived here. I need to keep a closer watch on the DCL "special rates" page! :cutie:

And I also had no idea you could switch after the PIF was completed as well. I'm betting there's a huge bunch of FL folks like me that had no idea. Thanks! :flower2:

Yes, we did that not long ago for a Jan. Cruise. You can only book new to take advantage of the FL discount.

Um....no. According to the DCL site, "Valid on new and existing reservations." https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/florida-residents-rates/

I always thought that the reason that companies offered discounts was to encourage new buyers. I'm not sure why DCL offers to discount a cruise for a FL resident that was willing to book at the non-discounted price.

Um....no. According to the DCL site, "Valid on new and existing reservations." https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/florida-residents-rates/

I always thought that the reason that companies offered discounts was to encourage new buyers. I'm not sure why DCL offers to discount a cruise for a FL resident that was willing to book at the non-discounted price.

They offer FL rates to fill the ship in a category that is not selling or that they can get a higher dollar for from new guests. For example, if you have a 5D booked they could offer a 5A category and a FL resident would have to move from their 5D to the 5A to get the discount. DCL chooses the cabin in most instances and so if you really liked that 5D you chose a year ago, you take your chances on which 5A you are going to get. Those 5D's get sold to new clients paying the current rate and the 5A's get filled by FL residents who might save and take their chances on what they get. :) AND, they are taking the chance that the cruise they want to go on is even offered at that special rate. So, as a FL resident I buy what I want on and choose the cabin I want and if a FL rate comes in with a category I am willing to switch to, then I take it. If not, I don't.

We have never seen a FL discount for a cruise that did not at least start or end in FL. Other discounts may apply to different areas.

I am pretty sure our recent Quebec to NYC cruise had Florida Res rates on it. It also had Canadian rates, military rates, travel agent rates, cm rates and GT rates. I think every discount out there could be applied to that cruise.

MJ

I am pretty sure our recent Quebec to NYC cruise had Florida Res rates on it. It also had Canadian rates, military rates, travel agent rates, cm rates and GT rates. I think every discount out there could be applied to that cruise.

MJ

Indeed it did :) There have been more than I have ever seen in the last months and there are so many more still to come until next year also.

They always open the “side door” over by the platinum /concierge check in area for us to board if we don’t get there early so we don’t have to wait and try to get through the mob of people.

Platinum does not have privileges to sit in that area pictured in Post #46. I have sailed out of PC on tons of cruises as Platinum and we were never allowed to sit there.

MJ

Last edited:
Platinum does not have privileges to sit in that area pictured in Post #46. I have sailed out of PC on tons of cruises as Platinum and we were never allowed to sit there.

MJ

I think they were referring to being taken that way for boarding after boarding has begun and they are on later groups. Not sitting in there before boarding starts.

MJ
Really? So they tell you, after you check in there, that you can't sit there? The red carpet into that area seems to indicate it's for both Concierge & Platinum.
pc 2014 platinum concierge check in 27037 P1030874 1500.jpg

Now, there's a Concierge-specific waiting area just to the left of the entrance of that space behind the glass wall (but they do allow B2B cruisers to sit there, also):
pc 2014 concierge waiting area 14052 P1020174 1500a.jpg

pc 2014 concierge lounge 27050a P1030906 Stitch 1500.jpg

Ok, so some discounts are fine but not others. Sorry,not being argumentative but still not understanding how this is wrong except that you cannot use that particular discount.

In a free market the business can set its price that they feel people will pay. Disney has tons of data and believe it or not they know how to turn a profit. So they are doing what they feel helps their business. The tourist/service heavy Florida job market typically has a lower wage and there is a high amount of seniors living on retirement income. Likely the metrics probably demonstrate that the price point a family from Virginia will pay is higher than the “local” economy will support.
I agree that it is a free market and Disney can do what they want. As a DIS shareholder, I'm glad that they know how to turn a profit. I'm sure that not all of the Florida residents that use this discount have lower wages or are seniors. There are low wage/seniors living all over. If that is their concern, maybe provide low income people everywhere a discount. Just provide a copy of your 1040 tax form with adjusted gross income :-)

I think I might have technically been able to book with a Florida resident discount until earlier this year. I had a FL state ID card that I got when my wife and I bought a townhouse behind the Magic Kingdom when they were both cast members at WDW. I think it might have expired this summer. Since we don't actually live in FL I didn't feel right using that.

Maybe I should change my name to "Dad of former CMs". We had 2 of our daughters that started working at WDW in their college program, finished school, when back to WDW in their advanced internship program and then became full-time CMs. We did take advantage of their discounted CM rate for our first family cruise in 2007. They haven't worked for Disney since 2011.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!