So, if you're an AP holder you CAN'T get the dining plan?

You can always get the dining plan if you're staying at a WDW resort. The only exception I've ever seen to this is if you're staying under a special convention rate, or under the "magical" deals from one or two travel agents (which book the rooms under a convention rate, so it's the same thing).

You need to call to add the dining plan if you're staying onsite. Pretty sure the only way you can add it online is if you do it while making your reservation as an AP holder. Otherwise, you have to call to add it after the fact.

I have a room only reservation and called to add the dining plan. The whole process took about 10 minutes.
I’m glad I found this thread. I just called to try and do this and was told I’d have to cancel my room only reservation and rebook it as a package with tickets in order to add the dining plan, even as an annual passholder. Is this accurate? I understood differently from what I had heard previously

Ok, thank you. I didn't think I would have to buy tickets, but the CM was pretty sure.

The only way you would have to buy tickets is if you were trying to get a package like Free Dining, which requires ticket purchase to qualify.

Otherwise, anyone staying onsite can add the dining plan without purchasing tickets.

The only exception is people who are booked under a "convention" rate (which includes the "magical" deals from some TA's), and a handful of those who book online at sites other than Disney (ie...Expedia, Travelocity, etc).

I’m glad I found this thread. I just called to try and do this and was told I’d have to cancel my room only reservation and rebook it as a package with tickets in order to add the dining plan, even as an annual passholder. Is this accurate? I understood differently from what I had heard previously

When I did it, I definitely dod not have to buy tickets. Then agent asked if I wanted tickets, and I told her I already had one in my account and was getting the other two from a different source. She was fine with that and finished the transaction.

FYI to anyone following along. When booking using the Passholder room-only offer the “Add Dining” link will be shown after you select the dates, resort and room type/view. No need to call to add dining when making a new booking using the Passholder discount.

I have not seen this “Add Dining” link shown when booking a room using any of the other offers even when signed in to the website and an active AP is linked. Nevertheless, it’s proof that AP holders can add a dining package to a room-only reservation. It’s unfortunate that some CMs have been giving incorrect information.

A sample booking for one night in August using the current Passholder room-only discount (there are no tickets attached to this booking):

89E4C81D-C7E9-4D6F-8F86-A7E9B8E59996.png

Last edited:
When booking using the Passholder room-only offer the “Add Dining” link will be shown after you select the dates, resort and room type/view.

The important distinction here is "when booking." You can only add dining online when you first book the room with the passholder discount. If you already have a room reservation, you will have to call.

Ok--update. I called back because I was rattled and meant to pay off my balance for the room only. I asked that CM and because I am on a Dapper Day rate I could get the Dining Plan! So I added it! I will remember next time if I do a room only to ask about dining immediately when I book. (I have one night at Pop before moving to POFQ and am on hold now to see if I can add DDP to that one night too--I had to be transferred elsewhere because it is not on the convention rate.

You can get the dining plan no matter what rate you are on. you need to ask them to convert your room-only reservation to a ticketless package.

Once it's a package, you need to follow package rules regarding payment and cancellation.

You can get the dining plan no matter what rate you are on. you need to ask them to convert your room-only reservation to a ticketless package.

Not exactly true. There are some convention rates that do not allow the dining plan to be added, like with the "magical" deals.

(I have one night at Pop before moving to POFQ and am on hold now to see if I can add DDP to that one night too--I had to be transferred elsewhere because it is not on the convention rate.
UPDATE NO. 2-==After the CM consulted with Guest Services they were able to add DDP to the one night at Pop (which was on a passholder rate). so it CAN be done. I don't know if some convention rates are not DDP eligible--in this case I lucked out and it was.

yes, it's the same with rooms purchased through third party resellers like Expedia or Orbitz, you can't add a dining plan to those because you did not purchase the room through Disney, you have bought a room that Disney already sold to the third party - which is now reselling the room and it can't be made into a package. I assume the magical deals and some other convention rates are the same thing, you're buying via a third party which has already purchased the rooms from Disney as room-only reservations. Therefore, Disney won't be able to convert these reservations to packages for the purpose of buying the dining plan.

But if your rate was gotten by booking through Disney, it doesn't matter what rate it is.

We are passholders who just added DDP after booking. We were never given the option when getting the reservation online, but was a quick call. So glad you were able to get it settled out also. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter