So now that DCL is 20 years old, what do you think will happen with all these "platinum" adults...

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
That are a platinum status because they spent their entire childhood going on Disney cruises?

It got me thinking, because I met a young couple the other day. They were about 23 years old. They found out I love Disney and the man loved Disney too. I mentioned we liked cruising better, and he said he did too. His parents were DVC members and that he was a platinum cruise member. I laughed! I said you're platinum from all the years of your parents bringing you on a Disney Cruise. My kids are the same. We are not platinum yet, I have 2 more cruises to take and my kids have 3 more. They won't make Platinum on my dime, since this cruise in November will be the last one I pay for 100%. So after November, they will have to take 2 more cruises on their own dime to become platinum.

It occured to me, many 20+ years old will be booking their 1st adult cruise already platinum. You think that will impact booking shore excursions? Just curious.

Last edited:
That are a platinum status because they spent their entire childhood going on Disney cruises?

It got me thinking, because I met a young couple the other day. They were about 23 years old. They found out I love Disney and the man loved Disney too. I mentioned we liked cruising better, and he said he did too. His parents were DVC members and that he was a platinum cruise member. I laughed! I said you're platinum from all the years of your parents bringing you on a Disney Cruise. My kids are the same. We are not platinum yet, I have 2 more cruises to take and my kids have 3 more. They won't make Platinum on my dime, since this cruise in November will be the last one I pay for 100%. So after November, they will have to take 2 more cruises on their own dime to become platinum.

It occured to me, many 20+ years old will be booking their 1st adult cruise already platinum. You think that will impact booking shore excursions? Just curious.
It's quite possible that some of them, who were "dragged along" on those cruises won't continue cruising. Not every one really likes it.

But, I don't know that it will change things a lot. Remember for those "kids" who are now adults, they have grandparents (and parents) that may not be cruising any longer.

We are the perfect example....our family of five was on the Maiden Voyage of the Magic back in 1998 and all three of our kids are adults who are Platinum now...two with their own kids. Our grandkids already have 3 cruises under their belt.

The only thing I think needs to happen is to have another tier to the Castaway Club. I have taken 41 DCL cruises...our kids have taken 10 each. We just got back from a big family cruise (17 people) and have a great time on the Magic. Was not impressed with the 20th anniversary offerings....shirts were not a nice quality at all. The rest the cruise was fantastic. The Magic is looking good for being 20. I am disappointed they don't do the Castaway Club Meet any more except on 8 days or longer cruises.

MJ

My dd should be platinum by the time she turns 15 yrs old. The other day I said something to my dh about just him and I being able take some of the longer cruises once our dd goes off to college. My dd asked why we would be able to do them then. I told her it was because she would be off in college so we wouldn't have to worry about her missing school since she wouldn't be going with us then. She was actually shocked that we would even consider going on a cruise without her. lol!! Apparently she thinks we will just being sitting at home twiddling our thumbs once she moves out of the house!!:rotfl2:

Our kids are not platinum like we are, but we made them gold.
We also made our 2 grandkids gold.
Our littlest munchkin has't started cruising just yet.

My dd should be platinum by the time she turns 15 yrs old. The other day I said something to my dh about just him and I being able take some of the longer cruises once our dd goes off to college. My dd asked why we would be able to do them then. I told her it was because she would be off in college so we wouldn't have to worry about her missing school since she wouldn't be going with us then. She was actually shocked that we would even consider going on a cruise without her. lol!! Apparently she thinks we will just being sitting at home twiddling our thumbs once she moves out of the house!!:rotfl2:

My DD19 is home this weekend for fall break and we mentioned being gone for fall break next Tuesday. She was horrified to find out we will all be at the beach without her. :rolleyes:

DS is 10 and thinks it’s normal to take a cruise each year as vacation, so yes he is platinum also. He will be very upset when we choose something different or when he has to start paying his own way.

