So I was reading the police notes...

kaytieeldr

DIS Veteran
...and encountered this: "Report of thefts at Victoria Secret <skip> on Wednesday at 8:51 p.m. Employee said two women stole $13,950 worth of merchandise at 12:53 p.m. and a man and a woman stole $6,825 in items at 2:47 p.m. Officer reports manager refused to provide a description of the suspects"

Skeptic that I am, VS stocks that much merchandise? Two thefts within two hours? Over $20,000? Not reported for another six hours? And most interesting - manager re fused to describe suspects?

Hmmmm.

...and encountered this: "Report of thefts at Victoria Secret <skip> on Wednesday at 8:51 p.m. Employee said two women stole $13,950 worth of merchandise at 12:53 p.m. and a man and a woman stole $6,825 in items at 2:47 p.m. Officer reports manager refused to provide a description of the suspects"

Skeptic that I am, VS stocks that much merchandise? Two thefts within two hours? Over $20,000? Not reported for another six hours? And most interesting - manager re fused to describe suspects?

Hmmmm.

$20,000 is like two bras at Vickie’s.

DD used to work part time for an inventory service for extra income. Mall clothing stores, big box retailers, etc. She said every Victoria's Secret she worked at had excessive amounts of merchandise. Totes, bags, and boxes of items stored under display tables and stacked high in the stockroom. Plus all the drawers and cabinets on the sales floor. It's easy to believe they had well over $20,000 in merchandise on display alone on hanging racks and table tops.

Hmmmm.
I can sort of understand the delay if no one saw it happen and later realized a section or area looked empty. Just based on my retail experience. However I am sure there are cameras that the police can review and a District manager to get them access if the manager isn't t cooperating. The $20,000 value is very believable

My niece worked at VS over her winter break from college. She said there were a few times on her shifts that a person would run in, grab as much stuff as they could, and then run out to a waiting car. Her manager told her it happened all the time.

My niece worked at VS over her winter break from college. She said there were a few times on her shifts that a person would run in, grab as much stuff as they could, and then run out to a waiting car. Her manager told her it happened all the time.
That, unfortunately, happens regularly at all retailers. There are very, very few people at a store at any given time that are even authorized to stop a shoplifter. They can try to deter theft as much as possible, but it's pretty known by those that do this kind of thing that they won't be apprehended if they walk out with the merch. It's astounding to see what walks out the door on a daily basis.

$20,000 is like two bras at Vickie’s.
You're exaggerating ... but not by much!
That, unfortunately, happens regularly at all retailers. There are very, very few people at a store at any given time that are even authorized to stop a shoplifter. They can try to deter theft as much as possible, but it's pretty known by those that do this kind of thing that they won't be apprehended if they walk out with the merch. It's astounding to see what walks out the door on a daily basis.
Yeah, my younger daughter, the one who's still in college, works at the mall -- and her store is one with an exterior exit. People steal like crazy. Once I'd been shopping /was waiting by the door because we were going to grab a bite when her break came, and I saw one woman wearing a tight tee-shirt, and I could clearly see all sorts of clothing shoved under her shirt. She works in a kids' store, and people put things into their strollers /under the padding, etc.

My daughter is the unofficial liason between the store and mall security (mainly 'cause she enjoys going into their little jail). About twice a week they'll catch someone, and my daughter'll have to go down to security and identify their store mechandise. She'll come back to the store carrying $300-400 worth of merchandise ... from one shoplifter. She's learned to take a couple of their biggest bags when she goes to the little jail.
I can sort of understand the delay if no one saw it happen and later realized a section or area looked empty. Just based on my retail experience. However I am sure there are cameras that the police can review and a District manager to get them access if the manager isn't t cooperating. The $20,000 value is very believable
I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for my daughter's store -- nor does she. It's a large store with two entrances ... one into the mall, one out to the parking lot ... yet they have only one large cash register, and it's in the middle of the store. If they'd just remodel and place a cash register /some security at each end of the store, it'd be a little harder to steal. I mean, they literally have merchandise 10' from the door to the parking lot, and don't think the thieves don't notice.

The Mrs must have half that amount as often as the delivery truck brings it by. Can’t pass up a sale she says.

I had to add on to the walk in closet to keep up with the thousands upon thousands of dollars worth that my wife has.

I told her that I can't even.

My daughter worked retail on the Disney CP and said the shoplifting was rampant there. All the CM'S were supposed to do was call security and the shoplifters were always gone when security got there

This happened in the town near me. Yeah, it's a small town. Not much going on.

img_5978-1483159450-2533.jpg

They're prices are high but their staffing always seems low. Their registers are at the back of store so you can't see anyone shoplifting, and even if you did you can only deter them. Plus at our store there's two very large door ways to enter/exit. There merchandise is often begging to be stolen by how disheveled it appears.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but short of making everyone's shopping experience more like an afternoon with TSA, there really isn't much stores can do to deter theft completely. The Tiffany's store inside our metro area's most upscale mall had a smash and grab during the Christmas season.

I've heard a Target that was part of an indoor mall in the metro area had to close because it was cost prohibitive to add more security than they already had on staff. Several years back I was in a class with someone whose husband managed a Target in the area. She told me that when he shifted from one store to another he was surprised to find his new store only staffed 2 to 3 security per shift. His previous store less than ten miles away staffed 5 per shift. Apparently the closed location was staffing a dozen security personnel per shift and the loss to theft was still out of control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter