So it's been almost 2 years now with the Soarin upgrade. Is it better?

Where would you rather soar?

• Gimme back the old Soarin' over Cali!

Votes: 78 69.6%
  • Soarin' the world is way better!

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 21 18.8%

• Total voters

tommygunn

Maniacal Disney Addict!!!!!
What do you think? While I like the new one, my vote is that California was better. Good outweighs the bad IMO.

+ more peaceful and serene
+ better and less abrupt transitions
+ no CGI silliness
+ less crooked images from the sides
- Around the world has much higher definition

What say ye?

The tendency of tall object in the new video to 'bend' unless viewed from the center glider detracts greatly from the experience. Fortunately I have several very good videos I took of the old version, watched several times just last weekend.

Bill From PA

I've done my rant on here many times, so to keep it short:

I'd like the Cali version back, at least in one theater.

Dislike the new version because:

-most of it is fake/CGI. Fake animals, fake people, fake situations. The entire Taj Mahal is fake. I'm sure they could have found something to film that they had permission to film.
-the attraction is only viewed correctly from a small percentage of the seats on the ride. If you can't do it right for everyone's enjoyment, don't do it at all.
-the smells are not as good. I'm not sure how highly dirt ranks on most people's best smells lists.

I loved the new version the first time I saw it. But the more I see it, the more I think about it... I think the original is much better. I don't mind the CGI, but the fact that things like the Eiffel Tower bend unless you're in the dead center of the room is awful. I will never understand how people looked at this scene and said "Yeah that's fine let's move on." It's the most disappointing I've been in Imagineering in a long time.

Maybe part of it is also riding Flights of Passage. After you do that one and then go back to Soarin', it looks pretty unimpressive.

Soarin' was at one point arguably the most popular attraction on property. But now I think it's joined the league of "ordinary attractions."

I'm going against the current majority; I love the new movie, the new scents, and the shorter lines, it fits in EPCOT better because of WS. I do hope this is one ride they keep updating as time passes, I'm a usually a Disney traditionalist, but on this one I'd love to see a rotation.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who saw it distorted. Only ridden the new one twice. Both times I was on the top row at the extreme end of the whole row (once on the left and once on the right). Both times the bending was terrible. Really detracted from the whole experience.

What do you think? While I like the new one, my vote is that California was better. Good outweighs the bad IMO.

+ no CGI silliness

What say ye?
Yes! I totally agree...especially the transitions.

I like that it's scenes from around the world but really just enjoy the ride regardless of what movie they throw in there and how much things bend. The dirt smell is also my favourite so maybe I'm just weird. I voted indifferent.

+ no CGI silliness

What say ye?

I'll take a legitimate photographed adventure over a CGI one any day ... in a situation where I'm using it to explore new places. Add in the horrible bending and warping of the "film" (use that loosely) ..... I really don't have to ride it ever again.

Haven't been to California so I cannot compare, but the consensus seems to be that it is better. I will say the transitions are not great as you mentioned (Epcot version), and if you don't sit in the middle section of seats it just isn't as good. The bowed images, particularly the Eiffel Tower from the sides is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I really liked old Soarin’- the smells, the scenes, the less jarring scene transitions. The new one I’m very meh on. I’d be okay with skipping it.

I don't dislike the new version, but do prefer the old one mostly due to pacing. The older version seemed to be more relaxed and engaging whereas the new version is jam packed... plus I don't love the transitions or the amount of CGI. But we did still ride it multiple times during my last trip back in November.

I just rode this for the first time in Jan with the new film and I was disappointed. The CGI was obvious, and the bent Eiffel Tower ruined it for me. Will I ride it again, yes, hopefully from a middle seat next time. Is it as important to hit as the old film? No. I have no problem with a new film, but I'm disappointed in the quality.

Soarin is still my favorite ride in all of the parks (but I haven't done FOP yet). I voted indifferent.

For a first timer I think the original is better. However, I was frankly getting a little bored with it after seeing it so many times, so I welcomed the new version.

What bothers me most about the new version is the extreme skew of the screen if you are sitting to the left or right of the screen. Since when does the Eiffel tower curve at 90 degrees? Same with the Taj Mahal spires. Inexcusable IMO. Completely takes you out of the reality of the ride, and since Soarin was designed to create a false sense of reality, this is a HUGE deal.

Dan

Soarin’ has become a one and done for us (we will ride it again once the kids are tall enough then they can decide if it’s a repeat ride) but I prefer the Cali version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!