We think DCL will add at least another tier in the future. Since so many loyalty programs, hotels and airlines etc., are going to a multi-component that usually includes dollars spent, does anyone think Disney will change? It seems there is a way to grandfather current status and incorporate length of cruise and room catergory at minimum if not actual dollars spent into the program.

I do not have kids yet, but my nephew (6) has been on 7 cruises and my niece (2) has been on 4 cruises with 2 more planned for the 2019 and 2020. I am only in Gold with 6 cruises right now, but my brother and sister-in-law are at 9 cruises. We did not start to cruise until we got to college. We like to cruise for our family vacations and major celebrations like graduation and major birthdays. It just so happened that the year my niece was born, there were 2 graduations and her 1st birthday cruise/WDW trip within the year. Then, we had a family cruise vacation recently in May. My whole family loves to cruise and I am trying to get my current boyfriend to officially sign up for his first cruise. I would not be surprised if my nephew and niece hit platinum in a few years since we try to vacation every year. I know when I have kids, we definitely will continue to sail with DCL. Maybe look into different options when the kids get older... but not any time soon.

I highly doubt my kids will di WDW as much as adults as now kids. Simple financial costs. Grandma sponsors WDW, our first DCL and next cruise. Inpay my share. Sure my kids would still go as young adults on these trips but only if it’s just them. If girlfriends and spouses etc. were to come then they would have to pay for themselves and the good question is With they be willing to pay themselves for this experience. The Way DCL does their program I could see my kids only reaching gold status by the time they are adults. A Disney Cruise for us is a real time and money investment that takes planning. And expensive airfare.

On a sidenote I can definitely see Disney change in their program and in a way it is a bit unfair how so many Florida residents are platinum. They book cheap IGT/ FL rates for short cruises and really get those cruises in. I could see DCL evolve like the airlines were mileage/ points is actually based on revenue not quantity. In my opinion it’s not fair for someone’s paying 20 grand for concierge state room and they get the same points towards status as someone who is paying a couple grand (if even) for a last minute discounted sailing.

Both of my college aged kids were shocked when we planned a vacation without them. Both of them are platinum.

Yup! We went down for food and wine after dropping my youngest off for his first year of college. He couldn't believe we were going without him lol. They don't know we are going back down in early December, too. And yes, they are also platinum.

On a sidenote I can definitely see Disney change in their program and in a way it is a bit unfair how so many Florida residents are platinum. They book cheap IGT/ FL rates for short cruises and really get those cruises in. I could see DCL evolve like the airlines were mileage/ points is actually based on revenue not quantity. In my opinion it’s not fair for someone’s paying 20 grand for concierge state room and they get the same points towards status as someone who is paying a couple grand (if even) for a last minute discounted sailing.
There is nothing unfair about it. Never assume. In over 30 DCL cruises, in a Concierge suite about half the time and with most of my cruises being 7 nights, I have only booked an FL rate twice and both were verandah categories. However, I have nothing against other FL residents who do frequent shorter cruises. Maybe they love cruising but are unable to get away for longer. It happens. To me the Castaway Club is a loyalty program and I view loyalty as how many times a guest keeps coming back and re-booking more cruises, not how many nights they were aboard. Considering price per night, from what I have noticed DCL makes more per night on shorter sailings. But I know some other cruise lines credit according to number of days and some give extra points for suites. Since DCL is becoming more mainstream and emulating other lines in many ways, they will probably eventually go that route.

We laugh about the fact that our kids will start their own cruising as platinum. After our 2020 WBPC cruise our whole family will be platinum. Our DS will be 16 and our DD will only be 9. :) We had cruised so regularly when she was little that she thought of all the Disney characters who she had met as her true friends; just like others from Sunday school or preschool. It was so cute.

Sounds like DCL needs a Diamond level, 25 plus cruises or maybe a Jubilee level for 50 cruises. And I think there should be some nice perks for those levels, like Spa and shopping discounts. Maybe a nice cocktail party on certain cruises for those levels.

Just a thought for those who have been truly loyal to DCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter