So, I think I've been "Disney Shamed"...

Happens all the time to my husband & I because we don’t have kids.
Find myself justifying it to people or avoiding telling them where I’m going, and then being annoyed with myself!

I would say Yep... why are you jealous?

A friend of mine would always say things like this... OMG how can you afford to go all the time, it such a waste of money, who can afford annual passes, why would you want to go deal with all the families and kids...much less the lines.... So I got fed up with it... and I knew how to fix it... So we went shopping... she spent 500.00 on a handbag and another 200.00 on a wallet... and I was like OMG why would you spend that much on handbag and wallet... that so crazy.... what a waste of money... I think that is just a crazy amount to spend on a silly handbag, and wallet.... so then we went to a shoe store... another 300.00 bucks on shoes... she was like what do you think... I said... I think that is so crazy to spend that much on 2 pairs of shoes... how can you afford it... Over lunch she said, You weren't very nice about me buying my handbag, wallet, or shoes, you really hurt my feelings... I looked right at her and said... Well you now know what it feels like when you say stuff about us going to Disney... and you do it all the time and that was a small taste of how you act and talk to me about something that we love... she started to say something... then she just looked at me and goes your totally right... I'm really sorry...

Do what you love... Get your Disney on!!!!

Last edited:
For me... Impossible to cut the emotional ties.

I have no interest in sports. If a ticket to the World Series was $50 that would not be of any value to me. I have paid $1,800 for a ticket to a concert I wanted to see.

If there were no baseball(Disney) fans and everyone had average feelings about baseball(Disney) I think they (MLB) would have to cut their prices to get people to go.

So while your question is an interesting one, cutting out all emotional ties is impossible.
I think this response encapsulates it perfectly. There's some nostalgia involved, but even with nostalgia set aside what Disney is really selling is an experience and the emotions that go with it. If that experience doesn't successfully ping those emotions for you, yeah, it's not going to be worth your time and money. "Value" is really hard to define in this context, especially when you try to remove emotion as a factor when you're talking about leisure and entertainment. I don't go to WDW because they have the best resorts, best food, or frankly even the best rides for the money--I go because the experience as a whole hits all the emotional notes that I find most satisfying.

And ditto on baseball, haha. If someone gave me a ticket to the World Series for free I still wouldn't go--I'd only find value in that as a gift I could pass on to someone who cares about baseball. And I'm sure there are people who wouldn't go to WDW even if someone gave them a free ticket, and I have no problem with that.

Disney parks are my happy place, a place where I can escape reality and adult responsibilities. A place I can feel safe, a place where I can go to a bar, go to a restaurant, go to a show and entertainment and not have to worry about being attacked, or assaulted.

This right here. And to offer similar thoughts from a different perspective...as a queer woman with a butch/gender non conforming partner, Disney parks are about the only vacation spot on earth aside from LGBT neighborhoods where we can totally let our guard down as a visibly lesbian couple. WDW is so welcoming and affirming to LGBT people and Disney was this way long before it started to get even a little socially acceptable. Part of it is because so many CMs are “family”. But we meet so many other LGBT guests and cool straight folks in the parks. We also don’t have to answer the awkward questions about why two women traveling alone want a king bed.

Even in progressive “hip” cities we have experienced moments of overt homophobia or awkwardness while traveling. Not so at WDW.

This right here. And to offer similar thoughts from a different perspective...as a queer woman with a butch/gender non conforming partner, Disney parks are about the only vacation spot on earth aside from LGBT neighborhoods where we can totally let our guard down as a visibly lesbian couple. WDW is so welcoming and affirming to LGBT people and Disney was this way long before it started to get even a little socially acceptable. Part of it is because so many CMs are “family”. But we meet so many other LGBT guests and cool straight folks in the parks. We also don’t have to answer the awkward questions about why two women traveling alone want a king bed.

Even in progressive “hip” cities we have experienced moments of overt homophobia or awkwardness while traveling. Not so at WDW.
That is wonderful.

Just another reason to love Disney.

@kylenne Im not LBGTQ but I totally understand you. I live in an unsafe neighbourhood, Ive been mugged at knifepoint, and now that its dark by 4.30pm I get a taxi home after work and I dont leave the house on my day off once it gets dark.

Even during the day I dont feel safe using my phone on public transport or when I am out and about.

Disney parks are my safe place, a place where I am free to be me and no one questions my actions. For the same reason Im so excited for my Disney cruise in 2020.

When your day to day life is filled with fear and you don't feel safe walking down the street, and you look over your shoulder going to and from work, wondering is the guy walking behind me going to attack me, escaping to Disney parks helps me survive my life.

Don't let there be any shame in your Disney game! :flower1:

People at my office actually come to me for trip advice at this point.
I work for a medium-large govt entity, and although I get the "Disney again?" business, I've also had calls from people I don't even know asking me for advice about taking a trip to Disney. I guess it depends on your perspective.

My brother-in-law and his wife are taking their granddaughter for 1 day in June. (Yep 1 day!) My husband and I are going for 10 days next week, without any kids. He was talking to my husband over Thanksgiving and asked, "What are you going do for 10 days?!"

LOL. I guess some people just don't know how to do Disney right.

My brother-in-law and his wife are taking their granddaughter for 1 day in June. (Yep 1 day!) My husband and I are going for 10 days next week, without any kids. He was talking to my husband over Thanksgiving and asked, "What are you going do for 10 days?!"

LOL. I guess some people just don't know how to do Disney right.

They sure don't! My gf and I will be going for 10 days in May and we don't have kids. We have multiple date nights at DS planned, a spa day at the Grand, and plenty of downtime at our resort. 10 days isn't enough for everything we want to do, honestly. But I think people who say that are the type that think all Disney has are rides (most of which are "for kids"). Like a kiddie version of Six Flags or something. They don't realize there's all these different restaurants, activities at the resorts, Disney Springs, etc. I get that a lot from my co-workers.

It's always been a big mystery to me Why going to WDW gets these results? You never hear people say, Oh, you're going to the beach again? Don't you get tired of sitting on a beach all day? Nope, never! However, when I tell people we are going to Disney, some of them still do the Why Disney again routine. Now that everyone in my family and circle of friends know how much we love Disney and go each year, they don't react that way. They just say have fun, even if they don't get it! I guess they are used to us going to WDW, even though we are "older" adults:)

My best friend gave me trouble. I told her that once we're married my fiance and I are planning to go to DL every year and WDW every five. She gave me the, 'why? why do you want to go to DL so much? why not go somewhere else?' To which I replied, "why go to the beach house every single summer? It's the beach, it doesn't change much, you rent a house every year, why?" And she didn't have a good justification other than that she loves it. So I look at her and tell her, "And I love Disney." I think she still doesn't get it. Why on earth would two totally geeky childfree adults love going to Disney so much? Because we do. (also, she tried to point out cost but her beach house for a week costs more than our last DL trip.)

My best friend gave me trouble. I told her that once we're married my fiance and I are planning to go to DL every year and WDW every five. She gave me the, 'why? why do you want to go to DL so much? why not go somewhere else?' To which I replied, "why go to the beach house every single summer? It's the beach, it doesn't change much, you rent a house every year, why?" And she didn't have a good justification other than that she loves it. So I look at her and tell her, "And I love Disney." I think she still doesn't get it. Why on earth would two totally geeky childfree adults love going to Disney so much? Because we do. (also, she tried to point out cost but her beach house for a week costs more than our last DL trip.)

To me anyone can go to the beach. Been several times and it never really changes. Disney has a very unique experience and there is always something new. Some of my favorite memories are the candid shots with my awkwardness on display (see my pic of my bounding as Flynn and failing horribly at smoldering 🤣). But seriously been three times and all three have been very different.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1575571577934.jpg
    FB_IMG_1575571577934.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 19
They do it because they have bought into the popular-in-the-wider-world perception that Disney parks are a place designed for and marketed to children and their minders, and therefore too puerile to be enjoyed by any intelligent adult. DH used to get this grief all the time from co-workers who were avid golfers/gamblers. They were always doing Las Vegas trips and just could not believe that any adult would voluntarily visit a Disney park without a child in tow.

Some years ago, at Xmas, DH was at a new job when his then-boss took all the employees out to lunch at a restaurant that was adjacent to a shopping mall. The boss had deliberately made them think that the reservation was earlier than it was, and then, as a surprise, gave them each $300 in cash and said that they had to spend it on something *for themselves* in the 45 minutes before it was time for their table to be ready; no using it to buy a gift for anyone else. Most people came back with suits or nice leather goods, sunglasses, or high-end sneakers; DH went straight to the Disney Store and bought a 10-Day Park Hopper (he had to contribute a bit of his own money to afford it, but they weren't a whole lot more than that at the time.) When he came back without a shopping bag they all thought that he'd failed to buy anything, and when he took it out of his wallet to show them, they all said that he had cheated because it wasn't for himself. When he explained that it was an adult ticket and was absolutely intended for his own use they all sat around dumbfounded and claimed that he had to be lying. He got grief about his Disney habit the entire time that he worked there.

just joining in! :-) DH and I are considering a kid-free trip in early June. we've been going pretty much every year with our 2 boys, with a couple disney cruises in there, too. people think we're nuts already! HAHA and now, i just turned 40 yesterday. and as a gift, my parents gave me some money, and an offer to watch the boys for 3-4 nights so we can get away. we're seriously considering Disney, to do some of the more adult things we've wanted to do but couldn't with the boys there. we're thinking about the Backstage Magic Tour, Villains after dark, doing some of the nicer restaurants, and even just being able to stop and watch some of the shows and things around EPCOT without the boys saying "Why are we stopping??" "Let's go!!!" I posted on facebook for suggestions on where to go- and so many people said an all inclusive at the beach, key west, things like that. And while we are definitely beach people ( we rent a house in the OBX almost every year...) i think we're looking forward to actually getting out and sightseeing/ doing things, without having to drag the kids around LOL AND i think most people don't realize exactly how many things there are to do at Disney besides just riding Its a Small World. Some of their restaurants are ranked really highly, and the deluxe hotels really give you a great experience, and there really is always something new to see. BUT i've been afraid to actually pull the trigger and book the trip because i know i'll get backlash of "you could literally go anywhere, and you're going somewhere you've been a ton of times before?? and somewhere you could easily take the kids??" HAHAHA but you know what? its my birthday present, it makes me happy and I'm gonna go enjoy it! LOL

just joining in! :-) DH and I are considering a kid-free trip in early June. we've been going pretty much every year with our 2 boys, with a couple disney cruises in there, too. people think we're nuts already! HAHA and now, i just turned 40 yesterday. and as a gift, my parents gave me some money, and an offer to watch the boys for 3-4 nights so we can get away. we're seriously considering Disney, to do some of the more adult things we've wanted to do but couldn't with the boys there. we're thinking about the Backstage Magic Tour, Villains after dark, doing some of the nicer restaurants, and even just being able to stop and watch some of the shows and things around EPCOT without the boys saying "Why are we stopping??" "Let's go!!!" I posted on facebook for suggestions on where to go- and so many people said an all inclusive at the beach, key west, things like that. And while we are definitely beach people ( we rent a house in the OBX almost every year...) i think we're looking forward to actually getting out and sightseeing/ doing things, without having to drag the kids around LOL AND i think most people don't realize exactly how many things there are to do at Disney besides just riding Its a Small World. Some of their restaurants are ranked really highly, and the deluxe hotels really give you a great experience, and there really is always something new to see. BUT i've been afraid to actually pull the trigger and book the trip because i know i'll get backlash of "you could literally go anywhere, and you're going somewhere you've been a ton of times before?? and somewhere you could easily take the kids??" HAHAHA but you know what? its my birthday present, it makes me happy and I'm gonna go enjoy it! LOL
Good for you!!!

I have to say, I'm enjoying Disney World and Disneyland much more now that DD is an adult. Of course, it was magical when she was little, especially that Christmas-New Year's trip we took the last year she believed in Santa. But, I REALLY enjoy doing the adult version of Disney. So fun.

Have a blast!!!

As a Childless Millennial (tm) couple approaching 40 ourselves, we love Disney because it's such a magical place to make memories and enjoy each other's company. Sure we love the rides and attractions but WDW is such a romantic place, and people who only ever think of it as somewhere to drag their kids for overpriced chicken nuggets really don't understand that. Our first night at the Poly last year, we were too tired to use our FPs after dinner at BOG, and went back to the resort. We shared a dole whip and watched the fireworks from the beach. During evening EMH at Epcot, we just wandered around World Showcase hand in hand exploring the countries with all the gorgeous lighting at night. The haters just don't know what they're missing.

I tend to get more comments from people about seeing Disney movies on opening night. I don’t get why it matters that my husband and I like to see them the day they come out. The same people then ask us if their kids will like the movies. 🤷‍♀️

That said, we haven’t told my husband’s family about our trips this year because we know they’ll have comments.

I tend to get more comments from people about seeing Disney movies on opening night. I don’t get why it matters that my husband and I like to see them the day they come out. The same people then ask us if their kids will like the movies. 🤷‍♀️

That said, we haven’t told my husband’s family about our trips this year because we know they’ll have comments.

I don't get the comments, but because of the whole "shaming" thing, I always feel so much more awkward because I'm a lone adult dude at a Disney movie. I'm always worried (not really) they're going to report me after the theater says "And if you see any suspicious characters".... 😅

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter